With energy prices rising, switch to a cheaper plan
Compare Prices Now

Does home insurance cover mould damage?

No, home insurance doesn't usually cover mould damage. Discover why there may be some rare exceptions to this rule. Also, get tips to prevent mould in the home.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

What you need to know

  • Most home insurance policies don't cover mould as it's considered to be preventable.
  • You may have grounds to claim if mould comes about as a direct result of an insured event.
  • An example could be if a natural disaster damages your roof which then leads to mould.

Does home insurance cover mould damage?

In most cases, no. You can safely assume that home insurance won’t cover any damage caused by mould or for mould removal or cleaning. Mould and fungus is typically found as a general exclusion in home insurance policies, and will not be covered in any way.

However, there are some exceptions. For example, Youi's home insurance PDS states: "We will not pay for death or bodily injury to any person, or loss or damage to property, caused directly or indirectly by[...]mould, rot, damp, or the effects of the climate or weather, unless as a direct result of an incident for which we have accepted a claim".

This doesn't mean that you will be covered, since you can generally still take measures to prevent mould from developing, but it does suggest you could be entitled to some cover.

Why doesn’t home insurance cover mould damage?

Home insurance won’t cover mould damage for two main reasons. Firstly, some mould growth is almost unavoidable, especially in more tropical areas of Australia. Secondly, it doesn't usually cause any damage if taken care of as quickly as possible.

So mould itself is unavoidable, while mould damage is preventable. Neither of those situations is intended to be covered by home insurance.

What to do if you’re a tenant with mould issues

You’ll want to fix it as soon as possible. Depending on the surface, the extent of the problem and the type of mould, this might be as easy as simply wiping it away with a cloth, or it might need professional cleaning services.

In all cases, you’ll want to make sure you follow the preventative steps going forwards. Without doing so, it’s probably just going to come back again quickly.

The cost of a mould removal service depends on the extent of the problem, the type of mould and the location. A quote might range from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

For example, you might be able to clean it away yourself for free, and then open a window. Or you might be paying thousands of dollars for actual home renovations in order to eliminate a source of rising damp. If this is the case, you need to involve the landlord.

When is a landlord responsible for mould?

Whether the landlord or the tenant is responsible for mould depends on the situation.

Generally, the landlord will only be responsible if the mould is there because of the landlord’s failure to fulfill their obligations.

This might be:

  • A failure to clean the property before renting it out to a new tenant
  • A failure to fix a shower leak, which has led to mould growth
  • A failure to repair a leaking ceiling, which has led to mould growth
  • Ongoing problems with the building itself, such as rising damp

Meanwhile, the tenant might be responsible when the mould is caused by:

  • A failure to inform the landlord of problems with the property. For example, if the tenant knows there’s a leaky pipe beneath the sink but doesn’t tell anyone.
  • A failure to take reasonable steps to prevent mould growth, such as airing out a room or opening the windows to clear out moisture faster

So, who’s responsible for mould?

Both the tenant and the landlord have certain obligations under a rental contract. If the growth of the mould, and subsequent damage, can be clear tied to the failure of one party to meet their obligations then that’s probably the party that’s responsible for it.

What to do if you’re a landlord with mould problems?

Landlord insurance will also typically exclude mould damage. Whether you’re a tenant, a landlord or a homeowner, insurance companies don’t want anything to do with mould.

If you’ve found that a tenant’s property has damage from mould, you may want to:

  • Determine the cause.
  • Assess the extent of the damage and take steps to minimise and fix it where possible.

If extensive mould damage was caused by a failure on the part of the tenants, then it’s safe to say they probably won’t be getting their bond back.

If you’re a landlord and find that the damage is extensive, you might take legal action to have the tenant cover that damage.

Note that your own obligations as landlords will probably also come under the magnifying glass when you do, and the final verdict will come down to the court’s decision.

Steps to prevent mould in the home

The factors that contribute to mould growth are:

  • Moisture. This is the number one risk factor. Leaks, soggy clothes lying around, rising damp or humid weather can all lead to moisture in the home.
  • A lack of airflow. Enclosed spaces with a lack of airflow are more prone to mould growth.
  • Darkness. Sunlight can help prevent mould growth. Similarly, enclosed spaces such as cupboards are also typically dark spaces. A soggy cloth in a drawer, for example, will almost certainly grow mould quickly.
  • Heat. More species of mould thrive in warmer conditions than colder ones.

Moisture is the number one consideration, because mould will typically not grow without it. But sometimes it might be impossible to prevent, in which case you need to pay closer attention to the other risk factors listed above.

Protect the rest of your home with the right policy

Name Product Building Cover Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Sum Insured Safeguard Online Discount Cheapest way to pay
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
Get a 20% discount on your contents insurance if you have a car insurance policy with Youi. Excludes NSW & SA CTP green slips. T&Cs apply.
Honey Home & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Sign up and get free smart sensors (worth $250) to install around the home for accident prevention. T&Cs apply.
Bendigo Bank Home & Contents Insurance
Buy a new home or landlord insurance policy by 30 June 2022 and you’ll go into a draw to win $10,000. T&Cs apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
ANZ Home & Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
The only direct Australian home insurance provider to offer full building replacement cover as a standard feature.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you sign up. Plus, you could win a $2,000 bp gift card just by getting a quote. T&Cs apply.
Woolworths Comprehensive Building and Contents
Save up to 20% when you buy a Woolworths Home and Contents insurance policy online. Plus, Everyday Rewards Members will save 10% on their monthly shop. T&Cs apply.
Real Top Home and Contents Insurance
Save up to 20% when you purchase combined Home and Contents online.
Virgin Home and Contents Insurance
Purchase a new eligible Virgin Home and Contents Insurance policy online and you'll also save 30% on your first year’s premium. T&Cs Apply.
Westpac Home and Contents Insurance
Monthly or Annually
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER
St. George Home and Contents
Monthly or Annually
Save up to 25% when you purchase cover online. Promo code: COVER

Compare up to 4 providers

Get the latest home insurance news

Is your home underinsured? 6 ways to avoid the worst
Home Insurance

Is your home underinsured? 6 ways to avoid the worst

Thousands of homeowners are at risk and don’t even realise it. But the problem is easy to fix as soon as you know about it.

Read more…
Climate change is making 1 in 25 homes uninsurable: Check if your home is at risk

Climate change is making 1 in 25 homes uninsurable: Check if your home is at risk

A new report by Climate Council suggests many homes will be effectively uninsurable by 2030.

Read more…
5 ways to tackle mould after floods

5 ways to tackle mould after floods

Learn tips on reducing mould damage and preventing issues from developing in your home

Read more…

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site