The Rock Building Society provides financial and insurance services, mainly to the Central Queensland region.
Established in 1967, The Rock Building Society has made a name for itself as a trusted financial institution in the Central Queensland region. It offers a portfolio of home loans, personal loans, bank accounts, term deposits and insurance packages.
The Rock Building Society has rebranded
The Rock Building Society has merged with MyState. The Rock no longer offers mortgages to new customers. The information on this page is no longer up to date. You can check out mortgage offers from MyState here.
Who is The Rock Building Society?
The Rock provides its customers with a large array of home loan options. There are both variable and fixed rate loans packaged with a range of competitive features. If you are a first-time home buyer, looking to do some construction, or in need of a line of credit, The Rock may have a home loan that suits your needs.
Some of these bonuses featured with The Rock’s loans include repayment flexibility, smaller fee structures, redraw facilities, interest-only options and much more. If you are a customer who wants a loan that is customised to your specific needs, The Rock Building Society may have just what you’re looking for.
Home loans offered by The Rock Building Society
Essentials home loan
The Essentials Home Loan package is a variable rate mortgage that can be split up to six times. Repayments can be made weekly, fortnightly or monthly in principal and interest or interest-only forms. Additional repayments are allowed without any penalties attached, and you are provided an online redraw facility to withdraw any extra payments you make. This is handy for those times you find yourself in need of some cash.
There are no ongoing administration fees but there is an application fee. Besides being a great loan for a first-time buyer, the Essentials Home Loan is available for construction if you are building a home.
Fixed home loan
This is a fixed rate home loan that offers a lot of flexibility. You can make repayments in principal and interest or interest-only, and extra repayments are allowed. There is a fee-free online redraw facility and you can make additional payments up to a set limit each year. The loan can be split six times and you can attach a construction facility to it if you are looking to build.
Home to home loan
The Home to Home Loan allows you to buy the home of your dreams before your current one has been sold. The interest rate is the same as The Rock’s other loan products, which is a unique feature because bridging loans are often provided at higher interest rates.
Line of credit
The Line of Credit is a great way for you to access the equity in your home whenever you may need to. This line of credit comes with many bonuses such as offset accounts; access to funds via ATMs, EFTPOS and internet banking; credit facilities; and no set repayment structure.
Rock star package
The Rock Star Package focuses on customisation. You can take advantage of this package at a fixed or variable rate of interest, or use it as a line of credit. If you borrow over a certain amount you will receive an interest-rate discount.
You can make additional repayments whenever you choose, and there are no application or ongoing account-keeping fees. You can have two offset accounts attached to this loan, while a free online redraw facility is also available. There is an annual package fee to take note of though.
Standard variable home loan
The Standard Variable Home Loan focuses on the ability of customers to make extra repayments, and also offers the option to turn it into a fixed rate loan when needed. Repayments can be made on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly schedule, and you can take advantage of the interest-only repayment facility that The Rock offers. You can also attach a construction facility to the loan.
There are up to six offset accounts available to customers, as well as the ability to split the loan several times. The Standard Variable Home Loan also comes with a fee-free online redraw facility.
Super options loan
This loan is designed to provide loans to authorised Australian self-managed super funds. The Rock’s Super Options Loan provides a facility for an SMSF to invest in residential investment property. It has a competitive variable interest rate, as well as a 100% offset account. You can make repayments on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis, and extra repayments are allowed without penalty. Internet and phone banking options are also included with this loan.
Pros and cons
- Extra facilities. The Rock gives its customers the ability to add redraw, construction and interest-only facilities to its loans. This allows borrowers to customise their borrowing experience.
- Line of Credit. If you find yourself wanting to be able to access the equity in your home, the Line of Credit Loan from The Rock may suit. You can access the funds via ATM, EFTPOS, internet banking, phone banking and cheques.
- Competitive rate on bridging loan. The Home to Home Loan is a bridging loan with a competitive rate of interest.
- Lack of online application features. While The Rock does provide its customers with the ability to download an application online, in order to apply for a loan you will need to mail the application in or, at the very least, make an appointment with a mortgage expert.
How to apply for a Rock Building Society home loan
You can find out more about a home loan from The Rock Building Society and learn about how it might benefit you by speaking to a mortgage broker. They'll be able to go through your home loan options with you and help you decide on a loan which will suit your personal situation.
Documents needed to apply for a home loan from The Rock Building Society
The Rock Building Society will require you to provide some identification documents before approving your loan. This is a consumer protection step and is used to prevent fraudulent borrowing. You’ll have to provide 100 points of identification including a driver’s license or passport and supporting documents.
There are some property-related documents that you need to submit to The Rock in order to be approved for a loan.
- Contract of sale. The contract of sale outlines many of the details regarding the sale of the home. This includes the price that is being paid to the seller.
- Certificate of title. The certificate of title shows The Rock that the seller of the property actually owns it and has the right to sell it.
- Transfer of land. This document shows that the land itself will be transferred into your name after the sale.
The Rock will need documentation regarding your financial situation in order to gauge how much of a lending risk you pose. You’ll need to provide:
- Details of your assets. This includes vehicles, real estate, savings and shares.
- Proof of income. This can include recent pay stubs or a letter from your employer verifying your income.
- Details of your expenses and liabilities. Expenses and liabilities include credit card debts, loan debts, child support payments, utility bills and other outstanding bills that you owe.
The Rock offers a number of viable home loan options to prospective borrowers. By taking account of all of the options that face you, and comparing them with the handy tools that finder.com.au provides, you can save a lot of money over the lifetime of your loan. If you ever find yourself unsure of what move to make in regards to a home loan, seek help from your mortgage broker.