Find health insurance well-suited for people over 50 at Apia.
Apia aims to provide quality health care to individuals with a lot of experience living. They only offer two mid-level hospital plans, but these are designed to cover what older Australians need without weighing them down with unnecessary services.
Top 3 features:
- Good for seniors. Apia keeps premiums down by not offering cover for treatments you won't need, such as pregnancy and birth .
- Good for customisable extras.Essential and Classics Extras keep premiums low by covering only a basic spread of services.
- Beware of expensive plans. Apia's Premium Extras is roughly $25/week, which is more expensive than other extras with similar benefits and coverage.
Who is Apia?
Apia is a member of the Suncorp Group, specialising in insurance for seniors and over 50s. They serve over 700,000 Australians with products tailored towards people with a good deal of experience in living life.
What health insurance options are available?
There's a range of cover levels when it comes to private hospital services:
- Silver Essentials Hospital Plus. This is a mid-level hospital cover, where Apia will cover the costs for most common treatments you'll undergo in hospital. They will generally pay the full costs of hospital accommodation, theatre fees, intensive care costs, and more. Excess for this is flexible: $250, $500, or $750.
- Silver Premium Hospital Plus. A slightly upgraded version of the Silver Essentials plan, including cover for cataracts, weight loss surgery, and dialysis for chronic kidney failure. Flexible excess of $250, $500, or $750.
|Benefit||Silver Essential Hospital Plus||Silver Premium Hospital Plus|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Bone, joint and muscle|
|Brain and nervous system|
|Breast surgery (medically necessary)|
|Chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer|
|Diabetes management (excluding insulin pumps)|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Ear, nose and throat|
|Eye (not cataracts)|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Hernia and appendix|
|Hospital psychiatric services|
|Implantation of hearing devices|
|Kidney and bladder|
|Lung and chest|
|Male reproductive system|
|Miscarriage and termination of pregnancy|
|Pain management with device|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)|
|Tonsils, adenoids and grommets|
|Weight loss surgery|
These can be purchased separately, or combined with one of the two hospital covers above.
- Essential Extras. Provides a 60% benefit for a small range of services, including general and major dental treatment, optical appliances, and physiotherapy. No annual limit on preventative dental work. Additional extras, including pharmaceuticals, hearing aids and more, can be added on for a higher premium.
- Classic Extras. Provides a 60% benefit for the same range of services as Essential Extras, but with a higher annual limit. The same additional extras can be added on for a higher premium, as with Essential Extras.
- Premium Extras. Apia's most comprehensive extras plan. Provides a 75% benefit on everything Classic Extras offers, but also for orthodontics, exercise physiology, a range of natural therapies, speech, eye, and occupational therapy, podiatry and more. Also includes a $400 'healthier lifestyle' benefit for things like weight management and health management programs.
Information on tiers
Private health insurance has been reformed by the government in an attempt to make it more flexible and easy to navigate for consumers. As of April this year, hospital plans have been reorganized into four tiers (Basic, Bronze, Silver and Gold), with each tier having a minimum set of requirements a plan must offer to qualify. Along with the 'plus' options, this allows insurers like Apia to tailor their plans to suit their customers.
As a member of the Suncorp Group, Apia members have access to Suncorp Rewards - giving them up to 15% savings on eGift cards for everyday items at over 100 retailers.
How to make a claim
If you're claiming for a particular health service, you can present your membership card at the time of service and claim your benefit immediately. Otherwise, you can make your claim online by uploading the relevant policy documents, or contact Apia by phone or email for help with lodging your claim.