Club Cheque from Heritage Bank provides charitable and non-profit groups a way to manage their money without minimal fees. With low or no fees for most transactions, you can ensure that the bulk of your non-profit contributions are being spent on something worthy.
What are the features of the Heritage Bank Club Cheque account?
Non-profit and charitable organisations have unique needs about managing their finances, including a responsibility to make sure that the bulk of their collected funds are going to the intended purpose. To ensure that yours are, and from an account that is easy to manage, you should compare the features of several similar accounts from various Australian financial institutions before deciding which one is best for your organisation:
- Availability. In order to be eligible for Bank Cheque, you must be representing an Australian non-profit or charitable organisation.
- Minimum operating balance. You must be able to maintain a minimum balance of one dollar in order for the Club Cheque account to remain active.
- Interest rate. There is a nominal interest rate with this account that is applied to your entire daily balance and paid into the account quarterly.
- Monthly account keeping fee. Your charitable organisation will not have to pay any monthly fees for the use of this account.
- Available transaction methods. You are provided with a free chequebook with this account plus you have the option of banking online and over the phone. Online and phone banking allows you to set up any direct debits or periodical payments from the account.
- Transaction fees. Your charitable organisation will not be charged any fees for using the available transaction methods.
- Making deposits. Deposits of cash, money orders and cheques can be made for free at any Heritage Bank branch or mini branch. You can also opt to send any cheques or money orders to Heritage Bank through the mail so long as you also include your Club Cheque account number.
- No account keeping fees
- No transaction fees
- Cheque book available
- Minimum of $100 required as an opening deposit
- No debit card access
How do I apply for the Heritage Bank Club Cheque account?
All Heritage Bank accounts including the Club Cheque are only available to existing members. In order to open this account you must also apply for membership at the same time. This can be done online but keep in mind that you will be asked to pay a $1 fee for your membership share of the credit union. Other eligibility requirements for this account include:
- Minimum age. While there is no stipulation made for how old you must be to open a Club Cheque account, you will need to be a verifiable representative of a non-profit or charitable organisation.
- Residency requirements. The non-profit or charitable organisation you represent must be in operation in Australia, and you will have to be a permanent resident or citizen of Australia in order for the application to be accepted.
- Depository requirements. There is a minimum of $100 required as an opening deposit for this account.
You can make filling in the application online faster and easier by having the following documentation ready before you begin:
- Tax file number. For any account opened that can earn interest, Heritage Bank will request your tax file number (TFN). You are not obligated to provide this information, but if you don’t, Heritage Bank is required by law to withhold tax on your interest earnings. In lieu of your TFN you could also quote your organisations Australian Business Number (ABN) if applicable in order to avoid the withholding tax.
- Identification. Not only will the individual opening the Club Cheque account need to verify their identity with a photo ID such as a passport or driver’s licence, but so will any other member of the organisation who will be given the authority to make transactions with this account or act as a signatory.
When you have completed filling in the application it will be submitted to Heritage Bank for review. Once accepted, you will receive a notification that outlines the account number and other details that will allow your non-profit organisation to begin making its daily transactions using the account.