- Customer support available 7 days a week
- 50% off plan fees for first 6 months
- Runs on the Vodafone 4G network, which has limited coverage in regional and rural areas of Australia
- Almost the same mobile plans as iiNet, minus bonus data for existing iiNet customers
If you aren't too worried about a feature-packed mobile plan and just need some uncomplicated call, text and data, Westnet is a decent choice.
Though if you're an iiNet broadband customer, you could be better off with iiNet instead. With the same mobile plan spread, and a bonus 80GB on offer on Large plans, iiNet edges just in front of Westnet in terms of value.
Westnet could suit you if
- You like being able to get help when you need it. Westnet's accounts line is available 7 days a week.
- You're looking for a sweet sign-up discount. You'll get 50% off plan prices for the first 6 months if you're a new Westnet customer.
But keep in mind that Westnet
- Only has pay-as-you-go international roaming. Charges can rack up quickly overseas and you're almost always better off with a local or travel SIM.
- Has no bonus deal for existing Westnet Internet customers. Unlike iiNet, Westnet doesn't give you any extras on its mobile plans if you already have a Westnet broadband account.
Read a more detailed review on
Value for money
Westnet's real draw is its introductory 50% off offer, making its plans great value when you first sign up.
- Good to know: Westnet mobile plans cost an average of $0.69 per 1GB when you first sign up, which is great against a benchmark of $1 per 1GB. After 6 months though, this increases to $1.38 per 1GB, which is not so cheap.
Westnet uses the Vodafone 4G network to provide service in Australia.
- The Vodafone network reaches 96% of Australians, which is less than both Optus (98.5%) and Telstra (99.5%).
- You get the same coverage that you would if you bought a plan from Vodafone.
- While your reception should be fine in most metro areas, you could have less coverage in some rural and regional areas.
Westnet has a customer service team that operates 7 days a week, 9am-9:30pm AEST Monday to Friday and 9am-6pm on weekends. To contact Westnet, you can do the following:
- Ring up the customer support line.
- Shoot through a message on Westnet's Facebook page.
- Send an email if you're not worried about getting a slower response.
Westnet Mobile only has 1 extra feature available on its mobile plans.
🌏 International calls inclusions
Westnet's Extra Large plan will give you 100 international calling minutes that you can use to call most countries.
For similar value
iiNet basically offers the same plans as Westnet, but with an 80GB bonus on its Large plan for existing iiNet broadband customers.
For more data
If Westnet's data options don't do it for you, you can get up to a huge 100GB from Circles.Life for just $45.
For wider coverage
Boost Mobile is the only smaller provider to use Telstra's full 4G network, which reaches 99.5% of Australians.
Unfortunately, you can't purchase Westnet mobile plans through Finder. You'll have to visit westnet.com.au in order to purchase your desired plan.
Otherwise, keep comparing plans on Finder to find one that works for you.Compare mobile plans
What if I want to keep my current phone number?
You can choose to transfer your current phone number over to Westnet when you activate your SIM. Westnet doesn't say how long the transfer will take, but most porting processes take around 24-48 hours to complete.
If your current mobile number isn't registered under your name, it might take a couple more steps. Read our guide on how to change ownership of your mobile number.
Why you can trust Finder's mobile plan experts
We've done the work
We've researched and reviewed hundreds of phone plans to make our guides as helpful as possible. Our experts can be seen across TV, print and digital media.
Our product database of 52 providers is updated daily with the latest mobile deals in Australia. Our guides are regularly reviewed and fact-checked.
We're here to help
Since 2015, we've helped over 1.2 million people find the right mobile plan by explaining features clearly and simply. We're here to help you make a decision.