Navy Health Fund Health Insurance
Navy Health insurance is tailored to those who have served. Find out how you and your family can benefit.
Navy Health is a not-for-profit health fund set up to support current and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF), including those who have served in the Army, Navy or Air Force. You are also eligible if you are a family member, sibling, parent, grandparent or grandchild of someone who has served.
- Not-for-profit organisation.
- Serving families and active reservists receive a 10% discount off their premiums if they are DVA card holders.
- Good for Lifetime health cover loading, allowing you to pay lower premiums throughout your life compared to someone who joins when they're older.
Who is Navy Health?
Navy Health fund is a not-for-profit health insurance fund run for the benefit of its members, set up specifically to help those who have served in the Australian Defence Force. It also looks after their family members during and after service.
What health insurance options are available?
Navy Health's 3 levels of Hospital cover:
- Saver Bronze+ Hospital. This could be for you if you are young and healthy, providing full ambulance cover, dental surgery and knee reconstruction.
- Core Silver+ Hospital. This policy includes shoulder, spinal and dental surgery to knee reconstruction and treatment after an accident.
- Premium Gold Hospital. You get everything available on the Saver and Core policies as well as a host of other care including hospital psychiatric service and brain and nervous system.
Navy Health's 3 levels of Extras cover:
- Premium Extras. This offers Navy Health's highest level of cover for a wide range of general treatments including dental, orthodontic, optical, laser eye surgery, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, chiropractic osteopathy, podiatry, natural therapies, psychology and more.
- Healthy Living Extras. This is Navy Health's most popular form of extras cover and it offers money back on all of the health and medical services you use the most. It covers all the same treatments as a Premium Extras policy but to lower limits.
- Budget Extras. As the name suggests, this policy provides cover for essential general treatment options. Providing cover for optical, dental, physio and chiro costs, it can be taken as standalone cover or combined with any of the hospital cover options.
- 10% discount for any serving ADF member as well as eligible reservists. If you have a DVA card you can receive the discount.
- You can save money with Parent Family Cover policies if you are a DVA Gold Card holder.
- You can make sure your dependents are still covered with health insurance while you are serving and cannot claim. This can also help lower your premiums.
- Special policy options are also available for Northern Territory residents and for customers who would like to select a different excess.
- App. Members can claim using the Navy Health App. To download the App, go to the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Electronic Claiming. In most cases, all you'll need is your Navy Health membership card to claim. After a consultation, swipe your card through the electronic claiming facility. Once the transaction has been authorised by Navy Health, you just need to pay the difference between the fee charged for the treatment and the amount paid by Navy Health.
- Online Claim. You can make claims for extras services, except Orthodontic, Ambulance, Medically Prescribed Appliances and Pharmacy, through Navy Health's Online Member Services.
- Post, email and fax. You can submit a Navy Health claim by post, email or fax. Every claim must be accompanied by a completed and signed claim form, which can be downloaded from the Navy Health website. Payment is then made by direct deposit into your nominated bank account.
Changes being applied to private health insurance throughout the year may see some changes to Navy Health's policies. Insurers will have until April 2020 to adapt their policies to the new criteria. They must meet a minimum standard of coverage in order to qualify for Bronze, Silver or Gold tier classifications.
There are a number of benefits you can receive if you are eligible for Navy Health insurance. Some of these include:
How to make a claim
You can claim with Navy Health in a number of ways.
Read more on this topic
Online hearing tests Free and easy to use, online hearing tests only take a few minutes.
Compare online pharmacy services Online pharmacies work like any other online shop. Compare your options today.
Compare online doctor and GP services An online doctor is just like any other GP – except the appointment usually takes place via video call rather than face-to-face.
Health funds freeze prices in fight to keep customers Major insurers are postponing the planned price hike. Here's why you should care.
How much does dental really cost? SPONSORED: Find out how much you should be paying for these 5 common dental procedures
Complaints drop following health insurance overhaul Ombudsman says the new tier system could be to thank for positive change.
Health insurance premium rates are rising in Australia Get the lowdown on what's happening, so you can get a better deal on your health insurance.
Medical costs comparison Doing a medical costs comparison could save you a lot of money. Here's how to reduce your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert