onemedifund Health Insurance Review
onemedifund is a small private health insurer that offers only the highest levels of cover combined with personalised customer service.
Onemedifund makes your choice easy. You can either choose the highest level of hospital cover with no excess or the highest level of cover with a very small excess. Their two extras policies are equally strong, covering between 75-100% of the cost of many treatments.
Top 3 features
- Good for older people and families who want the highest levels of cover combined with the personalised customer service of a small insurer.
- Good for people who want access to wellness programs that help them track and improve their health.
- Beware if you like choice or want lower levels of cover to choose from.
Who is onemedifund?
onemedifund is a relatively new insurer established in 2007. It currently covers more than 15,000 and has paid out more than $150 million in benefits. They pride themselves on service, boasting that all customer phone calls will be answered by a person and not a keypad menu.
What health insurance options are available?
- Gold Hospital - $250 Excess & Comprehensive Extras. This package provides comprehensive cover for both hospital and extras services. It comes with a $250 excess or $500 for families, covering you for all 38 clinical categories required for a gold level rating, as well as extras services including all the essentials plus home nursing, speech therapy and more.
onemedifund also offers several programs to support your ongoing wellness. Here are a few:
- My Health Online. This online wellness portal provides members with an extensive selection of health tools to help them improve their wellbeing.
- My Health Risk Assessment. You can use this online tool to create a personalised health report and learn what you can do to improve your overall health.
- My Hospital @ Home. This program allows you to check out of hospital earlier by offering the treatment you need in the comfort and privacy of your home.
- Strive for Health. This program provides telephone and face-to-face support to help members manage chronic health conditions.
- Healthy Weight for Life program. This member's benefit can assist with heart disease, diabetes and osteoarthritis management with health plans to help you manage your overall health and quality of life. It can assist you with weight loss, strength exercises and education to improve your health.
Other benefits include:
- Higher extras limits for members with five or more years of continuous cover
- Claims are paid within two days
- onemedifund service reps will answer your call in person without keypad menus
- You can save on out-of-pocket hospital costs with onemedifund's Access Gap scheme
How to make a claim
When it comes to medical claims, most doctors will usually bill your health fund directly. If this doesn't happen you can use electronic claiming through the government's ECLIPSE system or submit a claim form via email or post.
You can make many of your extras claims automatically by swiping your onemedifund membership card with your treatment provider. Where electronic claiming is not available you can lodge your claim online, or fill out and submit a claim form (along with your receipts) by post or email.
Read more on this topic
Online hearing tests Free and easy to use, online hearing tests only take a few minutes.
Compare online pharmacy services Online pharmacies work like any other online shop. Compare your options today.
Compare online doctor and GP services An online doctor is just like any other GP – except the appointment usually takes place via video call rather than face-to-face.
Health funds freeze prices in fight to keep customers Major insurers are postponing the planned price hike. Here's why you should care.
How much does dental really cost? SPONSORED: Find out how much you should be paying for these 5 common dental procedures
Complaints drop following health insurance overhaul Ombudsman says the new tier system could be to thank for positive change.
Health insurance premium rates are rising in Australia Get the lowdown on what's happening, so you can get a better deal on your health insurance.
Medical costs comparison Doing a medical costs comparison could save you a lot of money. Here's how to reduce your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert