How much does a colonoscopy cost?
A colonoscopy shouldn't cost you anything, so long as you get health insurance or go through Medicare.
How much does a colonoscopy cost?
If you're entitled to Medicare, a colonoscopy should be free as long as you're treated in a public hospital. However, waiting periods tend to be longer than if you choose to go private.
If you're treated in a private hospital but don't have health insurance, the typical cost is $1,300 but this can vary wildly. For example, Bupa estimates the cost at $2,165 while Medibank estimates the cost at $2,116.
Private health insurance
If you have private health insurance at bronze level or above, a colonoscopy is unlikely to cost you anything. According to the Department of Health, 81% of private patients with health insurance paid nothing for a colonoscopy. For the remaining 19%, the typical cost was $200. Find policies that cover colonoscopies below starting from around $72 a month.
Compare health insurance for colonoscopies
All prices are based on a single individual with less than $90,000 income and living in Sydney.
Are colonoscopies covered by Medicare?
Yes, Medicare covers the cost of colonoscopies. If you get treatment in a public hospital, you should be covered for 100% of the colonoscopy costs.
However, public hospitals have long waiting lists. Your appointment will likely be made months in advance and you won't have any say on the time, date or location.
In 2019, Bowel Cancer Australia surveyed 1,500 Australians following their colonoscopy. One-third said they waited more than 2 months for treatment while 7% waited 6 months or more.
Does private health insurance cover colonoscopies?
Yes. All hospital policies at bronze level or above cover medically necessary colonoscopies. You'll find it included under gastrointestinal endoscopy. Some insurers include it in their basic policies as well.
Remember though, private health insurance only covers 25% of the MBS fee while Medicare covers the other 75%. If your healthcare provider charges more than the recommended fee, you will have to pay the rest. This is called the gap.
According to the Department of Health, only 19% of private patients with private health insurance had to pay a gap fee for their colonoscopy. The typical cost was $200.
Bronze level hospital policies start at around $80 a month and provide cover for 21 clinical categories, including cancer treatment, joint replacement and diabetes management.
The "gap" and what it means for colonoscopy costs
The government sets a price for hospital treatments, which it believes is fair. It's designed as a guide for healthcare professionals and is called the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) fee.
However, healthcare providers don't have to stick to this price. For example, a certain procedure could have an MBS fee of $100 but a private doctor could easily charge $200.
If you go private, Medicare will only pay 75% of the MBS fee while health insurance pays the other 25%. If your doctor chooses to charge more than the MBS fee, you will have to pay that amount. This is referred to as the gap.
You can ask your doctor and private health insurer about these costs beforehand. If you want to avoid these costs, look for an insurer that provides gap cover as part of your policy.
This can help pay the difference between what your doctor charges and Medicare and private health insurance cover. If you can use a doctor who participates in your insurer's gap cover, you may be able to avoid paying any out of pocket expenses.
Are there waiting periods?
Yes. You usually have to serve a waiting period of 2 months before the insurer will cover you. If you have a pre-existing condition that requires a colonoscopy, then you'll have to wait 12 months.
However, it's sometimes possible to find a way around the two-month waiting period. Sometimes insurers will waive certain waiting lists if you buy a combined hospital and extras policy, so it's worth looking into.
How can I pay for a colonoscopy?
It's possible to get a colonoscopy for free through private health insurance, if you plan ahead. According to the Department of Health, 81% of patients paid nothing for a colonoscopy in a private hospital with private health insurance. Here's a simple breakdown of how it's possible:
Medicare can pay for a chunk of the costs, for example, 75% of the MBS fee if you go private and 100% if you go public. Make sure you get the MBS item number from your doctor and give it to your private health insurer.
Private health insurance
A policy can pay for treatment in a private hospital (you also usually get to choose your own doctor) which can pay for doctors' fees, accommodation and theatre fees. It can pay at least 25% of the costs that Medicare won't cover.
Lay out entitlements
Your application needs to outline who is entitled to a share of the assets under intestate law in Victoria.
Out of pocket expenses
If there are still some fees (for instance, if your doctor charges more than the recommended MBS fee or you also have an assistant or anaesthetist fee) you may still have some things you need to pay for yourself. Ask your doctor about them before the procedure and see if you can reduce or eliminate them by getting a health insurance policy and doctor that provides and participates in gap cover.
When you submit a claim to your insurer, you'll usually have to pay a small contribution towards the treatment. The amount you'll pay depends on the excess you choose or are offered when you buy a policy. To give you an idea, you can usually choose between $0 and $750.
Why you can trust Finder's health insurance experts
Our health insurance engine is completely free to use. You pay the same as buying directly from the health insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and you can compare nearly every health fund in Australia on the site (and find a better deal).
Since 2014, we've helped 350,000+ people find health insurance by explaining your options simply. We'll never ask for your number or email to see prices. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
FAQ about colonoscopy costs
More guides on Finder
Health insurance for sterilisation
Find out how to claim vasectomies and tubal ligation with Medicare or private health funds, and the things you should know before going in.
Medical costs comparison
Doing a medical costs comparison could save you a lot of money. Here's how to reduce your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
How does health insurance cover brain surgery?
Compare public and private health insurance for brain treatment.
Health insurance for cataract surgery
Find out the pros and cons of cataract surgery with both public and private healthcare.
Health insurance for grommets
Want to get health cover for grommets? Find out how private health insurance and Medicare costs compare and what you'll be covered for. Choose the option that suits you best.
Gold health insurance
Gold hospital insurance is the most comprehensive hospital cover that money can buy – starting from around $53 per week.
Health insurance for appendicitis
Wondering whether appendicitis will be covered by your health insurer? Your guide to private health insurance and appendicitis here.
How much does palliative care cost?
Palliative care is the practice of easing the pain of a patient with a terminal illness and making them as comfortable as possible before death.
Health insurance for cosmetic surgery
While private health insurance does not cover plastic surgery that is elective and performed for cosmetic purposes, it does provide cover for a wide range of reconstructive plastic surgeries.
Health insurance for insulin pumps
If your doctor has recommended that you receive an insulin pump, check with your private health fund to find out whether the cost will be covered under your policy.