Queensland has three predominant electricity providers Origin, AGL, and Ergon Energy with few options for sustainable providers.
Queensland has many choices for electricity and gas providers, 14 electric and 4 gas, but they are limited in their choice for ‘green’ ones. The state offers a rebate on residents’ electricity and gas if they hold a Centrelink concession, veterans, or seniors card.
What is an electricity and gas provider/retailer?
Energy retailers — those that sell either electricity or gas, or both — purchase energy from energy producers. They then deliver the energy using pre-existing grids and pipelines, which don’t belong to them but to the distributors. Energy retailers will then calculate the costs of generating the energy, transporting it, upkeeping that infrastructure, include overheads, and then charge the customer for the product.
Search and compare energy suppliers in Queensland
How can an energy consultant help me find the right plan in QLD?
An energy consultant can help you decide which retailer can service your needs the best. They can compare your energy use, your location, and various retailers to pair your house or business with the ideal retailer and plan.
How are energy consultants paid?
Energy consultants, also known as energy brokers, get commission through finding an energy retailer for either residence or business. Energy brokers can get paid through either or both of these methods, either i) Taking a fee from the energy retailer for securing a customer, and/or ii) Adding an often undisclosed overhead to the client’s bill.
What are the pros and cons of using an energy consultant?
Energy consultants can save you the hassle of going through and comparing all of the energy providers and plans yourself. Though the obvious con is that they can identify the cheapest available plan before adding an unseen overhead on top.Back to top
What areas of QLD have access to electricity and gas providers?
Below is Queensland’s electricity distribution map of Ergon Energy and ENERGEX; Essential Energy distributes to the south east of Queensland. (Image from Energy Watch).
Below is QLD’s distribution map for gas, which areas are serviced by which distributors. (Image from the APA Group).
What retailers provide energy to Queensland?
Three electricity distributors cover Queensland: ENERGEX, Ergon Energy, and Essential Energy. Their power is then sold-on by around a dozen different retailers:
- Diamond Energy — One of the country’s leaders in supplying green power from solar fields, bioenergy, and wind. Diamond Energy are also completely GreenPower accredited. To find out if Diamond Energy can service your location, you can visit their website which can inform you. More information.
- Red Energy — Offer competitive prices with two different plans with different benefits, including discounts and rewards. Exit fees apply. More information.
- Click Energy — Completely online energy retailer. They offer great customer service as well as benefits to customers with solar panels. Click Energy don’t offer plans, but tailored deals for each customer. More information.
- Lumo Energy — Lumo Energy offer many diverse packages with unique benefits. They too offer benefits for customers with solar panels. Offer bundle packages with electricity and gas for customers in QLD. More information.
- Dodo Power & Gas — Dodo Power & Gas don’t offer individual plans, but rather tailored options to individual customers. More information.
- AGL — AGL is one of the largest energy retailers, they too offer both gas and electricity bundles, helping you to keep your various bills consolidated. They also offer a variety plans to suit your needs. More information.
- Powerdirect — Powerdirect provide electricity for both home and business. They offer various plans for customers in QLD. They provide rates for customers to feed-in their excess solar power. More information.
- Origin Energy — Origin, along with EnergyAustralia and AGL, is one of the largest energy retailers in the country. Customers in QLD are offered 4 different plans with Origin. There are many savings and rewards to be had with Origin’s plans. More information.
- EnergyAustralia — QLD EnergyAustralia customers have access to two plans with contrasting benefits. More information.
- Simply Energy — Simply Energy offer a range of products and will help you purchase and install solar power. More information.
- QEnergy — Providing energy to small and medium businesses as well as homes, QEnergy have experience in providing for a diversity of situations. Some of their packages also offer discounts at certain retailers. More information.
- Sanctuary Energy — Sanctuary Energy prioritise investment in renewables. Sanctuary provide a limited range of plans, customise them to your location and energy usage. More information.
Five groups distribute gas in Queensland: APT Allgas, Australian Gas Networks Limited, Maranoa Regional Council, Western Downs Regional Council. There are three different gas retailers to choose from for most of Queensland and two niche providers:
- AGL — AGL offer three different plans for gas that vary in their available discounts. For more information, click here.
- Maranoa Regional Council — Maranoa Regional Council distributes and retails gas to the residents of the South West region of Roma.
- Origin Energy — For gas supply, Origin offers three packages: eSaver, DailySaver, and Origin Supply. Origin offers LPG gas delivery, too. They offer bundled packages for signing up for both electricity and gas with Origin. For more information on their gas plans, click here.
- Western Downs Regional Council — Western Downs Regional Council is the gas retailer and distributor within Dalby town boundary.
In summary, Queensland has many providers to choose from, but few that offer environmental sustainable energy solutions.