Apia Funeral Insurance Review
Apia Funeral insurance offers a comparatively good range of policy features and you can get cover for up to $15,000.
Maximum entry age
Minimum sum insured
Apia funeral insurance: Our verdict
- Other strong policy features with this provider include an early payout option, terminal illness cover and the change to score a premium discount.
- Apia isn't the only brand to offer up to a $15,000 benefit – this is the industry standard.
Get a quote from Apia Funeral insurance
Why compare life insurance with Finder?
You pay the same price as buying directly from the life insurer.
We're not owned by an insurer (unlike other comparison sites).
We've done 100+ hours of policy research to help you understand what you're comparing.
Read a more detailed review on:
Key points of Apia funeral insurance
- Accidental Death. Any cause of death is covered after the first 12 months of cover.
- Benefit amount. Apia Funeral Insurance offers between $3,000 – $15,000. This can be increased to up to $25,000 once your policy is in place.
- Payout within 24 hours. Payment is usually made within 24 hours of an approved claim.
- Add a family member to your policy. You can get a 5% discount when you add another adult aged between 45 and 80 who is an Australian resident.
- 10% Bonus Cover after 5 years. This is provided at no extra cost.
- Early payout option. Receive 120% of your average cover amount after your 85th birthday. However, there are income tax implications you should consider before claiming this option.
- Annual premium discount. You'll only pay 11 months instead of 12 if you pay for the year.
Note: Be sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for terms and conditions.
Applying for Apia funeral insurance cover
Generally, applicants can apply for APIA Funeral Insurance if they meet the following requirements:
- Age. Be between 45 and 80 years of age.
- Citizen. Be an Australian citizen, permanent resident of Australia or New Zealand citizen.
- Require cover. You should need or expect to need to pay for your funeral to be suitable for cover. It's not suitable if you simply want to save for a funeral.
Apia funeral insurance pros and cons
Still wondering if Apia is right for you? Here are the main pros and cons summarised:
- The premium cap is good because it means you won't pay than your final benefit.
- Premiums are waived after you turn No.
- It's not generally suitable for Australian residents under 45.
- You need to be an Australian resident to apply.
How do I make an Apia funeral insurance claim?
The surviving policyholder or legal personal representative or nominated beneficiary needs to contact Apia Funeral Insurance after an insurable event occurs.
- Apia Funeral Insurance will send a claim pack, which would mention the information required for processing the claim
- Once the claim is approved the payments are usually made within 24 hours
What are some of the key exclusions of Apia funeral insurance?
Apia won't pay out a claim for the following reasons:
- No payout if you die during the first 12 months.
- Limited payouts on Accidental Death. You won't be covered if your death is the result of:
- Suicide or an intentional self-inflicted act
- Participation in any criminal activity
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Undertaking a dangerous occupation
- Participation in dangerous pursuits