CUA Health Insurance
With 40 years' experience in health care, CUA Health offers a wide range of hospital and extras policies.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Who is CUA Health?
While well-known for its range of banking products and services, CUA also has more than 40 years experience in private health insurance. CUA Health has been helping Australians look after their wellbeing since 1976, offering a choice of hospital and extras policies to allow you to customise cover to suit your needs.
CUA Health services 0.6% of the Australian health insurance market. Its parent company, CUA, has more than 500,000 members and is a mutual organisation.
What health insurance options are available?
CUA provides Hospital cover and Extra cover, giving a wide range of benefits while at the same time being affordable to the budget conscious.
- Basic Saver Plus Hospital. This entry level hospital cover comes with a $500 excess, an extra 2% to 10% discount if you're between 18-29 years old and includes services like miscarriage and termination of pregnancy, joint reconstructions and more.
- Bronze Plus Hospital. This level of cover includes all the care you get with bronze, as well as extra services including sleep studies, lung and chest, skin and more, which aren't usually available at this level of cover.
- Standard Hospital (Silver Plus). A higher level of cover, Silver Plus protects you for all of the Basic services, plus cardiac-related services, diabetes management, cancer treatment and more. An excess applies of your choice, either $500 or $750.
- Premium Hospital Non-Obstetrics (Silver Plus). Comprehensive cover (excluding pregnancy, reproductive services and weight loss surgery) This hospital cover is for those looking for a wide range of cover but still looking for a more affordable alternative to gold cover. You can select a $250, $500 or $750 excess to reduce your premium.
- Premium Hospital (Gold). CUA Health's top hospital policy, this option covers a wide range of treatments and services including pregnancy (including childbirth), IVF and weight loss surgery. You can choose between an excess amount of $0, $250, $500 or $750.
- 50% Extras. Basic Extras cover for Dental and Physiotherapy at the healthcare provider of your choice, and receive 50% back of each treatment cost, up to a combined $500 limit per year.
- Essential Extras. Covering common extra services such as dental (with bonus dental for kids), optical, physiotherapy and chiropractic services, plus alternative therapy.
- 60% Extras. Get 60% back on your treatment costs for major dental and a $500 combined limit for Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Osteopathy, Wellness Benefits and Alternative Therapy.
- Classic Extras. For those looking for a wide range of extras cover, Classic Extras include podiatry, psychology, dietetics and nutrition, and bonus dental for kids and adults.
- 75% Extras. Cover for the full range of services, you'll receive 75% back of the cost of your treatment on each visit, up to your annual limit.
- Total Extras. Comprehensive extras cover for those wanting a complete health insurance solution for out of hospital services. It includes generous annual benefit limits on general and major dental (including orthodontics), optical, physiotherapy, and much more.
- Healthy Start Package (Basic Plus). Great for the young, fit and healthy, it's the ideal cover to get you started and includes a Healthy Start Bonus to increase your benefits on extras.
CUA - Health insurance reforms 2019
From 1 April 2019, all health insurance products must fit into a hospital tier – Gold, Silver, Bronze or Basic, with standardised definitions for procedures within each tier. CUA's last product update was in 2016, and these policies have been fine-tuned further and aligned to fit the government's new policy framework.
Young people discount
CUA offers some Hospital and Extras discount options to people under 30.
- New Extras covers. From 1 April 2019, additional Extras options will be available, providing younger members with lower price points when choosing to buy Extras cover for the first time.
- Hospital health cover discounts for younger members. CUA is adopting hospital health cover discounts of up to 2% for every year a member is under 30 years of age, and up to 10% for 18-25 year olds.
CUA offers a range of benefits for their members.
- Cover for kids until the age of 23. Your children are covered on family or single-parent policies until the age of 23 or 25 if they're studying full time.
- Extra dental for kids. CUA extras provide additional benefits to help cover routine dental services for children. There is no-gap up to a total value of $250 per visit for two visits a year.
- Choose your own provider. CUA does not have any preferred providers, so you are free to choose any registered health care provider you want.
- Up to 20% off at OPSM. CUA Health members can take advantage of 20% off lenses and lens extras, 15% off non-prescription sunglasses, 10% off contact lenses purchased in-store and 5% off contact lenses purchased online.
- Up to 25% off at Specsavers. CUA Health Insurance members can enjoy 25% off a single pair of glasses from the Specsavers $149 or above range plus 20% off lens options and free digital retinal photography.
- Discount for CUA members. CUA offers a 4% discount on health insurance if you pay your premiums via direct debit from a CUA transaction account.
- Discounts for CUA home loan customers. If you also have a CUA Rate Breaker Home Loan, you're entitled to enjoy one month of free CUA Health insurance premiums each year.
- Increasing benefit limits. If you choose Total Extras, CUA Health's top extras cover option, the maximum benefit limit for physio, chiro and Wellness Benefits increases each year for the first three years of cover.
- Range of excess options. CUA Health offers hospital cover policies with a range of excess options available. By choosing a policy with an excess you can enjoy lower premiums.
- Competitions. CUA Health members can also access exclusive competitions.
CUA Wellness Benefits
CUA also provides a number of wellness benefits. These include:
- Weight control. This includes CUA Health approved weight management programs.
- Exercise classes & gym membership benefit. This is intended for CUA members whose doctor has prescribed an exercise program..
- Health checks and screenings. You can claim benefits for doctor's health checks and Healthy Heart checks.
- Health Association fees and subscriptions. You can claim benefits for a number of health management programs including Coeliac Society, Diabetes Australia, Heart Foundation, Arthritis foundation, Australian Breastfeeding Association and more.
- Quit smoking. CUA also supports a number of quit smoking programs, including Hypnotherapy and Nicotine replacement therapy.
- Learn to swim. You can get swimming lessons at an AUSTSWIM or Swim Australia-recognised centre.
- Travel Vaccinations. You can get cover for travel vaccinations, whenever they are not claimable under Medicare.
- Mammograms. If it is not covered by Medicare, CUA can pay benefits towards mammograms.
- Travel Expenses. You can claim travel expenses within Australia for hospital admissions when you're away from your residence and the return trip is more than the kilometres specified in the Member Guide.
How to make a claim
There are several ways you can lodge an extras claim with CUA Health:
- In person. If the health care provider supports the HICAPS system, you can swipe your CUA Health membership card on the spot to claim instantly.
- Via the CUA Health app. You can submit your claim via the CUA Health Mobile Claiming app by uploading a photo of your receipt. Claims of under $300 will be assessed immediately and the funds transferred to your bank account.
- Online. You can log into the CUA Health Online Services portal to upload a photo of your receipt and submit your claim. Claims of under $300 will be assessed immediately, and the funds transferred to your bank account.
- At a CUA branch. You can lodge your claim in person at your nearest CUA branch.
- By fax or mail. You can also complete a claim form and then return it, along with your receipt, to CUA Health by fax or post.
More guides on Finder
CUA health insurance offers
What discounts and special offers is CUA Health offering to new customers? Find out here.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert