Energy rebates and concessions in Queensland

Find out if you're eligible to get cheaper electricity, gas and solar in Queensland.

Queensland electricity and gas rebates Find out here
Other states and territories Concessions and rebates

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

If you're a Queensland resident, there are several energy concessions and rebates that could help lower your energy bills if you meet the eligibility requirements. We'll explain the different rebates and concessions you might qualify for and walk you through the steps to apply.

In this guide

Types of concessions and rebates in Queensland

Residents of Queensland may be able to receive rebates on electricity, gas, and solar bills if they meet eligibility requirements.

The following table shows an overview of energy rebates and concessions available in Queensland. To find out more about a specific rebate, click on the one you're interested in.

What is it?Type of energy
energy iconQueensland electricity and gas rebatesConcessions for pensioners, seniors and veteransElectricity and gas
life supportElectricity Life SupportRebates for those using energy-intensive life support equipmentElectricity and gas
Medical energy rebateMedical Cooling and Heating Concession SchemeRebates for people who are medically unable to regulate their body temperatureElectricity
Low income houseHome Energy Emergency Assistance SchemeOne-off concession for those experiencing financial difficultyElectricity and gas
elderly iconConcessions for owners of multi-unit buildings or residential communitiesConcessions for owners of units or residential communities with pensioners, seniors and veteransElectricity and gas
drought iconDrought Relief From Electricity Scheme (DRECS)Assistance for those living in drought-affected areasElectricity
Energy SupplementAutomatic rebates for your energy billElectricity
solarSolar energy rebatesRebates for energy fed back into the power gridSolar

energy icon

Queensland electricity and gas rebates

Queensland pensioners, seniors and veterans may be eligible for electricity and natural gas rebates.

Who can apply? Anyone who holds one of the following cards can claim electric and gas rebates:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • DVA Gold Card, with the War Widow/Widower Pension or special-rate TPI Pension only
  • Queensland Seniors Card

Electricity only rebates are available to the following:

  • Commonwealth Health Care Card holders
  • Asylum seeker-status residents

Eligible cardholders must also be living alone or sharing their principal residence with one of the following:

  • Spouse
  • Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card holders
  • Dependents
  • Other people who receive income support payments from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) and do not pay rent
  • Live-in carers or helpers, whether paid or unpaid, who do not pay rent.

How to apply: Contact your energy retailer for an application. If you live in a caravan park, multi-unit building or other residential community with individually metered energy, contact your landlord and they can apply on your behalf.

life support

Electricity Life Support

If you or someone in your household uses energy-intensive life support equipment, the Electricity Life Support concession could help lower your energy bill. You should also contact your electricity provider and register as a life support household so that you can receive assistance in the event of a power loss. Even if you don't qualify for the concession, you can still register with your retailer as a life support household so that you can be specifically contacted in the event of power outages.

Who can apply? You may apply for this concession if you or someone in your household uses an oxygen concentrator or a kidney dialysis machine at home and meets the following eligibility requirements:

  • The machine-user must be a permanent resident of Queensland, have a permanent or stable health condition or disability, and the machine must have been determined to be medically necessary.
  • The oxygen concentrator, where applicable, must have been received free of charge through the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS).

One of the following concession cards is also required:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Health Care Interim Voucher
  • Child Disability Allowance
  • Queensland Seniors Card

How to apply: The application process varies depending on whether you are claiming for an oxygen concentrator or a dialysis machine. If you have an oxygen concentrator, an application form will be sent to you within two weeks of receiving your machine through the MASS scheme. If you have a dialysis machine, you must submit an application to the Renal Units at Queensland Health hospitals.

Medical energy rebate

Medical Cooling or Heating Concession Scheme

The Medical Cooling or Heating Concession Scheme is available to Queensland residents who have specific medical conditions that prevent the body from effectively regulating its temperature and may be worsened when exposed to extreme temperatures.

Who can apply? The applicant must have been medically diagnosed with a qualifying condition, and a doctor must have determined that the qualifying condition will be significantly worsened without proper heating or air conditioning. The medical diagnosis must confirm not only the existence of an eligible condition, but also confirm there are health impacts from exposure to certain temperatures. Your medical practitioner will need to complete part of the application form. Qualifying medical conditions include any one or more of the following:

  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Autonomic system dysfunction
  • Loss of skin integrity or sweating capacity, such as may result from severe burns
  • Loss of mobility or other loss of function at temperature extremes
  • Hypersensitivity to heat or cold which leads to discomfort or increased risk of medical complications

Additionally, the applicant must:

  • Have an air conditioning or heating unit
  • Be responsible for paying the household energy bill
  • Have a current Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card

How to apply: Complete an application form and send it to Queensland Concession Services.

Low income house

Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme

If you are experiencing a short-term financial emergency or temporary financial hardship, you might qualify for a one-off emergency assistance concession.

Who can apply? To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must hold a current concession card.
  • You must be part of your energy retailer's hardship program or payment plan. Contact your energy retailer to find its eligibility requirements.
  • You must earn less than the government's current maximum income for part-age pensioners.

How to apply: Contact your energy retailer.

Additional rebates and concessions

elderly icon

Concessions for owners of units or residential communities

If you are the owner of a residential community or a multi-unit building, you are required to claim rebates on behalf of eligible pensioners or seniors in your residential community.
Who can apply? Owners of units of residential communities can apply in the following circumstances:

  • You are the customer of the community’s energy retailer
  • You supply electricity and/or gas to separately identifiable residences
  • You charge tenants for electricity or gas consumption based on metered consumption

Eligible pensioners are seniors who have a concession card and either live alone or share their premises with the following:

  • A spouse or other eligible cardholders
  • Other people who are wholly dependent on them
  • Other non-rent-paying social security recipients
  • Live-in carers, whether official or informal, who do not pay rent

How to apply: You'll need to submit an application to the Queensland government on behalf of your tenants.

drought icon

Drought Relief from Electricity Charges Scheme (DRECS)

You may be eligible for financial assistance if you live in a drought-affected area or if your property has been drought-declared. Rebates are specifically for electricity accounts that are used to pump water for farm or irrigation purposes.

Who can apply? You must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a farmer of a property that has been individually drought-declared or is within a drought-declared area.
  • You must be experiencing disruptions to your ability to pump water for farming or irrigation.
  • You must agree to the terms and conditions described on the application form.

How to apply: Complete an online application form.

What about the Energy Supplement?

You may receive regular rebates towards your energy bill if you are receiving other forms of assistance payments. However, the supplement is only awarded to those who became eligible on or before 19 September 2016. If you become eligible after this date, you won't be able to receive the Energy Supplement.

How to apply: The Energy Supplement is automatically applied to eligible applicants.

Other states and territories

Here are the available concessions and rebates in each state:

Victorian residents may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:

  • Winter Gas Concession
  • Medical Cooling Concession
  • Annual Electricity Concession (a year-round discount for residents with concession cards)
  • Life Support Concession

Learn more about Victorian energy rebates

Residents of New South Wales may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:

  • Low Income Household Rebate
  • Family Energy Rebate
  • NSW Gas Rebate
  • Life Support Rebate
  • Medical Energy Rebate

Get more information about energy rebates in New South Wales

South Australian residents may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:
  • Energy Bill Concession
  • Medical Heating and Cooling Concession
  • Cost of Living Concession
  • Residential Park Resident Concession
  • Home Dialysis Electricity Concession
If you live in Tasmania you may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:
  • Annual Electricity Concession
  • Heating Allowance
  • Life Support Concession
  • Medical Cooling Concession
People in Western Australia should look at their government's Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS).
There is an Energy Concession covering electricity and gas for residents of the ACT.

More guides on Finder

Lower your household bills

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    LeeSeptember 1, 2018

    Are energy rebates and concessions still applicable if I have Solar?

      Default Gravatar
      ArnoldSeptember 3, 2018

      Hi Lee,

      Thanks for your inquiry.

      Yes, that is correct Lee. The Queensland Solar Bonus Scheme lets you get rebates for using solar energy at home. You can get a rebate depending on how much power your system is producing.

      This scheme encourages more people to install solar panels as an alternative energy source, the government offers significant rebates to qualifying homeowners. Learn about what you may be entitled to through our guide on solar rebates in Australia.

      Hope this information helps


Go to site