Budget Direct vs Bingle Car Insurance
Budget Direct or Bingle? We highlight the differences to help you choose.
Budget Direct's comprehensive car insurance includes benefits like a no claims discount, adjustable excesses and lower premiums if you apply age restrictions. Bingle's comprehensive car insurance policy provides low-cost coverage for essentials like hail storm damage and theft. But who has the cover you need? Find out with our quickfire comparison.
What differences are there between Budget Direct car insurance and Bingle?
Here are some of the main differences between Budget Direct car insurance and Bingle car insurance:
- Both Bingle and Budget Direct give you the option to adjust your excess. Bingle have following excess options: $650, $795, $895, $1,100, $1,400, $1,700, $2,200 . Budget Direct have excess options of $650, $750, $850, $950, $1,050, $1,150, $1,250 and $1,850.
- Budget Direct comes with 'new car replacement'. If you purchased a new car and it becomes a total loss in less than 2 years, Budget Direct and Bingle will replace it with a new car wherever possible. This is an optional extra with Bingle.
- Bingle has a 'keep mobile' option as an optional extra. While your car is under repair, the 'keep mobile' option extends insurance coverage to the vehicle you are using (for example, your partner's car) or provide you with a hire car. However, cover for loss or damage to the car being used is limited to its market value.
- Personal items are covered with Budget Direct. Budget Direct's comprehensive policy will cover you for up to $500 and also up to $500 for child seats or capsules while in the car.
- Budget Direct provides a no claims discount; Bingle does not.
How do both brands compare?
|About the provider|
In 2007 the Suncorp Group created Bingle which consists of a small team of 20 people. They are backed by the Suncorp Group.
Budget Direct has been in insurance since 2000 and has covered over 3 million Australians since then. They keep their prices low by providing restrictions on high risk drivers.
Bingle is underwritten by AAMI and backed by the Suncorp Group
Auto & General Insurance Company Limited
Comprehensive Car Insurance & Third party property damage insurance
Comprehensive, Third Party Property, Fire and Theft, Third Party Property Only
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement|
|Trailer and caravan cover|
|No claim discount|
|Pay in full discount|
|Get quote||Get quote|
*Always read through the product disclosure statement (PDS) to make sure the product is suitable for you.
Finder Award Winner: Budget Direct Car Insurance
Budget Direct won the 2019 Finder Award for Best Value Car Insurance because it was one of the more affordable policies on the market, whilst still providing strong coverage for your car.
Their policy boasts flood and storm cover, 24/7 phone assistance, adjustable excess, optional roadside assistance, a hire car, towing costs, and even a hail warning SMS system.
15% off first year's premium for new policies purchased online. T&Cs apply.
24/7 roadside assistance for less than $1.60 a week
What benefits do Budget Direct and Bingle car insurance offer?
Here are some of Budget Direct and Bingle's main benefits:
- Driver-age restriction. If you want to lower your premiums, you can restrict the age of drivers on a Budget Direct policy, including drivers aged 21+, 25+, 30+, 40+ or 50+.
- Low kilometres policy. Budget Direct will lower your premium if you travel 12,000km or less a year in your vehicle.
- New car cover. If you replace your car with another car, Bingle gives you up to 14 consecutive days of automatic cover for that replacement car before you need to tell them about it.
- New car replacement. If you purchased a new car and it becomes a total loss in less than 2 years, Budget Direct will replace it with a new car wherever possible.
- Budget Direct Discount. There's 15% off when you sign up online with Budget Direct.
- Hail alert service. Budget Direct also has a hail alert service, which you'll get access to if you sign up to a policy.
- Windscreen and window glass only cover. Bingle and Budget Direct will allow you to claim damages without charging any excess if your car's window glass is damaged but nothing else is.
- Copycat Cover. If, due to an incident covered by Bingle, your car is not safe to drive, or is at an approved repairer, or has been stolen, you'll receive their Copycat Cover. This means that you'll receive the same insurance cover for whatever car is being used in place of your usual car.
Who is the underwriter for Bingle and Budget Direct?
Bingle is backed by the Suncorp Group, one of the leading financial services providers in Australia, with brands including Suncorp, AAMI, GIO, Apia and Shannons.
Budget Direct's car insurance policies, on the other hand, are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited. Part of BHL group some of Auto & General Insurance Company Limited's businesses include ING, Virgin, Aus Post and Ozicare.
Ask an Expert