- Good for Australians wanting to support a locally-owned, not-for-profit fund.
- Good for supporting members – you get access to health and wellbeing programs.
- A handful insurers, including HBF and Peoplecare, had a better complaints record in 2022.
Best Health Insurance - Core Extras
Westfund's Starter Extras option is the winner of the 2024 Core Extras category. To get our final extras insurance scores, we added together the price and features scores and weighted them 50:50. Westfund's Starter Extras came out on top.
Full list of 2024 winners
Best Health Insurance - Comprehensive extras Finalist
The third highest ranking policy in the comprehensive extras category, Westfund's High Extras policy is designed for mature singles and couples. The policy provides generous per-person limits on optical, dental, physiotherapy, chiro, and a range of other therapies.
Full list of 2024 winners
Westfund health insurance: Our verdict
Westfund Health is the only health fund exclusively serving the Australian nursing and midwifery community. It offers a suite of hospital and extras covers that can be selected individually or combined into a package to provide cover that suits your unique needs.
Westfund is good if:
You're living in Australia from overseas and you want hospital cover.
- You want a not-for-profit health fund.
- You want to go with not-for-profit health fund – profits go back to its members.
Westfund is not great if:
- You aren't interested in going with a not-for-profit.
Review by our insurance and innovations editor Gary Ross Hunter
- Gold Hospital. This is the most comprehensive hospital cover, offering cover for all 38 gold clinical categories.
- Silver Plus Assure Hospital. High-level hospital cover suitable for older adults that includes cataracts, joint replacements and sleep studies. It excluded pregnancy and birth cover.
- Silver Hospital. A broad range of treatments including heart and vascular system but without pregnancy and birth or joint replacements.
- Bronze Hospital. Entry-level private hospital cover for the budget conscious. Most suited to young singles and couples, it covers basics like joint reconstructions, dental surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunotherapy for cancer.
- Basic Hospital. This covers you for treatment as a private patient in a public hospital. It also included ambulance cover.
We looked at the 2022 Ombudsman health insurance complaints. Here's how Westfund stacked up:
- It received more complaints (1.0%) than its overall market share (0.9%). Several other funds including Phoenix, HBF and Peoplecare did better.
This chart shows the weighted volume of complaints received by each health fund, according to the Commonwealth Ombudsman. The lower the number, the better. Only non-restricted funds with a national market share of at least 0.1% are included here. Westfund is eleventh overall in this ranking. The weighting ensures that funds are compared fairly; larger funds serve more customers so can potentially get more complaints.
Our health insurance engine is completely free to use. You pay the same as buying directly from the health insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and you can compare nearly every health fund in Australia on the site (and find a better deal).
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 350,000+ people find health insurance by explaining your options simply. We'll never ask for your number or email to see prices. We're here to help you make a decision.