5% discount for joint funeral insurance policies
Apia Funeral Insurance Review
Apia Funeral insurance offers a comparatively good range of policy features and you can get cover for up to $15,000.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
A funeral costs in Australia can cost from $4,000 to $15,0001. These costs need to be paid upfront, which can put unnecessary financial stress on your family during emotionally trying times.
Apia Funeral Insurance can provide you with cover from $3,000 to $15,000, with payments typically made to your beneficiaries within 24 hours of an approved claim.
- Apia premiums are capped when you turn 85. This should mean you never end up paying more than your final benefit.
- Other strong policy features with this provider include an early payout option, terminal illness cover and the change to score a premium discount.
Review by our insurance senior writer James Martin
Current APIA offers for August 2021
Get a quote from Apia Funeral insurance
Frequently asked questions when it comes to Apia Funeral Insurance cover
Apia Funeral Insurance products are provided by TAL Direct Pty Limited, which is part of the TAL Dai-ichi Life Australia Pty Limited group of companies (TAL). TAL companies are not part of the Suncorp Group, and use the AAMI brand under license. TAL is one of Australia's leading life insurers with over 150 years experience. Information is current as of 20 July, 2021 and may be subject to change from time to time without notice.
Apia Funeral Insurance covers the funeral costs of a policyholder.
- How much cover do I need? This policy covers funeral costs from $3,000 to $15,000
- How quickly will my family receive a benefit payment? The funeral costs need to be paid up front. This policy completes the payment usually within 24 hours of any approved claim so the family members get the financial assistance when it is required the most.
- Does the policy offer automatic acceptance? If an applicant is between 45 and 80 years of age, the application will be automatically accepted.
- Will the policy cover me if I die overseas? This policy provides cover 24/7, 365 days a year and anywhere in the world. This is especially useful if you are travelling abroad.
- Is there a family discount? Receive an additional 5% discount when you add another adult to the same Funeral Insurance policy.
- Can I get an early payout? Enjoy the option of receiving 120% of your benefit after your 85th birthday.
- Is there a cooling off period? There is a 30 days day cooling off period within which the policy can be cancelled if you are not satisfied with the service or the final terms without any penalties.
Who can apply for Apia Funeral Insurance?
Generally, applicants can apply for APIA Funeral Insurance if they meet the following requirements:
- Age. The applicant must be between 45 and 80 years of age.
- Citizen. The applicant must be an Australian citizen or be a permanent resident of Australia.
- Number. Up to two people can take this policy jointly.
If this policy is suitable for your needs you can apply by calling Apia Funeral Insurance and speaking to a customer service representative or completing an online application.
What are the risks associated with the policy?
Any insurance policy comes with risk. It is always better to carefully examine all the terms and conditions of the policy or to consult a financial adviser before taking the policy. Some risks include
- Is this policy right for me? For those people who don't have adequate financial assets to cover any sudden financial costs, then funeral insurance might be beneficial.
- 12 month period. This policy covers any eventuality that occurs after the first 12 months months of taking the policy. During the first 12 months claims for only accidental deaths will be processed. The claims will be refused during the first twelve months if death is caused as a result of:
- Prior accident. If a policyholder dies due to an accident which happened before the commencement of the policy.
- Sickness. Death due to any sickness is not covered.
- Self-inflicted act. Death due to intentional self-inflicted act will not be considered in the first twelve months.
How to make a claim with Apia Funeral Insurance?
The surviving policyholder or legal personal representative or nominated beneficiary needs to contact Apia Funeral Insurance after an insurable event occurs.
- Apia Funeral Insurance will send a claim pack, which would mention the information required for processing the claim
- Once the claim is approved the payments are usually made within 24 hours
Ready to apply for cover?
If you want to help save your family from having to worry about finances during an emotionally trying period, Apia Funeral Insurance might provide the cover you need. Compare Apia Funeral Insurance to other policies on the market and find the cover that is right for you.
More guides on Finder
Can I still get life insurance if I’m overweight?
Find out if you can still get life insurance if you’re overweight, what your options are and where to get cover.
Landlord Insurance in Queensland
Your guide to getting landlord insurance in Queensland.
Landlord Insurance New South Wales
Your guide to landlord insurance in NSW.
Skoda Superb Range Review
Looking to purchase a new family vehicle? The Skoda Superb might be worth adding to your shortlist.
How much does landlord insurance cost?
Landlord insurance can protect your investment from fire, theft, problem tenants and more.
How much does funeral insurance cost?
We took a look at a popular brand's funeral insurance product to see how much it might cost.
Aspect Income Protection Insurance
Cover up to 85% of your salary with one of Aspect's flexible income protection policies.
Online funeral streaming
Find out why online funeral streaming is a reality for people with family scattered throughout the world.
Delphi Bank Midas Account
If you have a specific savings goal that you want to meet fast, while not paying any account keeping or transaction fees, the Delphi Bank Midas account may be the right savings account for you. Look closely at the interest rates and terms being offered by other banks and choose the one that will get you to your big purchase quickest.
Not at fault car insurance
If you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident through no fault of your own and your car is damaged or written off, you have several options of receiving a payout from a car insurance claim. This guide will run you through some questions you may have and help you take the next steps.
Ask an Expert