With 6 extras cover options to choose from, Mildura Health Fund aim to have a policy for everyone, including dental only cover.
Mildura Health Fund (MDHF) are a not-for-profit regional health insurance fund that was established in 1929 in Victoria. Growing since then to one of Australia's most widely recognised private health insurers, today, they provide cover for over 32,500 Australians.
With 6 extras cover options – Five Star, Mid Extras & Dental, Mid Extras, Base Extras & Dental, Base Extras and Dental – they aim to have a policy for everyone, from young singles to families.
Top 3 features
- Good for those who want dental only cover.
- Good for Health Management Benefits that includes personal training, swimming lessons and health-screening tests.
- Not-for-profit organisation that covers all bases.
What Extras Cover is available?
Mildura Health Fund have 6 extras cover options you can choose from. Many Australians are simply looking for good dental cover when it comes to their extras cover, which is why MDHF have dental only cover as well as a range of other options that may suit you:
- Dental. Mildura Health Fund have agreements with the majority of local dentists to keep out of pocket expenses to a minimum. Their Gap Free preventative Dental pays 100% of the fee if you see a Super Dental provider. You will also get some cover for general dental, orthodontics and major dental work.
- Base extras. Ideal for young couples and singles looking for the basics, this includes some benefits for physiotherapy, optical, podiatry, chiropractic, eye therapy, certain health aids and appliances and more. You can combine this policy with dental or take as standalone cover.
- Mid extras. Best for those who want cover for the essentials, this option comes with the same services as Base extras but has higher benefits. It also adds some cover for natural therapies, clinical psychology, home nursing, pharmacy, and more. You can combine this policy with dental or take as standalone cover.
- Five star. Ideal for the elderly, families and those with on-going health issues, Mildura Health's most comprehensive cover for all the essentials and more, with larger benefits than Mid extras and significantly increased dental benefits. It also includes Mildura Health's Five Star Health Management Benefits, which provides benefits for swimming lessons, personal training and more. Five Star extras cover also gives you health-screening tests like mole mapping, weight management, quit smoking programs and lung function testing.
Extras Cover Inclusions
|Physiotherapy & Other Therapies||Physiotherapy|
|Chiropractic & Osteopathic||Chiropractic|
|Clinical Psychology||Clinical Psychology|
|Optical||Prescription Glasses & Contact Lenses|
|Ambulance Subscription||Ambulance subscription refund|
|Eye Therapy & Audiology||Eye Therapy|
|Speech Pathology||Speech Pathology|
|Home Nursing||District Visiting Nurse|
|Pharmacy||Non PBS prescriptions|
|Health Aids & Appliances||Blood Glucose & Pressure Monitor|
|Braces & Splints|
|Artificial limbs & prosthesis|
Other benefits of Extras Cover
- Five Star Health Management Benefits with Five Star Extras cover only. This gives you access to a range of services including your own personal trainer to keep you fit and healthy.
- Gap Free Preventative Dental. Mildura will pay 100% of the fee for each preventative service. You will receive the same benefit amount whether you see an agreement dentist or not.
- Super dental agreements. Mildura Health Fund have created super dental agreements with a number of dentists to reduce or eliminate out of pocket expenses for their members. This means the agreement dentists will only ever charge the agreed amount for the service that they provide.
- For those on a budget, you can save money on a basic policy as Mildura Health effectively split their basic cover into two options: Dental and Base. This means you can choose dental only cover without having to pay a little extra for other services. Alternatively, you can opt for Base only without dental for a little over $10 a month.
How do the costs work?
If you choose to take out dental cover with Mildura Health Fund, they will pay set benefits for dental services. Some dentists have claiming limitations as set out by the Australian Dental Association schedule. As a result, there are some cases where benefits are not payable as limitations can differ depending on the service provided.
If you need more extensive treatment, make sure to get the item numbers and find out the costs from your dentist before contacting Mildura Health Fund for a quote.
Benefits are only paid for services done by a registered dentist operating privately, while the maximum benefit you will be allowed is the benefit prescribed for any service listed in the Mildura Health Fund Dental Benefit Schedule.
It's also worth noting that benefits aren't payable for any type of cosmetic dental treatment with Mildura Health Fund. Similarly, for dental treatment that can be reimbursed by Medicare, no Fund benefit is payable.
Waiting periods and limitations
You will not need to re-serve waiting periods if you had similar cover with another insurer and switch to Mildura Health Fund. However, you will have to serve a waiting period should you upgrade to a higher level of cover.
If you were previously covered on your parent's membership, you will not need to re-serve waiting periods.
The following waiting periods for extras cover apply:
- Immediate: Newborns, Accidental injury, Ambulance subscription refund
- 2 months: Dental, Acupunture, Chiropractic, Clinical psychology, Dietician, District nurse, Eye therapy, Exercise physiology, Hearing test, Myotherapy, Occupational therapy, Osteopathic, Pharmaceutical, Physiotherapy, Podiatry, Remedial massage, Speech therapy
- 6 months: Five Star Health Management
- 12 months: Optical, Dentures, Foot Orthotics, some Health aids & appliances
How to make a claim
You can use your Mildura Health Fund membership card for the majority of claims on extras services, including dental, at all participating HICAPS service providers. Alternatively, the Fund office will accept your claim in person. MDHF will pay your claim in cash in the majority of cases but they can set up a direct debit to your bank account depending on your preference. They can also issue you a cheque for any unpaid invoices.
The mobile app is another option. It's free to download from the iTunes App Store or Google Play. You can download the app by searching for Mildura Health Fund on your mobile's app store. Simply enter your fund details and upload a photo of your invoice for the services.