Medibank Extras Only Health Insurance
Medibank offers four Extras Only plans to choose from
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Medibank Private is one of Australia's largest and most widely known health funds, with millions of members. See what the extras only plans offer and whether one of them is right for you.
Compare Medibank extras cover options for you
Top 3 features
- Good for people who need access to services like antenatal and postnatal services.
- Good for people who don't need major dental but still want cover that includes lots of other services like natural therapies and remedial massage.
- Beware if you need health appliances because the waiting periods can be up to 24 months.
What Medibank Extras Only policies are available?
Here are the four different Extras Only policies offered by Medibank:
- Healthy Start Extras. This basic plan is only available for singles and couples. It offers 60% back for some of the more widely-used extras services.
- Essential Extras. This is another basic extras plan that gives 75% back. It has higher limits but a narrower range of services than Healthy Start Extras.
- Growing Family Extras. This plan gives you a choice of 60% or 70% back on a relatively comprehensive range of services. There are also some extra benefits for families and kids.
- Top Extras. This plan gives you a choice of 60%, 75% or 90% back on a wide range of extras.
|Healthy Start Extras||Essential Extras||Growing Family Extras||Top Extras|
|Chiropractic and Osteopathy|
|Blood glucose monitor and blood pressure monitors|
|Health appliances and external prostheses|
|Australian Breastfeeding Association Membership|
|Pregnancy compression garments|
|Prescription pharmaceuticals (non-PBS)|
Other benefits of Medibank Extras Cover
Other benefits of Medibank Private hospital cover include the following:
- Online health hub and mobile health apps. You can access tools and information to help you create and sustain a healthy lifestyle for yourself and your family.
- 25% off GymBetter pass. Get a discount on this app which lets you access a network of gyms around Australia on a pay as you go basis.
- 10% off other insurance. With Medibank health cover, you can get 10% off Medibank pet, travel and life insurance.
- Giveaways and competitions. Members can get involved in Medibank social media competitions and giveaways to earn prizes and other rewards.
How do the costs work?
Your policy will give you back between 55-85% of your treatment costs depending on which policy you choose. Whatever you get back will be deducted from your annual benefit limit for that treatment. Your benefit limit will vary based on the treatment and on the policy you choose.
Waiting periods and limitations
Most treatments come with a waiting period. These are as follows:
- No waiting period. Psychology.
- One day. Ambulance services.
- Six months. Optical.
- Twenty-four months. Blood glucose and blood pressure monitors.
- Thirty-six months. Hearing aids.
- Twelve months. Breathing appliances, major dental and orthodontics.
- Two months. Everything else.
How to make a claim
There are five ways you can make your Medibank extras claim:
- On-the-spot using your membership card
- Online via the member portal.
- By using the Medibank Mobile app.
- By traditional mail
- By visiting Medibank store.
More guides on Finder
Health insurance for young adults
Find out how to get cheap health insurance for young people.
1 October price hike: Aussies urged to do a health check on their insurance
Finder research shows that Australians have just under one week to beat the health insurance price increase on 1 October.
Turned 31 recently? It’s time to decide about health insurance
If you don't buy health insurance before 1 July, you could be paying a penalty for 10 years.
As restrictions ease, Aussies can start claiming on their health insurance
Here's how to start making the most of your health insurance again.
Coronavirus: Where to get mental health support
Here's how you can get online and over-the-phone mental health support and still be covered by Medicare and private health insurance.
How to find health insurance relief during the coronavirus outbreak
Australian health insurance providers are offering financial relief with payment extensions, temporary freezes, lower premiums and more.
Coronavirus: Your health insurance questions answered
Are you covered? Can you still get it? Do you even need it? We answer all your coronavirus health insurance questions.
How much does dental really cost?
SPONSORED: Find out how much you should be paying for these 5 common dental procedures
Podcast: Busting Australia’s top health insurance myths
From hospital to extras, tax time to turning 31, this week's Pocket Money podcast will arm you with everything you need to know about health insurance.
How does health insurance cover chronic pain?
See how private health insurance can offer support for chronic pain.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert