personal loan_shutterstock

Personal Insurance

What exactly is personal insurance?

Personal Insurance is a type of cover that provides financial security to you and your family for events such as a serious injury or illness, loss of ability to earn, total and permanent disablement or even death.

People often get personal insurance in order to maintain their way of living, with financial support to cover any outstanding debts and everyday expenses.

Compare direct life insurance options

Name Product Maximum cover Maximum Entry Age Minimum Sum Insured Guaranteed Future Insurability Expiry Age Short Description
Get a quote for up to $15 million in life insurance cover. Cover can be tailored to meet your personal needs.
Join Qantas Life Protect and earn up to 100,000 Qantas points. T&CS apply.
No expiry age as long as premiums are paid
Get a refund of 10% of the premiums you've paid (in the first 12 months) with The Real Reward™. Take out cover today and you could get a bonus $100 Gift Card.
Flexible cover options to suit your budget. New eligible customers can receive 25,000 Velocity Points. Ends 31 Aug 2018. Min monthly premium and T&Cs apply.
Receive a 10% discount on the second person when two applications are submitted at the same time, and both policies are issued.
Get flexible life insurance up to the sum of $2,000,000.
A simple life insurance product that can offer up to $1,500,000 in a lump sum payment on death or diagnosis of terminal illness.

Compare up to 4 providers

Receive quotes for personal insurance

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
Coverage is the amount of money that you will be paid in the event of a claim. An insurance consultant can help you determine an appropriate amount. Calculator
Provides a lump sum payment if you become totally and permanently disabled and are unable to return to work.
Provides a lump sum payment if you suffer a serious medical condition. Cover can be taken out for 40-60 medical conditions depending on the policy you choose.
By submitting this form, you agree to the privacy policy
Get quotes

The four types of personal insurance coverage

Four types of insurance can sum up all other insurance plans available in the market. They may have similar features and benefits, but they have all been designed for one purpose – to give you peace of mind and protection.

They can be purchased separately or as a package depending on your needs and the risks you are exposed to.

Types of personal insurance

The four main types of personal insurance include:

1. Life Insurance

Life insurance is one of the oldest types of insurance in existence. It was also the first to be made readily available to the general public. There are two types of life insurance; whole life policy, in which Australian life insurers offered in the past and term life cover.

Learn more about how life insurance actually works

2. Income Protection Insurance

Income protection insurance is the most overlooked type of insurance policy. A lot of people would purchase car insurance or home insurance without batting an eyelash; while not giving income insurance a thought. Contrary to what is circulating, income insurance can be a great help to you in one of the most stressful times of your life – temporary unemployment due to an illness or injury, which could often last for an extended period of time.

Learn more of the benefits of income protection

3. Critical Illness or trauma

Critical Illness insurance pays you a lump sum upon diagnosis of a traumatic medical event, such as heart disease, cancer, or stroke. As it is a type of a living insurance, it does not wait for you to die before you can benefit from it. Also known as Trauma Insurance, Critical Illness insurance can be a great help when you are going through tough medical situations by providing an alternative source of funding to your financial commitments, so that you can focus on getting better.

4. Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Insurance

TPD cover provides a lump sum payment to help you cover for the costs and expenses incurred when you have been rendered permanently disabled, due to a serious illness or injury, and it is unlikely for you to return to a full working capacity in the future. This lump sum benefit can be used by you and your family to:

  • Pay for medical expenses
  • Pay for your rehabilitation costs
  • Cover fees on hiring a nurse/housekeeper
  • Modify your home and vehicle to cater to your new condition
  • Keep up with daily living expenses and other immediate financial commitments.

In short, Total and Permanent Disability insurance allows you the financial freedom that could otherwise be difficult to achieve when you become disabled. TPD insurance can ease the stress of the situation and you can have the peace of mind knowing that there is a financial backup to fall upon despite of your new condition.

Learn more about how TPD Insurance actually works

Compare quotes for personal insurance from Australian brands

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

4 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    DMarch 5, 2018

    I have been working on my car in a panel shop and the owner of the shop wants me to get insurance, so that if anything happens to me we are both protected,
    I’m not actually working for him but being on his business shed he wants to make sure we are both protected, what would be the best insurance for that?

    • finder Customer Care
      MayMarch 6, 2018Staff

      Hi D,

      Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that finder is a comparison website and does not offer insurance ourselves.

      Your employer can actually get an insurance so any work-related incidents in your workplace will be covered. He can talk to a consultant about workers’ compensation insurance. On this page, he can find workers compensation insurance guide. Best to fill out the form on that page as well so your employer can be called by a consultant within a business day and discuss his options.

      Hope this helps.


  2. Default Gravatar
    AndrewJuly 6, 2017

    I would like to purchase personal insurance that would cover me for competing in the sport of rodeo- bull riding etc.

    • finder Customer Care
      LiezlJuly 7, 2017Staff

      Hi Andrew,

      Thanks for reaching out. Just to confirm, you have reached finder, a comparison and information service and not actually an insurer.

      As this sport can be considered as high risk, so most insurers won’t be able to cover you. You might need a specialised professionals policy which may be taken out through your industry association or your employer.


Ask a question
Go to site