Great Southern Bank Basic Variable Home Loan review
Only pay for the features you want with this basic home loan and enjoy no ongoing fees.
Don't pay for the extra features you don't want or won't use but keep a competitive interest rate. Great Southern Bank’s Basic Variable Home Loan has no ongoing fees, flexible repayments and free redraw facilities.
Richard Whitten is an editor at Finder, and has been covering home loans and the property market in Australia for the last 4 years. He has written for Yahoo Finance, Money Magazine and Homely, as well as multiple banks and lenders. Richard has a Certificate IV in Finance and Mortgage Broking, a Bachelor of Education from the University of Sydney and a Graduate Certificate in Communication. He enjoys helping people understand the ins and outs of mortgages so they can make smarter property decisions. Richard trained as a high school teacher but found it easier to manage personal finances than a classroom full of kids. Before joining Finder, he edited textbooks and taught English in South Korea.
The Great Southern Bank Basic Variable Home Loan is available to owner-occupiers and investors who are looking to purchase an existing property or build a new one.
About this loan
What are the features and benefits of the Great Southern Bank Basic Variable Home Loan?
- Loan Amount. You can borrow from $100,000 up to $5,000,000 with this loan.
- Loan Term. You can take out this loan for a period up to 30 which allows plenty of time to pay off your home.
- Investor LVR. New Great Southern Bank customers borrowing for investment without accompanying owner-occupied lending a maximum LVR applies, meaning you will need a deposit of at least 20%.
- Repayment flexibility. Repayments can be setup to be weekly, fortnightly or monthly. You also have the ability to make extra repayments if you would like.
- Interest-only repayment options. You can opt for interest-only repayments or stick to the principal and interest repayments.
What fees and charges come with this loan?
There are no ongoing fees with this loan but below are some of the fees:
- Application Fee: $600. This fee is for the processing of your application. For a limited time, Great Southern Bank is waiving this fee.
- Discharge Fee: $500. This fee applies when you close your loan accounts.
- Security administration Fee: $235. A security administration fee applies when you establish the account.
How to apply
If this loan sounds like it could suit your needs, click on the green 'Go to site' or 'Enquire' button on this page. You will then be securely redirected to the Great Southern Bank website or asked to fill out your details for a mortgage broker to contact you. On the Great Southern Bank website you can then start the application process or just send an enquiry so a Great Southern Bank banker can contact you.
To apply for this loan you will need to meet some eligibility requirements including:
- Are you over 18 years of age?
- Do you have a regular source of income?
- Are you a resident of Australia?
- Are you a new lending customer of Great Southern Bank or are obtaining an additional lending of $50,000 or more?
- Do you have a deposit of 20%?
Some the documents you'll be asked to supply during the application process are:
- Personal details and contact details
- Income information and employer details
- Details that show your savings
- Details of any other assets, debts and liabilities
- Details of the property you will be using as security. This may include a copy of the signed contract of sale and possibly the receipt of the deposit you have paid.