Receive affordable cover for extras only with NIB and cover dental, physio, chiro and more
With more than a million Australian and New Zealand residents covered, nib is one of the most prominent health funds in Australia and is dedicated to a balance of value and cover with exceptional customer service.
You can get your hospital and extras cover from the same fund or from a different fund to create your own plan. See the standalone extras that are available from nib and whether they’re right for your health plan.
The extras plans
The standalone extras options from nib are the comprehensive Top extras plan and the flexible Core plan.
When you choose the core plan, there are three different add-ons available. You can add up to two of them to your cover to find a plan that works for you.
- yes - Included
- no - Not included
- add-on - Can be added to core plans
|Top (75% back)||Core (65% back)|
|Preventative dental (examinations, scale and clean, fluoride treatments)|
|General dental (fillings, x-rays and basic extractions)|
|Major dental (crowns and bridges, root canal, wisdom teeth, dentures and implants)|
|Antenatal and postnatal|
|Chiropractic and osteopathy|
|Healthier lifestyle benefits|
|Speech processor for hearing aids|
|Podiatry and orthotics|
What are the benefits of these plans?
The add-ons for the Core extras plan come in three different forms, letting you tailor cover to your situation. The exact benefits available will be dependent on which add-on you’ve included. You can add up to two of the following to your Core plan. When your chosen add-ons give the same benefits twice, you get double the limits.
- Family extras. This is the add-on for families. When you get health aids cover through this extra, you can specifically get cover for kids’ items like those used for asthma or dyslexia. It’s also the only add-on which lets you get orthodontics and speech therapy cover with your Core policy.
- Wellbeing extras. This add-on isfor staying in shape. Health aids added through this extra include a range of benefits like splints, braces, joint fluid replacements and other items that a healthy person who’s experienced an injury may be more likely to use. This add-on includes chiropractic, osteopathy, natural therapies and psychology.
- Young At Heart extras. Designed for aging with style, this inclusion adds a specialised range of useful health devices cover to your Core policy, including cover for hearing aids, pharmaceuticals, preventative tests and others.
See the extras added by each add-on in more detail
|Family add-on||Wellbeing add-on||Young at Heart add-on|
|Antenatal and postnatal|
|Chiropractic and Osteopathy|
|Healthier lifestyle (gym memberships, etc.)|
|Podiatry and orthotics|
|Nebulisers, Irlen lenses, peak flow meters, spacers|
|Hip, knee, ankle and foot orthoses, knee and shoulder braces, finger, knee, hand and elbow orthoses and splints, joint fluid replacement|
|Surgical stockings, pressure garments, CPAP machines and parts, erectile dysfunction pumps, walking frames, hip protectors, blood pressure monitors and coagulation checks, low vision aids|
You can also choose to raise the limits of your Core extras plan by a set amount depending on the benefit to help make sure you’re able to get full use out of your cover.
Whether you’re choosing Top extras to get cover for almost everything or creating your own cover with Core extras plus the optional add-ons, you can balance cost and cover in a way that meets your needs.
However, some cover types are always important. No matter which extras plan you choose, you’ll get unlimited emergency ambulance cover and unlimited preventative dental benefits. With Top cover, you can also get an extras plan that covers speech processors as well as hearing aids, which is often not available with health insurance extras and might add a lot of value if you need to use it.
Plans can also include specific and separate benefits for screening tests (cancer screening, etc.) and healthy lifestyle inclusions (reimbursement for gym memberships and similar) to help you get more consistent value from your cover. Similarly, you can still use your optical limit towards sunglasses and designer or fashion eyewear even if you have perfect 20/20 eyesight.
Thanks to its scale, nib is also able to make agreements with certain providers, letting you get up to 100% back on optical and dental services at nib participating dentists, opticians and eyewear retailers.
Limitations and waiting periods
Limits and sub-limits apply to your cover, and in the case of orthodontics so does a lifetime limit, which increases with every year of consecutive cover. You cannot claim more than this amount. These limits depend on your cover level and whether you’ve chosen a higher-limits or a lower-limits Core policy.
Waiting periods also apply as follows:
- 36 months. Hearing aids and speech processors
- 12 months. Orthodontics, health aids, major dental
- 6 months. Optical, healthier lifestyle benefits, preventative tests
- 2 months. Everything else
How to pay premiums and make claims
To make claims, simply swipe your nib membership card with participating providers. Alternatively, you can make claims for received services online.
You can pay your premiums in a number of ways:
- Direct bank account debit for a 4% discount
- Mastercard, Visa or American Express credit cards
- Online card detail payments
- In person at nib stores
- Sending cheques in the mail