The easy guide to stamp duty in Victoria

Calculator for stamp dutyFind out how much stamp duty Victorians have to pay, calculate your own costs and work out if you're eligible for land transfer duty exemptions and concessions.

Stamp duty is an Australian tax on certain purchases, including real estate. When buying or otherwise taking possession of homes or land, it’s referred to as the land transfer duty. A typical home purchase will often include tens of thousands of dollars in land transfer duties.

Fortunately there are concessions and exemptions to help keep costs down. In many cases, you won’t have to pay any stamp duty on property purchases at all.

How is stamp duty calculated in Victoria?

The amount of duty payable is calculated on a sliding scale, starting at 1.4% for properties whose dutiable value is $25,000 and going up to 5.5% for properties with a dutiable value of $960,000 and above.

The dutiable value of the home is the greater of either the purchase price (including any non-monetary obligations), or the home’s value on the open market.

Dutiable value range Duty payable
Up to $25,000 1.4% of the dutiable value of the property
$25,001 to $130,000 $350 plus 2.4% of the dutiable value in excess of $25,000
$130,001 to $960,000 $2,870 plus 6% of the dutiable value in excess of $130,000
$960,001 and above 5.5% of the dutiable value

Figures correct at time of publication and subject to change. Source: State Revenue Office of Victoria

Rates may vary depending on:

  • If you’re a foreign buyer or an Australian resident
  • If you’re a first home buyer, or not
  • Whether it’s going to be your primary residence or an investment property
  • Whether you’re buying land or a building
  • Whether you’re buying the property, or taking possession of it in another way
  • Any other exemptions and concessions you’re entitled to, such as for pensioners

You can use a stamp duty calculator to find out how much duty may be payable.

VIC stamp duty calculator

Use this calculator to get an estimate of your stamp duty costs on property in Victoria. Select VIC in the input box to ensure you get the right calculation.

First home buyer? Learn how to find the right home loan here

Are there stamp duty concessions for first home buyers?

There’s a range of land transfer duty concessions and complete exemptions, especially for first home buyers in Victoria.

Stamp duty exemption for first home buyers

As of 1 July 2017, first home buyers in Victoria may be exempt from stamp duty on eligible purchases.

You, and your partner if applicable, must both qualify as first home buyers and be Australian citizens or permanent residents. New Zealanders on a special category visa are also eligible.

Eligible purchases

The full exemption only applies to homes with a dutiable value up to $600,000. For homes valued at $600,000 to $750,000, you can still get partial exemption.

You must be buying your principal place of residence. This means you need to live in it for at least 12 continuous months, starting within 12 months of taking possession.

If you’re eligible for stamp duty exemption, there may also be other, additional concessions or benefits available.

One example is the first home owner’s grant, or the off-the-plan concession explained below.

Are there any other stamp duty concessions or exemptions in Victoria?

Land transfer duties are also exempt for:

  • Land transfers from deceased persons to their beneficiaries
  • Transfers between spouses and partners, including transfers after breakups such as part of a divorce settlement
  • Certain corporate consolidations or reconstructions

Other concessions include:

  • The principal place of residence (PPR) concession
  • Off-the-plan purchase concessions
  • Pensioner duty exemption or concession
  • Charity and friendly society concessions
  • Young farmer exemptions or concessions

Learn more about each exemption:

How do I claim a stamp duty concession or exemption in Victoria?

You can apply for a duty or concession through Victoria’s State Revenue Office.

I have few more questions about stamp duty in Victoria

Compare a wide range of home loan options here

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Home Loan Offers

Important Information*
UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate - Discount offer for Owner Occupiers, P&I Borrowing over $200,000

Take advantage of a low-fee mortgage with a special interest rate of just 3.59% p.a. and a 3.59% p.a. comparison rate.

HSBC Home Value Loan - (Owner Occupier P&I)

Get a low interest rate loan with no ongoing fees. Plus you can make extra repayments and free redraw online. Available with just a 10% deposit. Essentials - Variable (Owner Occupier, P&I)

A competitive interest rate home loan with interest only options. Interest rate 3.64% p.a.
comp rate of 3.66% p.a.

Tic:Toc Live in Loan Variable Rate - Principal & Interest

Get a very low interest rate and avoid big fees. Apply online for full approval in under 30 minutes and add a 100% offset account for $10 a month.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

12 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    Sunny-LouJanuary 15, 2019

    My daughter, who is a beneficiary under my will, has moved into my home with me and she wants to buy half of the property and then renovate it.. I am prepared to gift her half of the property now as it will be hers anyway!
    Do I have to pay stamp duty on this transaction?
    Thank you for your help

    • finder Customer Care
      ValJanuary 19, 2019Staff

      Hi Sunny-Lou,

      Thank you for leaving a question.

      Stamp duty is generally payable even if there is a simple transfer,
      though Land transfer duties are also exempt for:

      Land transfers from deceased persons to their beneficiaries
      Transfers between spouses and partners, including transfers after breakups such as part of a divorce settlement
      Certain corporate consolidations or reconstructions

      You may want to visit Victoria’s State Revenue Office to get specific information on this since your daughter is also the rightful heir and is listed on the will.


  2. Default Gravatar
    GraemeDecember 13, 2018

    My father has two farm properties, the first farm properties I am the sole beneficiary hence I understand I will be exempt from stamp duty. The second property I am not a beneficiary however I have the first option to purchase at valuation price, can I obtain stamp duty exemption on this property? I have heard by puting a “stamp duty free” clause in the will will give me exemption, is this possible? Thankyou

    • finder Customer Care
      MayDecember 20, 2018Staff

      Hi Graeme,

      Thanks for your question.

      Stamp duty is generally payable even if there is a simple transfer, say your father transfers a part of the farm to your name. However, depending on the value of the property, the type of property and your personal circumstances, you may be exempt from paying this tax. Just to confirm, is your property located in Victoria? If so, in Victoria, a full exemption from duty is available on farmland valued at no more than $600,000.

      While we’re not sure if putting a “stamp duty free” clause in the will exempts you from paying the tax, it would be best to check with your local state revenue office to be sure. Meantime, it might be helpful to check this page as your guide on stamp duty applicable to farm properties in Victoria.

      I hope this has helped.


  3. Default Gravatar
    LynnDecember 12, 2018

    I am purchasing a unit as PPR and my husband is a pensioner, can I claim exemption from stamp duty? I am listed on his pension card.

    • finder Customer Care
      JeniDecember 17, 2018Staff

      Hi Lynn,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      You can claim an exemption if the home is valued at $330,000 or less or an concession (discount) if the value is between $330,001 and $750,000. Even if only one person is a pensioner you can still claim the exemption on the property up to $330,000. You may learn more detailed answer on this query here at the Victorian government’s state revenue office website.

      I hope this helps.

      Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other enquiries.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  4. Default Gravatar
    KerrieNovember 30, 2018

    Just wanting to know how my daughter can get stamp duty exemption if she purchases our home from us (at market value).

    • finder Customer Care
      JhezelynDecember 6, 2018Staff

      Hello Kerrie,

      Thank you for your comment.

      Please note that there are some exemptions depending on what state you live in. Upon checking, there is an exemption from stamp duty in Victoria for the transfer of property from a legal personal representative to a beneficiary (gifting a property).

      Your daughter may have to check your local revenue office to confirm if she qualifies. As a general guide, you may want to read our article about “Can you avoid fees and charges when transferring property within the family?”

      Should you wish to have real-time answers to your questions, try our chat box on the lower right corner of our page.


  5. Default Gravatar
    CassieSeptember 19, 2018


    Just wondering what happens if you don’t move in to your property for the entire 12 months as required, to have claimed the stamp duty exemption? Or is it fine as long as you haven’t gained taxable income/rent from the property?

    • finder Customer Care
      JeniSeptember 20, 2018Staff

      Hi Cassie,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      You need to live continuously in the property for 12 months to get the concession.

      From the Vic government website: “You must live in your property as your principal place of residence for a continuous period of 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement, to maintain your eligibility for the duty exemption or concession. In limited circumstances, we may vary this requirement.”

      I hope this helps.

      Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other enquiries.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


  6. Default Gravatar
    stephenMarch 11, 2018

    Hi I’m a first home buyer my house will be 420000 there about when I first applied for my home loan I was told no stamp duty was to be paid but 5 days out from settlement of land got told to stamp duty up front of 7000 was to be paid but will be returned when the house is done, is this correct or wrong?

    • finder Customer Care
      MayMarch 21, 2018Staff

      Hi Stephen,

      Thanks for your question.

      Is your property located in Victoria? If you’ve met the eligibility criteria for the first home owner grant in Victoria you’ll also be exempted from paying the stamp duty and will not pay $7000. I would suggest that you contact your local revenue office to confirm this and your eligibility for the stamp duty exemption.


Ask a question
Go to site