Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Renters insurance: Aquariums

Are you renting and looking to cover your aquarium and any accidental damage? Here's how.

Waking up to find your floor covered in pools of water, big shards of glass and sad-looking bits of coral and seaweed – not to mention fish – isn't any renter's idea of a good morning.

When a home aquarium or fish tank is damaged due to an accident or another unexpected event, it can be upsetting. It can also be expensive, given the costs of repairing or replacing the tank, and the fact that a damaged aquarium can also cause damage.

So, as a renter, what can your insurance do to help in a scenario like this? Is the tank itself covered? What about its occupants? Would the financial responsibility for damage that the aquarium caused be yours or your landlord's?

Let's find out.

What type of insurance do I need as a renter?

The short answer? Contents insurance.

Renters insurance and contents insurance is pretty much the same thing. The reason you probably want contents insurance is that, as a renter, insuring the building itself is the landlord's (or strata's) responsibility, not yours.

But while the landlord's insurance should cover, say, a leaking tap, it won't cover your leaking aquarium and any damage it causes to your belongings.

Compare renters insurance for your aquarium

Name Product Escape of Liquid Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Home Contents Cover Fire, Storm & Theft Damage Online Discount
Youi Contents Insurance
Best Rated Brand
Youi Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Finder’s 2022 Insurer of the Year for Customer Satisfaction and our Top Pick for Fire Damage cover. It’s good if you want a tailored quote over the phone.
Budget Direct Contents Insurance
Our verdict: The most popular insurer on Finder, Budget Direct prioritises low-cost cover and gives you 15% off your first year. You need to pay extra for flood cover and accidental damage.
QBE Contents Insurance
Our verdict: It covers essentials such as fire and theft plus comes with some good perks such as security upgrades after a burglary and up to 10% off your first year.
Honey Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Honey gives you $250 smart sensors to reduce accidents and estimates the value of your contents. It was also a finalist for the comprehensive category in the Finder Awards.
Australia Post Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Covers common claims such as fire, storms and water damage. Like most contents policies, you need to pay extra for accidental damage cover.
Kogan Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Good comprehensive cover (issued by QBE). Also, get a 6% discount off your first year plus $10 ongoing monthly credit. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Earn up to 30K Qantas Points for joining by 30 September. Plus save 30% on your 1st year’s premium for purchasing a combined home and contents policy online. T&Cs apply.

What's covered by renters insurance?

With the right policy, your aquarium can be covered against a range of insured events, including:

  • Storm damage
  • Fire damage
  • Impact damage (e.g. from a falling tree or branch)
  • Theft
  • Water damage
  • Accidental damage (usually as an optional add-on)

Many contents policies will also cover your legal liability if someone gets injured at your rental (e.g. by broken glass from a fish tank).

Here are a few points to keep in mind as you shop around:

  • There's a high level of variance in how insurers treat aquariums and fish tanks, so if you have an aquarium that you care about, it's recommended that you do your research, read the fine print and talk to insurers about the aquarium-related specifics before committing to a policy.
  • If you're in a share house situation, you'll have the option of taking out a combined contents policy with your housemates. If you'd prefer, you can also fly solo with an individual policy that'll just cover your things.
  • If you have a deluxe aquarium that's worth more than the maximum amount that the insurer will pay out for it in a standard policy (e.g. $2,500), you might need to specify the aquarium in the policy to get it covered up to its actual value.
  • If you only have a few important things you want to insure, you could consider single item insurance, which gives the same protection as straight contents insurance but only for nominated items.

Note: Unfortunately, whatever insurance you take out for your aquarium, the fish (and any other creatures) that live in it won't be considered "contents".

Why should I get renters insurance for my aquarium?

As well as being expensive to repair and replace, home aquariums can be accident-prone.

And they're not just damageable – they're also capable of causing damage to your other belongings.

That's why insurers tend to group them with other potentially troublesome "water containers", such as hot water systems, water supply tanks and (interestingly) waterbeds.

Renters insurance with accidental damage cover can protect your aquarium and other contents in case the unexpected happens. Add in your landlord's insurance to protect the building itself, and your aquarium-related cover starts to look pretty comprehensive.

Does rents insurance cover aquarium leaks?

Yes – with a few important caveats.

Different insurers have different approaches to aquarium leaks, so it's crucial to do your research first. Some policies will cover fish tanks but not fish bowls. Some will only cover aquariums containing a defined volume of water. Some will cover accidental glass breakage, while others won't.

What led to the leak will also be a key factor. Was it something sudden and unforeseeable, or could you have seen it coming (e.g. a slowly expanding crack)?

Importantly, most insurers distinguish between:

  • Damage caused by "escape of liquid" or water damage from an aquarium, which standard policies generally do cover.
  • Damage to the aquarium itself, which many standard policies don't cover.

Your landlord's insurance should cover any damage to carpets, flooring or other parts of the building that your aquarium damages. But as an aquarium-owning renter, it's recommended that you look into adding accidental damage insurance, which can strengthen your cover for the tank itself.

Should I get accidental damage cover?

Yes. Most standard policies will cover any damage a leaking aquarium causes to your home and/or contents but not the costs of repairing or replacing the aquarium itself.

If you add accidental damage insurance to your policy, your aquarium could be covered for the costs of accidental glass breakage, as well as mishaps like dropping the aquarium while you're unloading, installing or moving it.

Be sure to research what different insurers define as accidental damage, specifically in relation to aquariums and water containers.

Which brands offer cover for accidental damage?

BrandDo they offer accidental damage?
Budget directOptional
Youi logoOptional
Virgin money home insuranceOptional
Westpac home insurance
St. george home insurance
Everyday Insurance
Picture not describedOptional

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts

freeYou pay nothing. Finder is free to use. And you pay the same as going direct. No markups, no hidden fees.
expert adviceYou save time. We spend 100s of hours researching home insurance so you can sort the gold from the junk faster.
independentYou can trust us. We say it like it is. We aren't owned by an insurer and our opinions are our own.

Here's the bottom line

Home aquariums give us a lot of pleasure, but if something goes wrong, they can also cause serious damage and be expensive to repair or replace. You and your fishy friends will sleep better with the right renters insurance policy.

Jessica Prasida's headshot

Jessica Prasida is a travel insurance expert for Finder. She lives and breathes travel, having worked as a travel agent and branch manager at STA Travel for over 4 years, then writing about travel insurance with Finder for another 5 years. Jess has a Bachelor of Business from the University of Technology, Sydney and a Tier 1 General Insurance qualification. See full bio

Ask a question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms Of Service and Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site