- Maximum cover
- Maximum entry age
- Minimum sum insured
- Get cover of up to $15,000 - this is in-line with our five quoting partners and should meet the needs of most families.
- You can choose between a single plan for yourself or family cover depending on your preferences.
- Moneysmart figures show that, for funeral insurance, Guardian's underwriter Hannover had 150.6 disputes per 100k lives insured. This was above the industry average of 56.3.
|Product Name||Guardian Funeral Insurance|
|Minimum sum insured||$3,000|
|Premium discount offered|
|Premiums capped at certain age||85|
|Premium won't increase with your age|
|Terminal illness cover|
|Cooling-off period||30 days|
|Underwriter||Hannover Life Re of Australasia Ltd|
|Minimum entry age||40|
|Maximum entry age||79|
|Early payout option|
|Maximum sum insured||$15,000|
|Age of entry||40 to 79|
|How do I apply?||Online with Guardian|
Information last checked on May 2023. Always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
This cover might be suitable if:
- You are unable to get regular life insurance
- You're after an underwriter with claims performance that meets the industry standard
- You are between 40 and 79 years of age
Reconsider your need for cover if:
- You already have enough savings for a funeral
- You already have an adequate funeral plan
- You already have life insurance in place with a funeral benefit
Read a more detailed review on:
Key points of Guardian funeral insurance
With Guardian Funeral Insurance, you can ensure that the cost of your funeral is already sorted, which means one less thing for your loved ones to worry about at a time that will already be hard enough.
- Choice of benefit amounts: With Guardian Funeral Insurance you can choose benefits of between $3,000 and $15,000. When selecting a benefit level, bear in mind that the average cost of a funeral is now $4,000 to $15,000. With this plan, if your death is accidental the benefit is doubled. It also comes with an accidental serious injury benefit which is 3 x the funeral benefit amount (this benefit expires after your 75th birthday).
- Guaranteed acceptance: If you are an Australian resident and you are within the ages of 40 and 79, you can enjoy the peace of mind that acceptance for Guardian Funeral Insurance is guaranteed.
- Single and joint cover options: You will be able to choose from a range of cover options to suit your needs when you take out Guardian Funeral Insurance. This includes individual single and joint cover options.
- Cash out option: At age 85, you can cash out 75% of your benefit amount or continue your policy at no further cost and receive an additional 25% in bonus cover.
- A 30 days day cooling off period: If you take out Guardian Funeral Insurance but you change your mind for any reason, you can benefit from the 30 days day cooling off period, which enables you to get your money back in full and cancel your policy.
- 100th birthday benefit: Once you reach your 100th birthday, your cover ends and Guardian will pay you your benefit amount and an additional 25% in bonus cover.
- No medical: When you take out Guardian Funeral Insurance, there is no medical to worry about and no health questions that you need to answer. Your application will be accepted without any problem as long as you fit the criteria with regards to age and residency.
- Simple application: Applying for Guardian Funeral Insurance couldn't be easier. You can make your application with speed and ease over the phone or online, making it more convenient and quicker to get your funeral cover sorted.
Note: Be sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for terms and conditions.
Your application: Key points
Applying for Guardian funeral insurance cover
Generally, applicants can apply for Guardian Funeral Insurance if they meet the following requirements:
In order to qualify for a Single Plan on your own life or a Family Plan that includes your spouse, partner or de facto, you (and your partner) must be:
- An Australian resident
- Aged between 40 and 79 years
There are many reasons why you should consider taking out Guardian Funeral Insurance. Some of the main ones include:
- Peace of mind for you and your loved ones: Having Guardian Funeral Insurance in place means that you can benefit from the peace of mind that your funeral costs will be covered when you are no longer around. Your loved ones will also have the peace of mind that in the event of your death they won't have the added strain of trying to quickly find thousands of dollars to fund funeral costs.
- Level premiums. Guardian life insurance premiums are structured as level premiums, meaning they will generally not increase over time (unlike stepped premiums) unless you increase your cover or the underwriter (Hannover) changes premium rates to all policyholders.
- Financial security: It can be difficult for your loved ones to find the money to pay for your funeral from their own pockets. When you have Guardian Funeral Insurance in place, your family will have the financial security of having your funeral costs already covered.
- Avoiding feuds: The issue of funding a funeral can cause big rifts between surviving family members, particularly when money is tight. When you have funeral cover in place, you can cut the risk of these rifts forming as your family will not have to worry about funeral costs.
The benefit from your Guardian Funeral Insurance is paid out to your beneficiaries upon your death, and is usually tax free. Depending on how much your loved ones receive from the benefit, they can use the money to cover your funeral expenses and perhaps even pay off small debts and settle other financial affairs.
What won't the Guardian Funeral Policy Cover?
- During the first 12 months after you take out a policy, increase your level of cover or have your policy reinstated, a benefit will only be paid if your death results from an accident. Once this 12-month period ends, death by all other causes is then covered.
For the full list of exclusions, read the current PDS on the provider's site.Back to top
Compare more Funeral insurance policies below
Why compare life insurance with Finder?
You pay the same price as buying directly from the life insurer.
We're not owned by an insurer (unlike other comparison sites).
We've done 100+ hours of policy research to help you understand what you're comparing.
Why you can trust Finder's life insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the life insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of life insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2016, we've helped 270,000+ people find life insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked