Kango Travel Insurance Review
Whether you are planning a trip for leisure or business, one of the most important stages of the planning process is deciding what travel insurance policy to take out. Travel insurance is a smart choice for people travelling both domestically and abroad, as it can provide you with much needed protection in case you encounter one of travels many unforeseen events. Travel insurance can protect you by providing medical coverage, theft protection, trip cancellation and curtailment protection, lost item reimbursement, legal, and liability expenses coverage in addition to many other cover benefits.
Who Underwrites Kango Travel Insurance?
Who is Kango Travel Insurance?
Kango Travel Insurance is an online travel insurance provider that allows you to choose a policy from the comfort of your home. Based in Sydney CBD, Kango works with Allianz, a global leader in travel insurance policies. Allianz underwrites all policies, and Kango’s 24 emergency service system is handled through Allianz Global Assistance.
Kango’s insurance portfolio is structured into five different categories. These are the Joey, Rock Wallaby, Wallaby, Eastern Grey and Big Red policies. These policies all can be had on an individual, Duo or family basis, giving consumers a highly customizable insurance choice process. The higher the level of coverage you choose, the more features your policy will come with.
A Joey policy will provide you with emergency medical and hospital coverage, overseas dental coverage as well as personal liability coverage. Conversely, a Big Red policy will provide you with the full array of features offered by Kango Travel Insurance. On top of the features offered in the Joey policy, a Big Red policy will include coverage such as additional accommodation, return airfare, theft, rental, legal expenses, cancellation, disability, accidental death, hospital allowance and delay expenses.
Benefits of Taking Out Kango Travel Insurance
- A wide array of product options. With Kango you have the ability to choose from five levels of coverage and customise those policies to cover the amount of people you need protected.
- Allianz Global Assistance. Allianz is well known for its 24-hour emergency assistance program. No matter what time it is, you can contact Allianz if you find yourself in need of emergency assistance.
- Range of benefits. Kango Travel Insurance provides coverage for things such as medical expenses, additional accommodation expenses, personal money, loss, theft or delay of luggage or personal effects, hijacking or kidnapping, legal expenses, personal liability, dental expenses, accidental death, permanent disability, return airfare, rental vehicles, family emergencies, travel delay and more.
- Affordable coverage. Kango prides itself on providing coverage options for every financial level. If you want coverage without having to pay for features you do not want, Kango has a policy for you. If you are a person who wants to spend the extra money for a more comprehensive policy, you are also in luck.
- Claims support. Many claims can be resolved without a form. Simply contact the Kango claims department when you are within Australia to receive help on filing a claim.
- Refundable policies. You can return any policy taken out with Kango within 14 days of purchase as long as you have not embarked upon your journey and want to make a claim. You cans still cancel your policy after this period, but your premium will not be refunded.
Kango Travel Insurance Policies
There are many coverage options available from Kango travel Insurance. Here is what you can expect to choose from:
The Joey policy provides you with overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses coverage as well basic dental expenses coverage and personal liability coverage. This package is for the cost conscious insurance customer who wants a basic level of coverage.
The Rock Wallaby policy offers everything that the Joey policy offers as well as luggage and personal effects coverage and cancellation and lost deposits coverage. Also, the level of personal liability coverage is higher under this policy.
The Wallaby policy offers the same coverage options as the Rock Wallaby policy as well as personal money coverage. It also includes increased luggage and personal effects coverage, increased cancellation and lost deposits coverage and increased personal liability coverage.
The Eastern Grey policy comes with all of the policy coverage of the preceding policies plus additional accommodation expense, family emergency expenses, return airfare, hospital cash allowance, travel delay, rental vehicle and legal expense coverage. The luggage and personal effects, dental and personal money coverage levels are increased as well in this tier.
The Big Red policy is the most comprehensive coverage option available to customers. It provides you with all of the coverage options of the preceding policies plus resumption of journey, accidental death, permanent disability, travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques, luggage and personal effects delay expenses, hijack and kidnapping and travel services provider insolvency coverage. Again, this tier offers higher levels of coverage on many of the features of the previous cover options.
All of these policies can be taken out as a single, duo or family package. Also, you can take out a policy with Kango for an individual trip, or receive a year’s worth of coverage that can be used on trips up to 35 or 60 days depending upon the annual package you choose.
Kango offers up a Winter Sports Cover package as well as a Business Cover package. These packages are tailor made for potential policyholders who are planning on travelling for sporting or business purposes respectively.
Kango does not offer domestic only insurance packages, and instead has chosen to focus its efforts on providing top-notch overseas cover options. Your policy with Kango will provide cover under some sections if you are travelling in Australia.
Kango Travel Insurance Benefits
With Kango, you are getting high quality insurance options. Possible policy benefits include:
- Overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses coverage
- Additional accommodation and travel expenses coverage
- Family emergency coverage for return trips to Australia
- Return airfare to Australia for medical purposes
- Resumption of journey in case of interruption
- Hospital cash allowance for extended stays
- Accidental death coverage
- Permanent disability coverage
- Travel documents, credit cards and travellers cheques coverage
- Luggage and personal effects coverage
- Luggage and personal effects delay expenses coverage
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits coverage
- Travel delay expenses coverage
- Hijacking and kidnapping coverage
- Rental vehicle excess coverage
- Personal liability coverage
- Legal expenses coverage
- Travel services provider insolvency coverage
- Winter sports equipment coverage (Winter Sports Cover package)
- Winter sports equipment hire (Winter Sports Cover package)
- Ski pack cover (Winter Sports Cover package)
- Life pass coverage (Winter Sports Cover package)
- Piste Closure coverage (Winter Sports Cover package)
- Avalanche cover (Winter Sports Cover package)
- Business equipment coverage (Business Cover package)
- Emergency courier expenses coverage (Business Cover package)
- Business equipment hire coverage (Business Cover package)
- Business money coverage (Business Cover package)
- Replacement staff cost coverage (Business Cover package)
Making a Kango Travel Insurance Claim
Since Allianz will handle your policy from Kango, you will have to make a claim through them. You can find a claim form on Kango’s website, and after you fill it out you will need to post it to Allianz. Here are some things to know about the claims process:
- Medical, dental or hospital claims must be made with Allianz Global Assistance.
- For damage or permanent loss of your luggage or personal belongings, you must report the incident to the police and provide a written notice of your report when making the claim.
- If your claim is being made due to damage or loss that resulted from the actions or an airline, operator or accommodation provider, you must report the damage to the appropriate official and obtain a written report of the event. If they offer you a settlement you need to include this in your claim.
- You will need to submit the full details of any claim that you have made within 30 days of returning home.
- All claims are paid out in Australian Dollars.
- You must not admit fault or liability without the approval of Allianz Global Assistance.
- Depreciation will be applied to all claims made regarding luggage and personal effects. Allianz will determine the amount of value depreciation.
- Allianz will pay out the difference between any what any other insurance policies cover and what you are owed for travel losses, expenses or damages. If another policy pays out all expenses that you are owed coverage on, Allianz will not pay you.