We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Bank of Melbourne Home Insurance is backed by Westpac and offers cover for both homeowners and renters. You can choose from three policy types; combined home and contents insurance, building insurance and contents insurance.
You may also be eligible for discounts if you sign up online and get a combined policy.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Bank of Melbourne website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
Bank of Melbourne home insurance cover options
Essential Care policies are designed to provide a basic level of cover for your home and contents against a wide range of common risks. Events that are insured include storm, fire, theft, flood, lightning and malicious damage. Cover also includes $20 million of legal liability if you cause injury to someone else or damage another person’s property. Other benefits include sum insured safety nets for your building and contents, emergency accommodation costs and cover for jewellery and watches.
- Earthquake, escape of liquid, explosion, fire, flood, impact, lightning, malicious acts, riot or civil commotion, storm, theft
- Sum insured safety net
- $20 million legal liability cover
- Emergency accommodation costs
- Jewellery, artworks, collections and collectibles
- Optional personal valuables cover
- Pay by the month at no extra cost
Quality Care offers all the same benefits as an Essential Care policy, but has higher limits for many of the benefits. It also adds cover for accidental glass breakage and electrical motor burnout, as well as for cash, cheques and money orders. Legal liability protection of $20 million is again included.
- All the same features as Essential Care but with added features and benefits
- Higher benefit limits
- Accidental glass breakage
- Electrical motor burnout
- Cash, cheques, money orders
- Sum insured safety net
Designed to offer comprehensive cover for your home and contents, Premier Care is the highest level of protection available from Bank of Melbourne insurance. It offers all the same benefits as Quality Care but has increased limits, such as up to $20,000 cover for artworks and collections, and increased sum insured safety nets for buildings (up to 30% of sum insured) and contents (up to 20% of sum insured). It also covers accidental loss or damage to your building and contents, as well as for your contents while they are temporarily removed from the insured address.
- All the same features as Quality Care but with added features and benefits
- Higher benefit limits
- Accidental loss or damage
- Landscaping and garden re-establishment costs
- Unsecured fixtures and materials during renovations
- Contents in transit
Bank of Melbourne home insurance excess
If a claim on your Bank of Melbourne home insurance policy is accepted, you will need to pay an excess. This is the amount you must contribute to the cost of a claim, and any excesses payable are shown on your policy schedule.
A minimum basic excess of $100 applies, but you also have the option to increase this by adding a voluntary excess which will lower your premiums. The following total basic excess (minimum basic excess plus any voluntary excess) options are available:
However, you should also be aware that the insurer may choose to impose an additional excess due to risk-based underwriting criteria.
Who is eligible for Bank of Melbourne home insurance?
Bank of Melbourne’s home and contents policies only offer cover to residential properties located in Australia. Cover is subject to the insurer accepting your policy application and receiving the necessary premium payment on time.
Making a claim
If something happens to your home or contents, the claims process with Bank of Melbourne is designed to be as quick and easy as possible. All you have to do is follow a few simple steps:
- Submit your claim. You can submit a claim by phoning the insurer or filling out an online form with details of the incident leading to your claim. Alternatively, you can print out and complete a paper claim form, then submit it along with your supporting documentation.
- Advise the police. You should immediately advise the police if anything has been stolen, if your home has been broken into, or if there has been any malicious damage. You also must not allow anyone to repair the property until the insurer has had a chance to inspect it.
- Provide important information. You will be sent a letter to confirm your claim and case number, as well as details of any further information or documents you need to provide.
If no further information or documentation is required, your claim will be settled within 10 business days. You can contact them on 1300 020 266 for more information.
Some final questions
More guides on Finder
Bank of Melbourne Basic Home Loan review
Read a review of the Bank of Melbourne Basic Home Loan and apply.
Bank of Melbourne Standard Variable Rate Home Loan
The Bank of Melbourne Standard Variable Rate Home Loan is a flexible home loan with a 100% offset account, redraw facility and flexible repayments.
Ask an Expert