Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

RAA home insurance review

RAA home insurance comes with lots of benefits and savings but it’s only open to SA residents.

4.3 ★★★★★ (56 reviews) Write a review

Our verdict

  • RAA home insurance benefits are pretty unique. You automatically become an RAA member and get access to extra benefits, from Big W discounts to money off AFL merch.
  • RAA home insurance comes with lots of discounts, including a 10% multi-policy discount, 10% seniors discounts and you can pay monthly at no extra cost – lots of other insurers we looked at charge you more for this.
  • It's not for everyone – you can only get a policy if you live in South Australia.
Sorry! We currently don't have this brand on our panel. But don't fret, you can head to the RAA home insurance website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with Finder.
Compare home insurance fast

Congratulations, RAA!

RAA won the award for 'Home Insurance - SA' in the 2023 Customer Satisfaction Awards.

Full list of 2023 winners

What does RAA home insurance cover?

You can get 3 different policy types. RAA offers home insurance, contents insurance and a combined home and contents insurance policy. To add to that, RAA also offers landlord and short stay insurance.

Some main events covered by RAA home insurance include:

RAA home insurance is issued by RAA Insurance Limited. It offers customers a choice of excess amount, a cooling-off period of 21 days and the option to pay monthly at no additional cost.

Here's the rundown of an RAA home insurance policy

Check icon

Standard features

These are some standard features that you can claim if an insured event causes loss or damage.
  • Accidental breakage of glass and sanitary fixtures
  • Credit card or ATM fraud
  • Motor burnout
  • Moving address
  • Replacement of locks
  • Spoilage of food
  • Sum insured safety net of 10%
  • Temporary accommodation

plus icon

Optional add-ons

RAA also offers more optional add-ons than many other insurers. Some of these features include:
  • Accidental damage
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Pet cover
  • Premium Choice Home Benefit
  • Specified items outside the home
  • Specified items inside the home

cross icon


RAA's general exclusions look similar to other home insurance providers. Your home insurance claim will not be paid for:

  • Acts or omissions while under the influence
  • Actions of the sea
  • Asbestos
  • Defects including faulty workmanship or design
  • Earth movement including erosion or landslide
  • Electronic information
  • Vermin and other animals
  • Wear, tear or deterioration

Make sure you read RAA's Product Disclosure Statement for a more detailed breakdown of what's not covered. You can also head to general exclusions for more information.

Here's some information on RAA home insurance complaints

We reviewed some of the latest complaints data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July 2020 and June 2021. This data looks at how different underwriters respond to and resolve complaints.

Here are some things we noticed about RAA home insurance:

  • RAA is considered a medium-sized firm but it does have a relatively high number of complaints when compared to others of its size.
  • This is the same case with AIG; however, you can see that RAA has a higher percentage of claims that were resolved directly with its customers.

This is the bottom line about RAA

RAA home insurance comes with a stack of included benefits along with many chances to save on your premium. Plus, your policy comes with an RAA membership so you can take advantage of the many discounts and rewards for policyholders.

The downsides? One big one is that you need to live in South Australia to get a policy. If this doesn't sound like the one for you, you can compare other home insurance brands side by side so that you end up with a policy you're happy with.

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions

Leave an RAA home insurance review

If you've held, or currently hold, an RAA home insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if RAA is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MMarch 26, 2019

    Can I ask for cash instead off store voucher when making a claim on jewellery

      JohnMarch 27, 2019Finder

      Hi M,

      Thank you for reaching out to Finder.

      Depending on the settlement of the claim, you may request this directly to the company representative if it is possible to have the claim converted into cash instead. Hope this helps!


Go to site