- Apia landlord insurance's 15% online discount is among the joint best offers we looked at, similar to Virgin, Budget Direct and Domain.
- It's good for those who don't work full-time. If you work less than 37 hours a week, you can get access to the Work Less Pay Less discount.
- You can pay monthly at no extra cost – lots of other landlord insurers don't do this.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Apia website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.Compare landlord insurance fast
What does APIA landlord insurance cover?
- Building Only Insurance. When a policy mentions your home or a building, this includes pipes, cables, ducting, wires, switches, meters, fixed appliances, carports, patios, paved paths, driveways and other permanent fixtures (pools, spas, etc).
- Contents Only Insurance. Referring to property owned by you as the landlord or for which you are responsible, this includes carpets, curtains, blinds, furniture, furnishings, non-permanent light fittings, removable domestic appliances, utensils, swimming pools and their accessories.
- Combined Home & Contents Insurance. You can combine both policies for complete protection of your home and its contents.
Here's some of the main insured events it can cover you for:
APIA landlord insurance features
APIA landlord insurance comes with a long list of inclusions it can cover you for when you make a claim for an insured event. These include:
- Loss of rent following an insured event
- Removal of debris
- Other repair/rebuilding costs (property cover only)
- Environmental improvements (property cover only)
- Damage to gardens and plants (property cover only)
- Storage of undamaged contents (contents cover only)
- Accidental breakage of glass
- Legal costs to recover unpaid rent
- Loss of rent - prevention of access
- Lock replacement (after theft of keys)
- Kitchen appliance heat (property cover only)
- Damage caused by emergency services (property cover only)
APIA doesn't offer many landlord add-ons compared to several other insurers. Some of its add-ons include:
- Loss of rent by tenant default. If your tenant stops paying rent or permanently leaves without notice, you will be covered for a period of 14 weeks
- Loss of rent by prevention of access
- Legal costs to recover unpaid rent
APIA's general exclusions are similar to most other insurers. You won't be covered for:
- Actions of the sea
- Aircraft shock waves
- Biological, chemical, other pollutant or contaminants
- Building extensions, alterations or renovations
- Chips and scratches
- Computer virus or hacking
- Confiscation of damage by a legal authority
- Consequential losses or extra costs following an incident
- Defect, structural fault or design fault
- Deliberate or reckless acts or omissions
- Failing to take care or secure your home and contents
- Wear, tear, mould and gradual deterioration
This isn't an extensive list of APIA's general exclusions. You can find the full list on its PDS.
APIA landlord insurance complaints
We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July to December 2020. The data explores different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.
When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers so can potentially get more complaints.
Here's an overview of how APIA (which is underwritten by AAI) did. It includes other brands underwritten by AAI so keep in mind that the total number of complaints is not necessarily all for APIA:
- AAI is a very large provider so is likely to get more complaints than others; however, it received more complaints compared to other similar sized insurers, suggesting it's not good at providing a quality service.
- Out of the 673 complaints it received, 544 were escalated, meaning they could not be resolved internally.
Bottom line about APIA landlord insurance
APIA landlord insurance is good if you want a good discount, work less than 37 hours a week or want lots of features automatically included in your policy. However, its underwriter AAI did receive a high percentage of complaints in the period we looked at.
If you're not yet ready to take out a landlord insurance policy, you can compare others side-by-side here.
FAQs about APIA landlord insurance
APIA landlord insurance reviews
If you've held or currently hold an APIA landlord insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if APIA is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.