TUH Health Fund provides affordable cover exclusively to current and former members of Australian unions.
Despite the many benefits offered by Medicare, it does not cover all the costs associated with looking after your health. A private health insurance policy allows you to access cover for a much wider range of medical expenses for both in hospital and out of hospital treatments.
TUH Health Fund aims to offer a range of hospital, extras or combined cover options to suit a wide range of budgets and insurance needs.
If you would like to join TUH Health Fund, you must meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Be aged 18 or over.
- Be a current or former member of a union.
- Be the family member of someone who is eligible to join. This includes a dependent child, adult child (and their partner), parent, grandchild, sibling, partner or former partner.
TUH Health Fund offers a selection of hospital, extras and combined policies. Select an option below to learn more about each type of cover available.
- Total Care Hospital. This policy provides a high level of cover that will pay benefits towards the cost of private hospital accommodation, theatre fees and specialised treatments such as maternity services and eye surgery. You can also opt for a $300 or $500 excess to reduce your premiums.
- Budget Hospital. Entry-level hospital policy that covers essential services at an affordable price. Suited to budget conscious, it will pay a benefit towards the cost of private hospital accommodation for medically necessary treatment and allows you to choose your doctor or specialist.
- Comprehensive Extras. This top tier policy offers the highest annual benefit limits and covers the full range of out of hospital treatments including major dental, orthodontics, physiotherapy, optical, health appliances and osteopathy.
- Healthy Options (60%) Extras. Designed for the health conscious, this policy allows you to claim 60% of the cost of general treatments which include major dental, physiotherapy, natural therapies and optical.
- Mid Range Extras. Providing a wide range of cover at a reasonable cost, this policy allows you to claim for major dental, orthodontics, optical, pharmaceutical, physiotherapy and more.
- Basic Extras. Affordable extras policy that provides cover for a limited range of vital services. These include general dental, optical, chiropractic, massage therapy and physiotherapy.
- Ultimate Choice. This combined policy is designed for those who want complete peace of mind. It includes the highest level of hospital and extras cover, with nil excess payable.
- Easy Choice. This insurance option combines top hospital cover with a wide range of extras services including major dental, optical, physiotherapy and more. A $300 excess is applied to keep premium costs down.
- Young Choice. A cost-effective combined policy suited to people who may not need a high level of protection. Includes basic hospital and extras cover with a $250 excess to reduce the premium cost.
- Premium discount. Get a 1.5% premium discount when you opt to pay by direct debit.
- Brisbane Health Hub. Members can receive discounts on products and access to services such as dental, optical and allied health services in one location.
- Travel benefits. Depending on their level of cover, members from regional areas who need to travel for medical treatment can receive a benefit to pay towards the cost of travel and accommodation.
The following exclusions apply to TUH Health Fund claims. Benefits will not be paid for the following treatments or services.
- Treatments from unrecognised providers
- Services rendered two years prior to the date of claiming
- Products and services obtained overseas
- Services which were not provided face to face
- Treatment by a provider who is also your family member
- Non-medically necessary hospital treatments
- Treatments that are ineligible for Medicare benefits
- Medical devices not included in hospital theatre fees
- Cosmetic surgery
- Outpatient treatments
- Charges above the Medicare Benefits Schedule fee
- Personal sundries
- Experimental procedures or therapies
- Certain high-cost medications
- Robotic surgery
If you are treated at hospital your claim will typically be lodged automatically. For extras services claims, or in the event your hospital claim is not automatically lodged, the following options are available.
- Electronic (extras only). Many extras service providers allow you to claim instantly through HICAPS or iSoft.
- Online. Through TUH Health Fund's Member Services Online portal.
- Smartphone. You can use the TUH Claiming app which is available on iOS and Android devices.
- Email. Download and fill out an electronic claim form and then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post. Completed claims forms along with the relevant receipts can be mailed to TUH, PO Box 265, Fortitude Valley Q 4006.
- In person. You can lodge your claim directly by visiting the TUH Health Hub at 438, St Pauls Terrace, Fortitude Valley.
Get the TUH Claiming app
- How is the price of medicine worked out in Australia?
- Bupa considering millennial-focused model
- Report: Coronary heart disease the leading cause of death in Australia
- 617,755 hospitalisations for work-related injuries funded by workers’ comp
- Health round-up: Home doctor visits, mental health and gestational diabetes
- Complaints about Australian government services on the rise