St.George Bank provides Australian concession card holders with a low fee, easy to use day to day banking account. Available only for Australians who hold certain concession cards, this transaction account gives you complete access to your money with a Visa debit card and one of the largest ATM networks in Australia. The flexibility in banking you are given makes this an account well worth considering.
To be eligible, you must hold one a Commonwealth Government Health Concession Card or Seniors Card.
What are the features of the St.George Concession Account?
Australians who hold concession cards have special financial circumstances to take into consideration when looking for an everyday banking account. Before deciding on which is best for you, look at what St.George is offering and compare those features to similar accounts in other Australian banks:
$0 account keeping fees
St.George will not charge you any monthly fees when using this account.
Eligibility to open this account
In order to be eligible for the Concession account you must be a Commonwealth Government Health Concession Card or Senior’s Card.
Get access to your account online, at a branch and more
You can access your account and you money using ATMs with your Visa debit card, over the counter at a St.George branch, online, over the phone, and EFTPOS.
Linked Visa debit card
Your concession account will be linked to a Visa debit card, which allows you to make purchases in store, online and over the phone as if with cash. You can also use your Visa debit card to make direct cash withdrawals from your account.
Australia-wide ATM network
The Visa debit card allows you to make unlimited free transactions at St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne and Westpac ATMs in Australia, as part of the Westpac Global ATM Alliance. If you use an ATM outside of this network, you may be charged a fee.
Overseas cash withdrawal
Any cash withdrawal made outside of Australia will result in a $5 charge to your account.
Foreign transaction fees
If you make any transaction that requires the conversion of currency to the Australian dollar, you will be charged 3.00% of the Australian dollar amount. This could include purchases made online, where the merchant is located outside of Australia.
You can bank on the go by downloading the St.George app onto your iPhone or android mobile device. This app has features such as cardless cash which allows you to make cash withdrawals from an ATM without having to use your Visa debit card. Other features include recent transactions, current balance and the ability to make transfers or pay bills.
- $0 monthly account service fee
- Free internet and phone banking
- There is a 3.00% foreign currency conversion fee
- There is a $5 cash withdrawal fee
How do I apply for the St.George Concession Account?
It will first ask you about the following to ensure that you are eligible before proceeding with the application:
Eligibility to apply online
- Minimum age. While there is no minimum age requirement, you must be a holder of a Commonwealth Government Health Concession Card or a Senior’s card to qualify. When applying you will need to present this card to verify your eligibility.
- Residency requirements. Only Australian residents with an Australian residential address are able to qualify for this account.
- Depository requirements. You must make an initial deposit of $1 before the Concession account can be activated.
Documentation for your online application
In addition to bringing your concession card, St.George will also want to see the following documentation before the account can be opened:
- Tax file number. Providing St.George Bank with your tax file number (TFN) is not obligatory, but it will be useful if you also have an interest earning account as it enables the bank to withhold tax on the interest earnings at the correct rate.
- Identification. St.George bank is obligated by law to verify your identity before they can open an account in your name. This can be done using your driver’s licence or passport.
What happens after I've submitted my application?
So long as St.George is able to verify your identity and eligibility for this account, it will be opened for you almost instantly. You will then be issued your linked Visa debit card in order to have complete access to your money.