Onemedifund makes your choice easy. You can either choose the highest level of hospital cover with no excess or the highest level of cover with a very small excess. Their two extras policies are equally strong, covering between 75-100% of the cost of many treatments.
Top 3 features
- Good for older people and families who want the highest levels of cover combined with the personalised customer service of a small insurer.
- Good for people who want access to wellness programs that help them track and improve their health.
- Beware if you like choice or want lower levels of cover to choose from.
Who is onemedifund?
onemedifund is a relatively new insurer established in 2007. It currently covers more than 15,000 and has paid out more than $150 million in benefits. They pride themselves on service, boasting that all customer phone calls will be answered by a person and not a keypad menu.
What health insurance options are available?
- Gold Hospital no excess. Covers all 38 clinical categories required for a Gold label including heart treatments, diabetes management including insulin pumps, pregnancy, assisted reproductive surgery, brain and nervous system treatment and more. It also covers emergency ambulance rides including air, land and sea journeys within Australia. Like the name says, there is no excess.
- Gold Hospital $250/$500 excess. This is exactly the same as above, but it has an excess that varies based on the circumstances: $125 for day hospital or public hospital admission and $250 for overnight admission in a private hospital. The maximum yearly excess is $250 per person and $500 for families.
- Economy Extras. Covers basic treatments like general dental, optical, physio, pharmaceuticals, and chiro - with most treatments attracting a 75% rebate.
- Extras. Covers a wide range of basic and more complex treatments including everything the Economy Extras policy covers plus major dental, laser eye surgery, psychology, a range of therapies and hearing aids. It covers 80-100% of the costs of many treatments.
onemedifund also offers several programs to support your ongoing wellness. Here are a few:
- My Health Online. This online wellness portal provides members with an extensive selection of health tools to help them improve their wellbeing.
- My Health Risk Assessment. You can use this online tool to create a personalised health report and learn what you can do to improve your overall health.
- My Hospital @ Home. This program allows you to check out of hospital earlier by offering the treatment you need in the comfort and privacy of your home.
- Strive for Health. This program provides telephone and face-to-face support to help members manage chronic health conditions.
Other benefits include:
- Higher extras limits for members with five or more years of continuous cover
- Claims are paid within two days
- onemedifund service reps will answer your call in person without keypad menus
- You can save on out-of-pocket hospital costs with onemedifund's Access Gap scheme
How to make a claim
When it comes to medical claims, most doctors will usually bill your health fund directly. If this doesn't happen you can use electronic claiming through the government's ECLIPSE system or submit a claim form via email or post.
You can make many of your extras claims automatically by swiping your onemedifund membership card with your treatment provider. Where electronic claiming is not available you can lodge your claim online, or fill out and submit a claim form (along with your receipts) by post or email.