Apia Landlord Insurance

Apia landlord insurance is good if you don’t work full-time and want to pay monthly at no extra cost.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Our Verdict

  1. Apia landlord insurance's 15% online discount is among the joint best offers we looked at, similar to Virgin, Budget Direct and Domain.
  2. It's good for those who don't work full-time. If you work less than 37 hours a week, you can get access to the Work Less Pay Less discount.
  3. You can pay monthly at no extra cost — lots of other landlord insurers don't do this.

Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter

warningSome landlord insurance policies have temporarily removed benefits such as rent default and a few others because of the pandemic. Make sure to check this with the insurer before deciding on a policy.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Apia website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.
Compare landlord insurance fast

What cover options do they have?

  • Building Only Insurance. When a policy mentions your home or a building, this includes pipes, cables, ducting, wires, switches, meters, fixed appliances, carports, patios, paved paths, driveways and other permanent fixtures (pools, spas, etc).
  • Contents Only Insurance. Referring to property owned by you as the landlord or for which you are responsible, this includes carpets, curtains, blinds, furniture, furnishings, non-permanent light fittings, removable domestic appliances, utensils, swimming pools and their accessories.
  • Combined Home & Contents Insurance. You can combine both policies for complete protection of your home and its contents.

How does each cover type compare?

Retaining walls, sea walls, garden borders and free-standing outdoor walls
Cost of cleaning mud and debris out of tanks, swimming pools or spas, and replacing or storing the water
Power failures or surges by your power provider
Arcing, scorching or cigarette burns unless fire extends from the burn
Earthquake and tsunami
Any loss or damage that occurs more than 72 hours after the earthquake or tsunami
Theft or burglary
Only one claim can be accepted against loss or damage by the same tenant
Accidental breakage of glass
Chips, scratches and damage that does not extend through the entire thickness of the glass
Escape of liquid
Wear and tear, loss or damage from escape of liquid over a period of time which could have reasonably been prevented
Cost of removing or lopping fallen trees or branches that haven’t caused damage
Damage by an animal
Damage or loss from insects, vermin or rodents
Cost of repairing or replacing tank or container that exploded
Riot, civil commotion or public disturbance
Loss or damage caused by yourself, someone on your behalf, or by someone living at the address
Malicious acts and vandalism
Only one claim can be accepted against loss or damage by the same tenant
Loss of rent
Cover applies only if you intend to make repairs and make habitable again, or if the tenant still has an obligation to pay rent, or someone moves in again
Removal of debris
Cost of removing stumps and roots, or removal of any debris that have not caused any damage
Other repairs and rebuilding costs
Upgrading undamaged, altered or original parts of your property to comply with building regulations
Environmental improvements
Any amount covered under Other repairs and rebuilding costs
Damage to gardens and plants
Lawns, grass or pot plants
Storage of undamaged contents
Contents outside of Australia or storage costs once address is deemed suitable to house contents
Legal liability

What additional cover options are there?

  • Loss of rent by tenant default. If your tenant stops paying rent or permanently leaves without notice, you will be covered for a period of 14 weeks
  • Loss of rent by prevention of access
  • Legal costs to recover unpaid rent

Do I have legal liability?

Yes. All policies have a limit of $20 million from any legal claims and costs, and extends to your building if you are required to pay compensation for death or injury on your property, and landlord contents that cause death or injury.

What excess do I need to pay?

If the worst should happen and you need to make a claim, you will often be required to pay an excess (unless otherwise outlined in your policy) for each claim you make. For example, if a fire damaged your house you would need to claim for the damage and pay an excess. If the house was unusable, you could claim for loss of rent, which would require an additional excess. Your excess amount for each claim will depend on your level of cover and the sum you are claiming.

How do I make a claim?

In the event of an incident involving loss, damage or injury, take all reasonable measures to reduce or prevent further incidents, and contact any required emergency services on 000.

Collect any releventant information, including reports and other documentation, and contact Apia online at www.apia.com.au/claims or over the phone on 13 50 50.

Alternatively, you can visit your local branch to speak with a consultant.

More guides on Finder

Go to site