Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Stamp duty in Tasmania

If you're buying a property in Tasmania, you'll need to pay stamp duty. It's a big expense, but you may be eligible for a discount or concession.

When you buy a property in Australia, you'll normally pay a state government tax known as stamp duty. In Tasmania, this is called property transfer duty, and it's payable whenever you acquire an interest in a property.

Transfer duty can cost you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. Eligible Tasmanian first home buyers and pensioners can get 50% discounts, depending on eligibility criteria and the value of the property.

How much is stamp duty in Tasmania?

Property transfer duty in Tasmania is calculated based on either the price you have paid for the property, including GST, or the unencumbered value of the property, whichever is higher. Usually, if you purchase the property on the open market, the price you agree to pay is what is used to calculate your stamp duty.

Property transfer duty is calculated on a sliding scale ranging from 1.75% up to 4.5%, rather than a set percentage, as described in the table below:

Property valueConveyance duty payable
Up to $3,000$50
Between $3,000 and $25,000$50, plus $1.75 for every $100 over $3,000
Between $25,000 and $75,000$435, plus $2.25 for every $100 over $25,000
Between $75,000 and $200,000$1,560, plus $3.50 for every $100 over $75,000
Between $200,000 and $375,000$5,935, plus $4.00 for every $100 over $200,000
Between $375,000 and $725,000$12,935, plus $4.25 for every $100 over $375,000
More than $725,000$27,810, plus $4.50 for every $100 over $725,000

Source: State Revenue Office of Tasmania

Stamp duty calculator

You can use Finder's stamp duty calculator to estimate your transfer duty costs. Just set the state to TAS before entering your details. Note that this is just an estimate and may not reflect your actual costs.

Finder survey: What do Australians of different ages think is the biggest hurdle to getting a home loan?

Response75+ yrs65-74 yrs55-64 yrs45-54 yrs35-44 yrs25-34 yrs18-24 yrs
Getting approved for a loan with a good interest rate27.91%24.22%24.56%22.71%26.77%23.3%32.86%
The deposit27.91%39.13%44.44%46.86%44.09%40.78%25.71%
Getting a loan without typical employment18.6%11.18%8.19%8.7%4.72%12.14%12.86%
Nothing - I do not think there are hurdles16.28%13.66%5.26%5.8%3.94%1.94%2.86%
Finding the right property6.98%6.83%12.87%12.56%17.72%17.48%20%
Previous debts2.33%3.73%4.09%2.42%1.97%4.37%5.71%
Source: Finder survey by Pure Profile of 1112 Australians, December 2023

Stamp duty concessions for first home buyers

First home buyers are eligible for a 50% concession on property transfer duty when they buy an established home valued at $600,000 or less.

To qualify, the buyer must occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of six months, beginning within 12 months of the transfer. When purchasing as a couple, both parties need to be first-time buyers in order to receive the concession.

Pensioners can also receive a 50% concession when they downsize to a new home. Like the first home buyer concession, this discount only applies if the property is valued at $600,000 or less.


Ben and Jacinta are buying a home in Hobart, valued at $695,000. Neither of them has owned a property before, so they're eligible for the first home buyer concession. Instead of paying $26,535 in property transfer duty, they will only need to pay $13,267.50.

When is stamp duty payable?

Property transfer duty is payable within three months of your property purchase, and needs to be paid to the State Revenue Office (SRO). Many buyers pay their transfer duty at settlement.

You (or more likely your conveyancer) will need to lodge the required documents, such as the agreement for sale and transfer instrument, with the SRO either in person, by mail or online. You can pay when you lodge, using the SRO's Property Transfer Duty Calculator to estimate how much you owe, or wait for the SRO to send you an assessment.

The documents you lodge need to include a duty lodgement cover sheet, which is available to download from the SRO website.

More questions about Tasmania stamp duty

Written by

Rebecca Pike

Rebecca Pike is Finder's senior writer for money. She joined Finder after almost four years writing for business publications in the mortgage and finance industry, including three years as editor of Mortgage Professional Australia. She regularly appears as a money expert on programs like Sunrise and Today, as well as across radio and newspapers. She also holds ASIC-recognised certifications in Tier 1 Generic Knowledge and Tier 2 General Advice Deposit Products. See full profile

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site