With three levels of cover to choose from, National Seniors make home insurance easy for over 50s.
National Seniors Insurance is a service of the National Seniors Australia non-profit organisation and is focused on insurance for over 50s. The three levels of home insurance available through National Seniors Insurance are Prestige, Classic and Vital, and the information below will help you find the right balance of cost and cover.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the National Seniors website or compare a bunch of other home insurance companies with finder.
What type of cover does National Seniors offer?
- Prestige: Wide-ranging cover for a variety of accidental events, with a range of miscellaneous additional benefits.
- Classic: A balance of cost and cover for a range of insured events, plus other benefits.
- Vital: Essential-level of cover for a range of insured events, with some additional benefits.
All cover levels have discounts available, such as up to 10% off premiums for buying online, and up to 30% off in the form of a no-claims bonus. The following is only a summary of the cover available. We recommend that you read the product disclosure statement (PDS) to get more details..
|Accidental glass breakage|
|Open-air contents cover|
|Safe deposit box contents cover|
|Identity theft cover|
|Fusion of motors cover|
|Cover for guest, visitor and domestic helper property|
|Legal liability cover|
|Home modifications for paraplegia or quadriplegia|
|Lock and cylinder replacement|
|Security firm attendance|
|Spoilage of perishable foods|
|Temporarily removed property cover|
What kind of exclusions are there?
The exclusions are situations where a policy will not pay out. All insurance policies will carry their own exclusions, and they vary depending on which cover level you choose. Some of the common exclusions you’ll find with these cover types, and many others are:
- No cover for lawful seizure of property, such as repossession by a finance company
- No cover for damage caused by acts of war or terrorism
- No cover for damage caused by nuclear materials
- No cover for damage caused by property deterioration, shoddy workmanship or faulty repairs
You are also generally required to take suitable precautions, and follow relevant terms and conditions associated with insured items in order to make claims. For example, if your credit card is stolen and used, then you won’t be able to claim for the resulting loss if it’s shown that you gave your personal identification number (PIN) to someone. Specific exclusions can also apply to certain types of claim. For example, you cannot make a claim under your contents cover for damage or loss of a bicycle while it’s in use, or for damage to electronic equipment resulting from computer viruses.
What's the excess like?
The excess is an amount that needs to be paid when you make a claim. Generally, there are two types of excess that may apply:
- Standard excess: This will apply to most claims. You may be able to select a higher excess if you want to pay a lower premium, or a lower excess for a higher premium.
- Special excess: This will apply to specific types of claims, or in certain situations. For example, if you have claimed for damage resulting from an earthquake, but then you need to claim for damage caused by a second earthquake within 48 hours, an excess of $250, or another amount, might be charged on top of the standard excess.
Who is eligible for cover?
National Seniors Insurance is for people:
- Over the age of 50
- A partner or spouse of someone in the 50+ age bracket
- Someone connected to, or otherwise focused on senior issues
How do I make a claim?
The most efficient way to make claims is via the online form. This method is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It generally takes about 10 minutes to submit a claims form, and you can expect to hear back regarding your claim within 4 business days. If you have an issue that requires immediate attention, such as malicious property damage or theft, note this in your online claim and it will be addressed within 48 hours. For more information, or to discuss your insurance and claims, you can call National Seniors Insurance on 1300 50 50 99.