Commonwealth Bank term deposit
A fixed rate term deposit that allows you to see exactly how much you will earn and when that money will be available.
With a minimum of $5,000 and a fixed interest rate scaled to its maturity date, you can make a savings plan that helps you achieve your financial goals. This is a fee free term deposit that locks your money away, helping you to resist the urge to spend your savings.
Up to 0.35% p.a.
12 months interest rate
Minimum opening deposit
Account keeping fee
|Product Name||Commonwealth Bank Term Deposit|
|3 month interest rate||0.08%|
|4 month interest rate||0.10%|
|6 month interest rate||0.10%|
|7 month interest rate||0.10%|
|9 month interest rate||0.15%|
|12 month interest rate||0.35%|
|24 month interest rate||0.25%|
|36 month interest rate||0.25%|
|48 month interest rate||0.25%|
|60 month interest rate||0.25%|
|Minimum Opening Deposit||$5,000|
|Minimum Age Requirement||18|
|The rates displayed above are interest rates paid at maturity only. We endeavour to ensure that the information on this site is current and accurate but you should confirm any information with the product or service provider and read the information they can provide.|
SPECIAL OFFER: 0.35% p.a. fixed rate term deposit for 12 months
This special 12-month term deposit rate is available from 26 February 2021 for a limited time, for balances between $5,000 and $1,999,999, with interest paid at maturity. Full terms and conditions available on the Commonwealth Bank website.
No monthly fees
You will not be charged any set up costs or monthly fees by CommBank for their term deposit.
Fixed interest rates
The interest rates for the term deposit are fixed and tiered, with higher terms yielding you a better return on your investment.
A range of term lengths to choose from
The terms you can choose from range from one month to five years.
How is the interest calculated and paid?
The interest on the balance is calculated daily and will either be paid into the account once a year or when the term reaches maturity.
Minimum investment required
You are required to make a minimum investment of at least $5,000 but it may not exceed $2 million.
31-day notice required for early withdrawal
If you need to end your terms early, you must give CommBank at least 31 days notice of your intent. This will result in an adjustment of the interest to match the new terms, along with an administration fee.
Choice to renew the term
You are given seven days after the account reaches maturity to either withdraw the money or reinvest it into a new term deposit. If you do decide to withdraw, no interest will be accrued during that seven day period.
Online banking (NetBank)
With CommBank's NetBank you can view the progress of your term deposit online and let the bank know what you would like to do once the account has reached the end of its terms.
Alert options and services
You will be alerted for free with an SMS text, email or NetBank notification when your term deposit hits maturity.
How to apply
If the terms of Commonwealth Bank's term deposit suit your financial needs you can begin your application online.
There are some eligibility requirements you will need to meet before the bank will consider an online application:
- Minimum age. If applying online you must be at least 18 years old. Younger individuals who wish to open a term deposit will need to visit a Commonwealth Bank branch.
- Residency requirements. You will need to be able to provide proof that you are currently residing in Australia.
- Depository requirements. A minimum deposit of $5,000 is required to open a term deposit account.
In addition, the application will require information from the following documentation before it can be opened:
- Tax file number. Your tax file number (TFN) or TFN exemption is not compulsory, but if you do not provide it, CommBank is obligated to deduct tax from the interest earned at the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. If the bank is unable to confirm your identity online using your passport, driver's licence or Medicare card you will have to complete the identity verification in person at a branch.
- Account number. When applying online you will need to be able to provide an existing CommBank account number or other personal banking account. This account will be used to transfer the deposit needed to open the account as well as receive interest payments if you choose to have those paid out.
What happens after I submit my application?
After submitting your application CommBank will make the necessary withdrawal from your nominated account into your new term deposit, where those funds will begin earning interest.
Am I penalised if I access my term deposit before it matures?
If your funds are only invested for a portion of the agreed term, the interest rate to date will be adjusted by a certain percentage. Please refer to the table below.
|Percentage of time elapsed in your term deposit||Adjustment to be applied as a % of your interest rate|
|0- less than 20%||90%|
|20 to less than 40%||80%|
|40 to less than 60%||60%|
|60 to less than 80%||40%|
|80 to less than 100%||20%|
For example, for half of the agreed term (50%) then the interest rate will be adjusted by 60%. Hypothetically, if your interest rate was 4%, (4% p.a. x 60%) = 1.60% p.a.