Medibank Extras Only Health Insurance
Medibank offers four Extras Only plans to choose from
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Medibank Private is one of Australia's largest and most widely known health funds, with millions of members. See what the extras only plans offer and whether one of them is right for you.
Compare Medibank extras cover options for you
Top 3 features
- Good for people who need access to services like antenatal and postnatal services.
- Good for people who don't need major dental but still want cover that includes lots of other services like natural therapies and remedial massage.
- Beware if you need health appliances because the waiting periods can be up to 24 months.
What Medibank Extras Only policies are available?
Here are the four different Extras Only policies offered by Medibank:
- Healthy Start Extras. This basic plan is only available for singles and couples. It offers 60% back for some of the more widely-used extras services.
- Essential Extras. This is another basic extras plan that gives 75% back. It has higher limits but a narrower range of services than Healthy Start Extras.
- Growing Family Extras. This plan gives you a choice of 60% or 70% back on a relatively comprehensive range of services. There are also some extra benefits for families and kids.
- Top Extras. This plan gives you a choice of 60%, 75% or 90% back on a wide range of extras.
|Healthy Start Extras||Essential Extras||Growing Family Extras||Top Extras|
|Chiropractic and Osteopathy|
|Blood glucose monitor and blood pressure monitors|
|Health appliances and external prostheses|
|Australian Breastfeeding Association Membership|
|Pregnancy compression garments|
|Prescription pharmaceuticals (non-PBS)|
Other benefits of Medibank Extras Cover
Other benefits of Medibank Private hospital cover include the following:
- Online health hub and mobile health apps. You can access tools and information to help you create and sustain a healthy lifestyle for yourself and your family.
- 25% off GymBetter pass. Get a discount on this app which lets you access a network of gyms around Australia on a pay as you go basis.
- 10% off other insurance. With Medibank health cover, you can get 10% off Medibank pet, travel and life insurance.
- Giveaways and competitions. Members can get involved in Medibank social media competitions and giveaways to earn prizes and other rewards.
How do the costs work?
Your policy will give you back between 55-85% of your treatment costs depending on which policy you choose. Whatever you get back will be deducted from your annual benefit limit for that treatment. Your benefit limit will vary based on the treatment and on the policy you choose.
Waiting periods and limitations
Most treatments come with a waiting period. These are as follows:
- No waiting period. Psychology.
- One day. Ambulance services.
- Six months. Optical.
- Twenty-four months. Blood glucose and blood pressure monitors.
- Thirty-six months. Hearing aids.
- Twelve months. Breathing appliances, major dental and orthodontics.
- Two months. Everything else.
How to make a claim
There are five ways you can make your Medibank extras claim:
- On-the-spot using your membership card
- Online via the member portal.
- By using the Medibank Mobile app.
- By traditional mail
- By visiting Medibank store.
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert