Home loans for temporary residents

Rates and Fees verified correct on April 30th, 2017

What’s the easiest path to home ownership for temporary residents in Australia?

Temporary residents

The lucrative investment and living opportunities found in Australia have made it a second home of choice for many expats, temporary residents and foreign nationals. The opportunity for temporary residents to buy a home using a home loan are available, but certain conditions and extra requirements will have to be met first.

Can temporary residents get home loans in Australia?

Temporary residents of Australia who have been issued a 457 visa are able to qualify for a home loan in Australia. You will need to provide proof that you have a steady source of income and in most cases will need to get special permission from the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB).

If those qualifications are met, you will be able to apply for and receive a home loan worth up to 80% of the value of the property. Unfortunately as a temporary resident, you will not be eligible for a First Home Owner’s Grant (FHOG) unless you are purchasing the property jointly with your Australian citizen or permanent resident spouse.

One way to find out what loans may be available to you if you're a temporary resident is through a mortgage broker. You can compare some of Australia's award winning brokers below.

What home loans are available to temporary residents in Australia?

The home loan options being offered to temporary Australian residents are typical mortgage packages that would be available to Australian citizens or permanent residents. The main difference being the cap on the amount you are allowed to borrow and the down payment that is required. Depending on your job circumstances you may be able to qualify for up to 90% of the value of the property. The loan types on offer include:

  • Basic home loan. This features a lower variable interest rate and your choice of 30 year terms or 15 year interest-only payments.
  • Standard variable rate home loan. Features a competitive variable interest rate for your loan and the ability to request to redraw funds from your extra payments.
  • Fixed rate home loan. Allows you to choose terms of one to five years at an interest rate that will not change over the course of the loan.

You can lock in at a low advertised rate and have three months before it can rise. The wide array of options that are available to temporary residents of Australia allows for you to choose the terms that will work best for your budget.

Pros and cons of a temporary resident home loan


  • Same terms. You are offered the same terms and interest rates as Australian citizens and permanent residents. There are no penalties for your temporary resident status such as higher monthly payments on your loan.
  • All features are available. There are features available including offset accounts and the option to delay your mortgage payments under certain circumstances.


  • You must receive approval. You will need to obtain approval from the Australian Foreign Investment Review Board before qualifying for a temporary resident home loan
  • No first home owner grant. You can’t access the FHOG unless your spouse or partner is an Australian citizen or permanent resident

Things to avoid when seeking a home loan as a temporary resident

When preparing to apply for a temporary resident home loan, gather as much information pertaining to your employment as possible. Providing proof that you have been employed with the same company for over two years could allow you to borrow up to 10% more.

In addition to preparing your employment history, have funds set aside for extra costs when you purchase the house. There is no waiving of stamp duty if you are a temporary resident.

Australia promotes growth by offering temporary residents easy options for home ownership. With that in mind know that the process for you should not be overly complicated by your status.

FAQ about getting a home loan as a temporary resident

How much can I borrow?

Your employment history will have a large impact on the amount you can borrow as a temporary resident of Australia. Generally you’ll be able to borrow up to 80% of the value of the property, but if you have a professional job and have held that same position for two or more years, you might be able to have that raised to 90% of the home’s value.

Does being married to an Australian citizen make a difference?

If you are married to a citizen or permanent resident of Australia you might be able to qualify for up to 95% of the value of the home.

Will my interest rate be higher?

Interest rates offered to temporary visa holders are generally at the same rate as those for citizens and permanent residents.

Back to top

Marc Terrano

A passionate publisher who loves to tell a story. Learning and teaching personal finance is his main lot at finder.com.au. Talk to him to find out more about home loans.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

HSBC Home Value Loan - Resident Owner Occupier only

Enjoy the low variable rate with $0 ongoing fee and borrow up to 90% LVR.

NAB Choice Package Home Loan - 2 Year Fixed (Owner Occupier)

A fixed rate package loan with flexible repayments options. NAB Rewards Points offer available, terms and conditions apply.

IMB Budget Home Loan - LVR <=90% (Owner Occupier)

A competitive budget rate without any unwanted bells and whistles.

Greater Bank Ultimate Home Loan - Discounted 1 Year Fixed LVR ≤85% ($150K+ Owner Occupier)

Discount off an already competitive interest rate for loans over $150k. NSW, QLD and ACT residents only.

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At finder.com.au we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the finder.com.au privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to finder.com.au and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

2 Responses to Home loans for temporary residents

  1. Default Gravatar
    Whatters | October 18, 2015

    Hi I have found a house and require $897000 as a home loan of the $1020000 purchase price (12% deposit). I can afford to pay LMI and my full $86700 stamp duty fee too. I also have FIRB approval.
    Thanks Whatters

    • Staff
      Marc | October 19, 2015

      Hi Whatters,
      thanks for the question.

      You might want to compare home loans or speak to a mortgage broker to see which loan options may be available to you.


Ask a question