Real Funeral Insurance review
Receive up to $15,000 in cover with Real Funeral Insurance and access a host of flexible features to help you build a plan for your needs.
Maximum entry age
Minimum sum insured
|Product Name||Real Funeral Cover|
|Minimum sum insured||$3,000|
|Premium discount offered|
|Premiums capped at certain age||No|
|Premium won't increase with your age|
|Terminal illness cover|
|Cooling-off period||30 days|
|Underwriter||Hannover Life Re of Australasia Ltd|
Real Funeral Insurance: Our verdict
- Real Funeral Insurance offers added flexibility with an early payout option.
- A maximum cover limit of $15,000 should meet the needs of most Aussies and is on par with four other leading providers you can get quotes with on our site.
- Moneysmart figures show that Hannover (who underwrite Real Funeral Insurance's policies) had a policy cancellation rate of 7.8%, which is slightly above the industry average of 6.7%.
Receive a quote for Real Funeral Cover
Why compare life insurance with Finder?
You pay the same price as buying directly from the life insurer.
We're not owned by an insurer (unlike other comparison sites).
We've done 100+ hours of policy research to help you understand what you're comparing.
A quick review of Real Funeral Cover
Key points of Real funeral insurance
- Funeral insurance benefit. This is a lump sum amount your nominated beneficiaries will receive when you die. You can apply for between $3,000 and $15,000.
- Accidental death benefit. If you die as a direct result of an accident, you can get a payout two times the funeral benefit amount you've selected – that's in addition to your chosen benefit amount. A Bonus Cover can also apply if you're over 85.
- Accidental serious injury benefit. You are automatically covered for a range of serious accidental injuries at no additional cost (up to the age of 75).
- Bonus cover. This is an additional benefit that applies from age 85. Real insurance will automatically add 25% to your funeral insurance benefit amount – at no added cost.
- Early cash out option. You can end your funeral insurance at any time after your 85th birthday and get 75% of your funeral benefit amount
- Terminal illness benefit. 100% of your benefit is paid to you if you become terminally ill, after holding your policy for 12 months (other Ts&Cs apply.
Other features and benefits.
Some other reasons that Real Funeral Insurance might be right for you.
- Quick cash payment. Payouts to your family are made within 1 business day of Real receiving your paperwork.
- Get back 10% of premiums back after 12 months with The Real Reward™.
Note: Be sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for terms and conditions.
Applying for Real funeral insurance cover
This cover might be suitable if:
- You are after an underwriter with claims performance that meets the industry standard
- You're looking for quick and easy cover with no medical assessment.
- You have the financial capacity to pay premiums (subject to change over time) during the cover period.
Don't get this cover if:
- Non-Australian residents and if you are not between 40 to 79 years of age.
- You want to stop paying for premiums once the amount you've paid reaches your funeral insurance benefit amount.
Real funeral insurance pros and cons
Still wondering if Real is right for you? Here are the main pros and cons summarised:
- No medical assessment (great if you are in good health).
- Premiums are structured as level premiums, meaning they will generally not increase over time (unless you increase your cover or the underwriter, Hannover, changes the premium rates for all policyholders).
- Not available to non-Australian residents.
How do I make a Real funeral insurance claim?
You can make a Real funeral insurance claim in one of the following ways:
- Phone. Call 1300 307 297 to make a claim (available Monday to Friday, between 8:00am and 8:00pm AEST)
- Email. Send them an email at email@example.com
- Write. You can write to them on: Claims Services, Real Life Insurance, PO Box 6728, Baulkham Hills NSW 2153
What won't Real Funeral Insurance cover?
Under the Real Funeral Cover policy
Your claim will not be paid if it is made during the first 12 months of the policy for any cause of death other than accidental death. In addition, no Accidental Serious Injury Insurance Benefit will be paid if you suffer an accidental serious injury as a result of:
- An intentional self-inflicted bodily injury
- Engaging in illegal activity
- Suicide or attempted suicide
- The consumption of drugs (unless taken as prescribed by a medical practitioner)
- The consumption of alcohol, including driving whilst over the legal blood-alcohol limit
- Engaging in any professional sport or motor sports
- Taking part in a riot or civil commotion
- Travelling on an aircraft (except as a passenger on a properly licensed aircraft)
Some conditions to be aware of
Under the Real Funeral Insurance policy
- Cover in the first 12 months is only for accidental deaths and serious injuries.
- Accidental Serious Injury expires on the policy anniversary after your 75th birthday.
- If you choose the Early Cash Out option you will no longer be eligible to claim. The payout may also be less than the total premiums you have paid for so far.
- There's no refund of premiums after the cooling off period ends.
For a full list of conditions, make sure you review the PDS (Product Disclosure Statement).