Leaking roof insurance

You can make a leaking roof insurance claim but only if it was caused by events such as fires, storms or lightning – not neglect. Compare 20+ policies.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Name Product Is there cover for a leaking roof? Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Flood Temporary Accommodation
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
10% of sum insured - up to 12 months
Save 30% on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online. T&Cs apply.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
For a maximum of 12 months
Youi Home Insurance takes the time to tailor a premium for you.
Huddle Comprehensive Home and Contents Insurance
The lesser of: 12 months rent; or 10% of your building sum insured
Save up to 20% on your policy in the first year.
ANZ Home & Contents Insurance
For a maximum of 12 months (24 months for catastrophic events)
The only direct Australian home insurance provider to offer full building replacement cover as a standard feature.
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
20% of buildings sum insured - 24 months
Save up to 20% on your first years’ premium with a new combined QBE Home and Contents policy online. T&Cs apply.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
The lesser of: 12 months rent; or 10% of your building sum insured
Buy online and save up to 30% on a new home and contents insurance policy. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
10% of sum insured - up to 12 months
Earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points when you apply. Points awarded will be based on your premium. T&Cs & exclusions apply.

Compare up to 4 providers

How do I make a leaking roof insurance claim?

One symbol

Find out if you can make a claim

You can make a leaking roof insurance claim if it's due to circumstances beyond your control, such as a storm or natural disaster. If your roof has been leaking for years and is only now becoming a problem, you won't be covered. Your insurer will likely send someone out to assess whether the leak was due to negligence or was accidental.

Two symbol

Prepare your claim

Let your insurer know that you need to make a claim. Take pictures and videos of the leak if possible. Stop further damage from occurring but try not to fix it yourself or you risk jeopardising your claim.

Three symbol

Submit your claim

Submit your claim by email or mail and wait to hear back. Insurers can take up to 10 days to respond to your claim. In these circumstances, they should be able to help stop the leak quicker.

Will I be covered for a leaking roof?

It depends on whether or not the leak was due to an accident or your own negligence. They will send an assessor to inspect your roof.

  • If the assessor believes the cause of the leak was accidental, such as damage from hail or storm-related debris, the insurer will usually approve your claim.
  • However, if the assessor sees no evidence of accidental damage or finds evidence that the roof has been leaking for some time, they will likely classify the leak as being caused by inadequate roof maintenance. The insurer will deny your claim.

How to avoid your claim from being rejected

  • Keep up-to-date with roof maintenance. There are several roof maintenance tasks that you can do to ensure your claim isn't rejected for poor roof maintenance.This can include clearing blocked gutters, flashings and debris from the roof.
  • Have a roofing contractor check for repairs. They can ensure your roof is up to scratch and you won't have a claim rejected for wear and tear, continuous seepage or other installation and design problems.

How to spot a potential leak

There are 3 signs that your roof may be leaking:

  • Missing shingles or tiles. You should regularly inspect your roof for missing or broken shingles and tiles, which can allow water to enter.
  • Stains on the ceiling. If there is a damp spot on your ceiling, this can indicate that water is already leaking into your home.
  • Choked gutters and downpipes. You should clear these regularly and install gutter guards to prevent debris build-up.

So what's the answer?

In the light of all this doom and gloom, you may well be asking yourself why bother to have home insurance. It's because it will cover you if disaster strikes your home, which is many people's largest asset in life, after all.

As for gradual water damage to your roof, the trick is to make sure it doesn't happen. Regular roof maintenance and hiring a roofing expert to rectify any design or installation problems can help prevent any issues.

More guides on Finder

    Ask an Expert

    You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

    • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
    • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
    • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
    • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

    Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

    2 Responses

      Default Gravatar
      WayneMay 21, 2019

      I had a new tiles put on my garage roof after a couple of years it’s got a small leak which was repaired can I claim for the damage it made

        Default Gravatar
        NikkiMay 21, 2019

        Hi Wayne,

        Thanks for your inquiry.

        Your home insurance will cover your house and contents for water damage caused by an insured event such as a storm. But if the damage is the result of a leak in your roof that the insurer deems to be a maintenance issue (and thus not covered), the water damage to your home and contents will usually not be covered.

        Hope this was helpful. Don’t hesitate to message us back if you have more questions.

        With care,

    Go to site