Stamp Duty

How much stamp duty will you pay? Use our calculator and learn about exemptions and concessions in each state and territory.

Updated . What changed?

Fact checked

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

When purchasing a house you will most likely have to pay a tax called stamp duty (or sometimes, transfer duty). If you bought a $700,000 property in NSW, for example, you'd have to pay $26,932 in stamp duty (or $10,490 if you're eligible for a first home buyer concession). This makes stamp duty one of the biggest upfront property costs after the deposit itself.

Stamp duty exemptions and costs differ in each state and territory. You can check the relevant state or territory body (usually the state revenue office) to get the most up to date information. On this page you can use our stamp duty calculator or read up on the basics of stamp duty wherever you live.

Stamp duty estimate calculator

To use this calculator select your state or territory, enter the value of your property (the full value, not your loan amount), choose the type of purchase (home to live in, investment or land) and select yes or no if you're a first home buyer or not.

Stamp duty exemptions and concessions by state/territory

Your stamp duty cost varies depending on where you live. Governments update these costs every few years, depending on state budgets and tax policy.

Click your state or territory below to find out about stamp duty exemptions.

Your stamp duty is determined by several factors beyond where you live. These are:

  • The cost of the property. The more you pay for your property the higher your stamp duty cost will be.
  • Whether you're a first home buyer. If you've never owned a property before then you may quality for a concession (discount) on your stamp duty or even a full exemption. Pensioners and seniors may also qualify for a discount or exemption.
  • The type of home you buy. The amount of stamp duty that you will be charged may depend on the type of property you purchase, with concessions or exemptions for buying new or off-the-plan properties.

What is stamp duty?

Stamp duty in Australia is a state/territory level tax levied on large transactions such as property purchases, cars or other assets. Historically, stamp duty was levied on the signing of various legal documents, hence the word stamp. Stamp duty is sometimes referred to as transfer duty.

How do I pay my stamp duty?

Open door in a house.

Many buyers pay stamp duty at settlement. It can be deducted from your loan amount, and you'll need to cover the shortfall through your own funds. This is usually organised via the buyer and lender's conveyancers. Your conveyancer can also help you organise your paperwork when applying for a concession or exemption.

It's also possible to pay stamp duty to the government directly, and you usually have around 30 days from settlement to organise the payment (although in some states it must be paid on settlement day).

Can I borrow stamp duty with my loan?

While lenders generally prefer that you pay stamp duty up front, most banks will allow stamp duty to be capitalised into the principal of the loan. Capitalisation means you borrow the stamp duty money too and pay it off with the loan. You can increase your home loan to cover the cost of stamp duty and then the lender will release the funds when you need them.

However, if you are an investor, stamp duty is generally included in the cost of the property when calculating capital gains.

Stamp duty in unique cases

Do I have to pay stamp duty on vacant land?

All transfers of land come with stamp duty costs, which you see by using the calculator above. The exception to this is through the various concessions and exemptions available from each state, particularly for first home buyers.

Do I have to pay stamp duty on off-the-plan property?

Yes, stamp duty is still payable on off-the-plan property, but keep in mind there are concessions and exemptions available in different states.

Do I have to pay stamp duty on a loan I am refinancing?

In most cases you will have to pay stamp duty again even if you are refinancing. However, there are situations in which you can avoid paying stamp duty. For example, if the names of the borrowers are the same and the amount of the loan is the same, there might be a chance you could avoid paying stamp duty. In some cases, you might also have to refinance with the same lender to avoid this cost.

If you're borrowing more when refinancing (say, a home loan top up) you may have to pay stamp duty on any amount above the original loan.

Note that in some situations you may have to pay the fees but you can then apply for a refund from the lender. Thus, it pays to make sure you do your research before deciding to refinance because any savings you incur from a lower rate might be completely obliterated if you have to pay stamp duty again. In this case, refinancing may simply not be worth the hassle.

Divorce and stamp duty

Stamp duty isn’t payable if one of you is transferring the title to a home or land to another. However, you can only save on stamp duty if the transfer is done so you can obey a court order. The court must be able to know what assets are owned by each of the parties. This includes all of your assets like land, bank accounts and superannuation. It may be necessary to hire an expert to value an asset.

It’s important to know that parenting is seen as a very important contribution. If the marriage has been a long one, it is often seen as equal to financial contributions. Usually, the court gives the party whose financial future is not as good as the other some extra part of the property owned by the parties.

First home buyer? Learn how to find the right home loan here

Start comparing mortgages now

Data indicated here is updated regularly
Name Product Interest Rate (p.a.) Comp. Rate^ Application Fee Ongoing Fees Max LVR Monthly Payment
UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate
$0 p.a.
Enjoy flexible repayments, a redraw facility and the ability to split your loan. Plus, pay no application or ongoing fees.
St.George Basic Home Loan
$0 p.a.
Up to $4,000 refinance cashback. With this competitive variable rate loan from St.George, refinancers borrowing $250,000+ can get up $4,000 cashback and borrow up to 80% of the property's value (terms, conditions & exclusions apply).
Westpac Flexi First Option Home Loan
$8 monthly ($96 p.a.)
Up to $3,000 refinance cashback.
A flexible and competitive variable rate loan. Eligible borrowers refinancing $250,000 or more can get $2,000 cashback per property plus a bonus $1,000 for their first application. Other conditions apply.
Macquarie Bank Basic Home Loan
$0 p.a.
A competitive variable rate home loan for owner-occupiers. Requires a 40% deposit.
UBank UHomeLoan Fixed
$0 p.a.
This very low fixed rate is only available until 26 February 2021. Other conditions apply. A competitive fixed rate loan with no ongoing fees. Requires a 20% deposit

Compare up to 4 providers

Aussie Home Loans Logo

Enter your details and get a free consultation with an expert broker from Aussie.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Finder Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use

Applications are subject to approval. Conditions, fees and charges apply. Please note that you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.

Credit services for Aussie Select, Aussie Activate and Aussie Elevate products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives, Australian Credit Licence 246786. Credit for Aussie Select products is provided by Residential Mortgage Group Pty Ltd ACN 152 378 133, Australian Credit Licence 414133 (“RMG”). RMG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 234945. Credit for Aussie Activate products is provided by Pepper Finance Corporation Limited ACN 094 317 647 (“Pepper”). Pepper Group Limited ACN 094 317 665, Australian Credit Licence 286655 acts on behalf of Pepper. Credit services for Aussie Elevate products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives. Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861. Credit and any applicable offset accounts for Aussie Elevate are issued by Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited ABN 11 068 049 178 AFSL / Australian Credit Licence 237879.

Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd. Aussie is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124. ©2020 AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Aussie privacy policy.

After entering your details a mortgage broker from Aussie will call you. They will discuss your situation and help you find a suitable loan.

  • A comparison of home loans from multiple lenders.
  • Expert guidance through the entire application process.
  • Free suburb and property reports.

Aussie Home Loans Lender Logos

The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 8 years running (2013-2020)

More guides on Finder

  • The simplified guide to WA stamp duty

    Everything you need to know about how much stamp duty you'll pay when you buy a home in Western Australia.

  • Stamp duty in Victoria

    Your complete guide to stamp duty in Victoria, including new discounts that could save homebuyers up to $27,500.

  • NSW Stamp Duty Guide

    Stamp duty is just one of the many costs associated with property ownership. Learn everything you need to know about transfer duty in NSW.

Home Loan Offers

Important Information*
Logo for Westpac Flexi First Option Home Loan - Basic Variable Rate (Owner Occupier, P&I)
Westpac Flexi First Option Home Loan - Basic Variable Rate (Owner Occupier, P&I)

Up to $3,000 refinance cashback. A flexible and competitive variable rate loan. Eligible borrowers refinancing $250,000 or more can get $2,000 cashback per property plus a bonus $1,000 for their first application. Other conditions apply.

Logo for St.George Basic Home Loan - LVR 60% to 80% (Owner Occupier, P&I)
St.George Basic Home Loan - LVR 60% to 80% (Owner Occupier, P&I)

Up to $4,000 refinance cashback. With this competitive variable rate loan from St.George, refinancers borrowing $250,000+ can get up $4,000 cashback and borrow up to 90% of the property's value. (Terms, conditions & exclusions apply).

Logo for Athena Liberate Home Loan - 70% to 80% LVR Owner Occupier, P&I
Athena Liberate Home Loan - 70% to 80% LVR Owner Occupier, P&I

A competitive variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers $0 application and $0 ongoing fees. This interest rate falls over time as you pay off the loan.

Logo for Suncorp Back to Basics Home Loan - Better Together Special Offer $150k+ LVR ≤ 80% (Owner Occupier, P&I)
Suncorp Back to Basics Home Loan - Better Together Special Offer $150k+ LVR ≤ 80% (Owner Occupier, P&I)

Get a competitive variable interest rate with no application fee or ongoing fees.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

319 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    carolJune 23, 2018

    Buying a house in Adelaide, can the stamp duty be paid in installments or do you have to pay the full amount?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniJune 23, 2018Staff

      Hi Carol,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      In real estate, stamp duty is paid by the purchaser and must be paid within 30 days of the property settlement.

      RevenueSA Online is an Internet based system that allows an easy, flexible and more efficient way for you to do business with RevenueSA.

      RevenueSA Online provides you with the ability to perform the following functions in the comfort of your own office in relation to stamp duty, job accelerator grant and Commonwealth reporting.

      I hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any other enquiries.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    SimonJune 16, 2018

    Hi guys

    Me and my dad are living in a PPR and he wants to sign the property into my name . We have both lived in the same property since 1991.

    I’m just wondering will stamp duty be involved? Or could I avoid it seeing it’s a PPR not an investment.

    Thank you

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JeniJune 17, 2018Staff

      Hi Simon,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      Your ‘main residence’ (your home) is generally exempt from capital gains tax (CGT). However, stamp duty is imposed by state and territory governments. It can vary depending on the state or territory, and may be called stamp duty, transfer duty or general duty so you better seek professional advice to your local state revenue office regarding this.

      I hope this helps.

      Have a great day!


    Default Gravatar
    AdamApril 16, 2018

    I want to transfer the title of our property into the name of my long term partner. Will there be a stamp duty charge? Is capital gains tax payable?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayApril 16, 2018Staff

      Hi Adam,

      Thanks for your question.

      There are cases that you need not to pay stamp duty if you will be adding a long term partner into the property. You would need to fill out an exemption form that can be obtained from your state office of revenue. You can get information on adding a partner to the property on this page.

      As for the CGT, generally, even if you are gifting property, CGT is applicable. Although if you are transferring or gifting a property which is your main place of residence to your family or someone else, you may be exempted from paying CGT. You may have to check your local revenue office to confirm if you qualify. As a general guide, you may want to read our article about “Can you avoid fees and charges when transferring property within the family?

      Hope this helps.


    Default Gravatar
    MaroOctober 22, 2017

    Do I have to pay stamp duty for a house that I share with my brother, if my brother owes 35% and I owe 65% of the house and he is transferring his part to me?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoanneOctober 23, 2017Staff

      Hi Maro,

      Thanks for your question.

      Typically, while stamp duty is often associated to sale of a property, it may also apply when there is a transfer of ownership from one person to another even if there is no monetary consideration involved.

      As to how much you would pay, it depends on the type of property as well as your status. Stamp duty rates vary across the country and would change every now and then. Usually, these are based on a sliding scale, with percentages increasing according to the value of the property. I’d encourage you to speak with a professional such as tax accountant to ensure whether or not you have to pay stamp duty and exactly how much you will need to pay. Checking with your local government is also best.


    Default Gravatar
    HienOctober 17, 2017

    Three brothers bought a house in 1985, so our names are in the property title. Over the years, two of the brothers moved out and left the remaining brother lives in that property and take over the financial aspect of the property. Now we (other 2 brothers) would like to transfer the full ownership to the real owner and no money involved. Would we have to pay for stamp duty?
    Many thanks in advance

      Default Gravatar
      DanielleOctober 17, 2017

      Hi Hien,

      Thank you for contacting finder. We are a comparison website and general information service, we’re more than happy to offer general advice.

      Stamp duty tax is not a pre-set amount, but rather determined by the state or province you are purchasing in, the cost of the property and its type. There are certain circumstances that may allow an individual to be exempt or to receive discounts from this tax. As stamp tax can be a major cost, it’s important to do your research to see if you can receive any exemptions or concessions. You may scroll up to check your state’s exemption rules.

      I hope this helps.


    Default Gravatar
    susanAugust 3, 2017

    Hi there,

    I found out recently that the investment property in QLD that my husband and I own is set up as tenants in common with a 60/40 split. 60 to my husband, 40 to me. It is still under mortgage. We wish to set the property up as joint tenants (for the sake of our will) and have been informed that we first have to transfer the 10% to me before we can change to joint tenants and that transfer will incur CGT. Is this correct. Is there a way around this? Can he gift it to me?

      Default Gravatar
      LiezlAugust 5, 2017

      Hi Susan,

      Thanks for your question.

      Transferring a share of a property you own in Queensland to your spouse is a dutiable transaction unless all the following apply:
      -the transfer is by way of gift (regardless of whether your spouse becomes a borrower on an existing mortgage)
      -the transfer is from you to your spouse
      -after the transfer, you and your spouse will own the home as joint tenants or tenants in common in equal shares
      -the home will be your principal residence.

      Hence, unless the property will become your principal residence, the transfer of investment properties will incur transfer duty. You may refer to this page for more information. Better still, seek legal advise on this matter.


    Default Gravatar
    ChinJuly 19, 2017

    Hi ,
    We bought a property in ACT in Late December 2016. They say stamp duty paid is immediately deductible during the first year for properties in ACT (due to all properties in ACT being leasehold not freehold)

    After buying the home we immediately moved in and started renting part of the house. We have been renting for 6 months (until 30 June 2017)
    If the area of the house I rented is 25%
    Can I
    A. claim a full deduction of Stamp Duty at 30 June 2017
    B. Claim a deduction for 25% of the stamp duty paid
    C. Claim a deduction for 25% of the stamp duty X 50% (for only renting for half of the year)?

    Appreciate anyone’s thoughts on this

      Default Gravatar
      JonathanAugust 1, 2017

      Hello Chin,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      It is unclear as to why would you rent a part of your own home, unless you mean renting it out? Please be advised that as per ATO’s Rental Property Guide 2013 page 7 “If you use your property for both private and assessable income-producing purposes, you cannot claim a deduction for the portion of any expenditure that relates to your private use. Examples of properties you may use for both private and income-producing purposes are holiday homes and time-share units. In cases such as these you cannot claim a deduction for any expenditure incurred for those periods when the home or unit was used by you, your relatives or your friends for private purposes.”

      If you use your property for both private and income-producing purposes, you can only claim a deduction for the portion of any expenditure that relates to the income-producing use. Generally, apportion your expenses on a floor-area basis – that is, based on the area solely occupied by the tenant, together with a reasonable figure for their access to the general living areas, including garage and outdoor areas if applicable. Using your example above and assuming this was meant to be renting out, Answer C is applicable for you.

      You may refer this matter to ATO or to a tax accountant for further review.

      Hope this helps.


    Default Gravatar
    DianaJuly 12, 2017

    Hi, I bought a property before I got married. If my husband buys a property under his name only under $650,000, does he still need to pay stamp duty as first home buyer in NSW?

      Default Gravatar
      JonathanJuly 27, 2017

      Hello Diana,

      Thank you for your inquiry today.

      Exemptions on transfer duty are applicable on new and existing homes valued up to $650,000 and vacant block of residential land valued up to $350,000.

      Please make sure you review the eligibility requirements for this grant and you can use this calculator to have an estimate.

      Hope this helps.


    Default Gravatar
    MichaelJuly 11, 2017

    I’m intending on purchasing an active farming enterprise in Victoria valued at $1.2 million. The sale is “walk in walk out” & includes land of 100 acres, 5 acre vineyard, residence, sheds, cattle yards, livestock & plant & equipment. The farm equipment, wine making equipment, motor vehicles & livestock are valued at around $50,000 (from the depreciation schedule). I appreciate that I will need to pay stamp duty on the land, residence, buildings, vineyard & fittings but are the livestock & plant & equipment subject to stamp duty ? Can I separate these items out from the land purchase & purchase them separately. If so I assume that they would be subject to gst.

      Default Gravatar
      JonathanJuly 26, 2017

      Hello Michael,

      Thank you for your inquiry today.

      For a conveyance of Qualifying Land for consideration together with a conveyance of other property cannot be stamped such as:
       Chattels;
       Livestock;
       Plant & equipment;
       Stock;
       Water licence;
       Goodwill or
       Intellectual property

      If the farmer sells livestock and plant and equipment all separately, they are subject to GST if the seller is registered

      You can discuss this with a tax expert for further assistance or to your local tax office.

      Hope this helps.


    Default Gravatar
    KellyJuly 3, 2017

    Hi. If I buy an investment property before my first home, will I still be eligible for first home concessions after?

      Default Gravatar
      LiezlJuly 3, 2017

      Hi Kelly,

      Thanks for your question.

      This will depend on the location where you are planning to buy a property as applicable exemptions and concessions vary between states and territories. If you intend to purchase a property in Queensland, you won’t be eligible for first home concession. Queensland government requires that in order to claim first home concession, you should have never held an interest in residential land anywhere in the world.

      You may also refer to our guide here on FHOG eligibility after acquiring an investment property.

      I hope this has helped.


Go to site