If you have a home loan through AMP you have the opportunity to shave years off of the life of your loan. The Offset Deposit Account is a convenient transaction account that links to your home loan and each time the balance of your loan has its interest applied, it is first reduced by the amount of cash in your account. Over the course of your home loan terms, this could lead to a tremendous savings.
AMP Offset Deposit Account
- Account keeping fee
- ATM withdrawal fee
- Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
- Overseas transaction fee of transaction value
This account works as a standard everyday transaction account, but the money in the account will also offset your home loan repayments with AMP. This means that, when calculating how much interest you owe on your AMP home loan, AMP will first deduct your Offset Deposit account balance. This could potentially save you thousands over the life of your loan.
This account could be suited to you if you’ve got an existing home loan with AMP, if you’re thinking about getting a home loan with AMP or if you’re switching an existing loan with another provider over to AMP.
If you don’t have a home loan with AMP, note that there is a $6 monthly account fee on this account. So if you’re just looking for a standard transaction account that’s not used as an offset account, you’ll likely be better off with the AMP Access Account instead as this account has no monthly fee.
No minimum account opening balance
Full access to online banking, mobile banking and phone banking
Unlimited fee-free ATM transfers
Need to hold an AMP home loan to be eligible
|Product Name||AMP Offset Deposit Account|
|Monthly account fee||$6|
|Own network ATM fee||$0|
|International ATM Fee||$4.50 + 2.5%|
|International transaction fee||2.5%|
|Monthly deposit required to waive account fee||N/A|
|Contactless Payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay|
|Joint account availability||No|
|Minimum opening deposit||N/A|
Most variable rate home loans with AMP are eligible to be linked to an Offset Deposit Account. Those excluded from this are the; construction and land loans, AMP Essential Home Loan, all lines of credit and all fixed rate home loans. You may request an Offset Deposit Account on a fixed rate home loan after the fixed rate period has ended.
Monthly service fee
There is a $6 fee payable from the account when it is linked to Basic Variable Rate home loan.
Amount of offset
This is a 100% offset account, where the entire amount of your balance is deducted from what you owe on the home loan before interest is calculated.
Your account can be accessed through phone, internet and mobile banking with AMP for electronic transfers and payments. For cash withdrawals and purchases you are issued a Visa debit card linked to the account, along with a chequebook and BPAY for making your payments. Other transactions can also be made at participating Bank@Post offices.
Visa debit card
The linked Visa debit card allows you to make purchases wherever Visa is accepted, as well as over the phone and online. You are also able to use it for unlimited free cash withdrawals and enquiries at all rediATMs in Australia. Fees may be applied when using an ATM outside of this network.
2.5% of the transaction amount will be charged to your account each time you make a transaction in a foreign currency.
International point of sale transactions
Your account is charged $1.50 for each purchase made at an overseas EFTPOS.
International cash withdrawal
When you use your Visa debit card at an ATM outside of Australia you will be charged $4.50 per transaction.
How to apply
You are given two choices for applying for the Offset Deposit Account, you can either download the application form or you can visit AMP website and begin your application online. This should only take about 10 minutes, but before starting you should check to see if you are able to meet the eligibility requirements:
- Minimum age. You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for this account.
- Residency requirements. You have to be an Australian resident and/or be available to be identified in Australia when the account is opened.
- Depository requirements. While AMP makes no demand for a minimum opening balance, you should remember that the higher your balance is, the more money that will be deducted from your loan balance.
As you are filling in your online application it will also be helpful to have the following documentation readily available:
- Tax file number. For interest earning accounts, providing your tax file number (TFN) or TFN exemption code enables AMP to apply the correct withholding tax rate to your interest earnings.
- Identification. AMP will need to be able to verify your identity with information found on your passport or driver's licence. If not, you may need to complete this step at a participating Bank@Post.
- Loan number. The home loan number to which this account will be linked to will also be required.
What happens after I submit my application?
If you need additional forms in order to verify your identity, these will be posted to you within three business days. Once AMP has received identity details your account will be opened in two business days and your linked Visa debit card mailed to your home address.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked