NAB Defence Force Fixed Rate Home Loan
A Defence Force home loan with a fixed rate and the backing of one of the big four banks
NAB has been providing home loan options to cater to those benefiting from the Defence Home Owner Scheme since 1991, and gives eligible Defence Force members flexible options when participating in the assistance scheme. The NAB Defence Force Fixed Rate Home Loan has low fees and allows for flexible repayments.
Marc Terrano is a lead publisher and growth marketer at Finder. He has previously worked at Finder as a publisher for frequent flyer points and home loans, and as a writer, podcast host and content marketer. Marc has a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) from the University of Technology Sydney. He’s passionate about creating honest and simple reviews and comparisons to help everyone get value for money.
Eligible Defence Force members can receive subsidy payments on their mortgage through the Defence Force Home Ownership Scheme by applying for the home loan with one of the three Defence-nominated providers, NAB being one of them. After you take out a home loan your subsidy will be paid directly into your home loan. The amount you borrow will be dependent on your home loan provider, and does not depend on any conditions within the scheme. The Defence Force will then subsidise a certain amount of the loan based on your eligible subsidy tier.
About this loan
The NAB Defence Force Fixed Rate Home Loan is available to Australian Defence Force members participating in the new Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme. The loan is intended to be used for people looking to buy property or refinance an existing mortgage, but cannot be used for investment purposes. Eligible Defence Force members will need to reside in the home for a minimum of 12 months to continue receiving subsidies.
What are the features and benefits of the NAB Defence Force Home Loan?
The loan combines the benefits of saving with the Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme with NAB's flexible options. Some of the features of the loan include:
- Flexible repayments. You can make repayments every week, fortnight or month and can make additional repayments, which are unlimited on variable rate loans and limited to up to $20,000 for fixed rate home loans.
- Maximum loan-to-value ratio. Borrowers can borrow up to 95% of the property value with this loan. Borrowing more than 80% of the property value will come with lenders mortgage insurance (LMI).
- Choice Package. You can include your NAB Defence Force Home Loan in a Choice Package, which allows you to combine your NAB home loan, credit card and insurance policies into one package that can save you money.
- Split options. You can split your loan into fixed and variable portions to help safeguard your finances while taking advantage of low interest rates.
What fees and charges come with this loan?
The fees associated with this loan depend on the loan option you choose, but look below to see the rates that may be applicable.
- Application fees: $0.
- Monthly fee. $395 per month.
The NAB Defence Force Home Loan is designed to assist current and former Australian Defence Force members and their families. You need to have served within the previous two years before applying for the Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme and you also need to have completed a qualifying period of service and accrued a service credit. To be eligible for this loan you need to be able to meet strict requirements regarding a number of factors which are explained in our guide to the Defence Force Home Loan Scheme.
- Service credits - You must retain sufficient service credit to support ongoing monthly subsidy payments.
- Service term - There's a reasonable expectation that you will continue to serve for another 12 months at least.
- Investment properties - You cannot have bought a home, to live in or as an investment, while serving.
- Max credits - A maximum of 48 months service credits may be exchanged for a lump sum at the tier 1 level.
- Eligibility - You are not entitled to a lump sum if you bought a residential property before you were given the Subsidy Certificate that is used as a basis for the lump sum request.
How to apply
To apply for a NAB Defence Force Home Loan, you need to take the following steps:
- Qualify and accrue service credit
- Apply for a Subsidy Certificate. This certificate takes about five business days to process.
- Take your Subsidy Certificate to NAB and decide on a loan option that suits your needs.
- When you apply with NAB you will need to provide ID, financial information including debts, assets and income, residential status and your Subsidy Certificate.
- After your home loan is settled and drawn, NAB will advise the Defence Force of the home loan balance and you need to submit a Subsidy Authorisation Request Form.
- The Defence Force Home Owner Assistance Scheme will then calculate your subsidy and lump sum payments if applicable and you will then receive a letter with the payment details.
- You will then start receiving the subsidy amount directly into your home loan each month.
Home Loan OffersImportant Information*
Up to $3,000 refinance cashback. A flexible and competitive variable rate loan. Eligible borrowers refinancing $250,000 or more can get $2,000 cashback per property plus a bonus $1,000 for their first application. Other conditions apply.
Up to $4,000 refinance cashback. With this competitive variable rate loan from St.George, refinancers borrowing $250,000+ can get up $4,000 cashback and borrow up to 90% of the property's value. (Terms, conditions & exclusions apply).
A competitive variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers $0 application and $0 ongoing fees. This interest rate falls over time as you pay off the loan.
Take advantage of a low-fee mortgage with a special interest rate of just 2.34% p.a. and a 2.34% p.a. comparison rate.