Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
Health insurance gym membership
Save on exercise: get health insurance with gym membership rebates and discounts.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Extras cover often pays benefits towards a gym membership – you'll usually find it under the diet and lifestyle benefit. Alternatively, some funds give you access to gym memberships at a discounted rate. We've listed who below.
The table below outlines some of the annual limits of gym benefits that are included with extras cover with some of our partners.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Health insurance gym benefits differ with each fund's extras policies. According to the Private Health Insurance Act, a benefit can only be paid if it is part of a fitness program to treat an existing medical condition.
How much cover you receive for these health-related activities depends on your insurer, the level of cover you have with them and the benefit limits that apply to your policy. In order to claim you typically require:
- An extras health insurance policy that includes reimbursement for gym membership.
- A referral from a GP or health professional.
- Receipts from your gym membership or fitness classes.
Health maintenance programs contain a range of services covered by private health insurers which are designed to prevent illness and promote healthier living. Insurers reward participation in these programs, not so much out of the goodness of their hearts, but to reduce the likelihood of their members making claims – but either way, everybody wins.
Typical health maintenance services include:
This depends on the level of cover offered by your policy. Maximum benefit limits are typically only a few hundred dollars a year, so you would need to weigh up the benefits versus costs to decide if it is the right sort of cover for you.
If you suffer from a chronic medical condition where such health services would be of benefit to you, it may be well worth your while to be covered. Or if they are services that you use regularly anyway, paying a few hundred dollars less for them every year would obviously make sense.
Exclusions or circumstances where a benefit would not be paid on this type of cover might include:
- If the gym or fitness centre is not approved by your insurer (some insurers require that you only attend facilities they have an agreement with).
- If the service was not medically necessary (many insurers require you to have a referral from a healthcare professional such as a GP, physiotherapist, chiropractor or specialist).
- If you hire a personal trainer or join a 24-hour fitness centre (some insurers don’t recognise these services).
Compare over 30 Australian health funds, on your results page simply tick 'diet and lifestyle products' to see the policies which include health rebates.
- Pay-as-you-groan: On-demand insurance that pays you $2K for a broken arm
- COVID-19 mental health: 17% of Australians needed help, but how could they afford it?
- 3 dental insurance deals to put a dent in your post-lockdown dentist trip
- COVID vaccination rewards from Medibank, Finder, Qantas, Telstra and more
- Debt on arrival: Cost of childbirth exceeds $5,000 for 1 in 7 parents
- NSW waives COVID ambulance fees: What about the rest of Australia?
More guides on Finder
How to watch Melbourne City vs Western United A-League live and match preview
Champions Melbourne City host Western United in round 3 of the 2021 A-League season.
F1 world title: How Max Verstappen can become champion this weekend
There are 4 ways Max Verstappen can win the F1 title in the Saudi Arabian GP. We've laid them all out.
Where to watch ER online in Australia
The emergency room is no place for the faint of heart.
Binance tutorial for total beginners (2021) – Hands-on steps to buying crypto
We run through how you buy and trade cryptocurrencies on the Binance exchange.
Ethereum within 2% of new all-time-high price as another global brand adopts NFTs
The past 7 days have seen ETH iron out its recent volatility-induced losses.
Bitcoin’s stagnation is alarming and could be followed by more bearish price action
The last 30-days have seen BTC register substantial losses of over 10%.
Australia’s best weekend deals for December 3, 2021
Australia's best weekend deals include 50% off at BCF, half-price ASICS shoes at Foot Locker, 80% off hot fashion at Nasty Gal.
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: $130 off Philips air fryers, $250 off Apple AirPods Max, 50% off at Myer.
What’s the last day you can shop online for Christmas? Retail cut-off dates
Here are the Christmas delivery cut-off dates for 50 major Australian retailers.
Kayo Sports for $2.50 a month: Grab this limited deal here
Kayo Sports, Australia's leading sports streaming platform, is offering a ridiculous deal for a short time.
Save on your health insurance
Ask an Expert