With a minimum of $5,000 and a fixed interest rate scaled to its maturity date, you can make a savings plan that helps you achieve your financial goals. This is a fee free term deposit that locks your money away, helping you to resist the urge to spend your savings.
With Netbank you can keep track of your term deposit and all your other CommBank products.
SPECIAL OFFER: 1.50% p.a. fixed rate term deposit for 8 months
This special 8-month term deposit rate is available from 23 December 2019 for a limited time, for balances between $5,000 and $1,999,999, with selected interest payment options. Full terms and conditions available on the Commonwealth Bank website.
What are the features of the Commonwealth Bank Term Deposit?
Compare the features you get with Commonwealth Bank’s term deposit with those of other Australian financial institutions before making a final choice on how you will invest your excess funds.
No monthly fees
You will not be charged any set up costs or monthly fees by CommBank for their term deposit.
Fixed interest rates
The interest rates for the term deposit are fixed and tiered, with higher terms yielding you a better return on your investment.
A range of term lengths to choose from
The terms you can choose from range from one month to five years.
How is the interest calculated and paid?
The interest on the balance is calculated daily and will either be paid into the account once a year or when the term reaches maturity.
Minimum investment required
You are required to make a minimum investment of at least $5,000 but it may not exceed $2 million.
31-day notice required for early withdrawal
If you need to end your terms early, you must give CommBank at least 31 days notice of your intent. This will result in an adjustment of the interest to match the new terms, along with an administration fee.
Choice to renew the term
You are given seven days after the account reaches maturity to either withdraw the money or reinvest it into a new term deposit. If you do decide to withdraw, no interest will be accrued during that seven day period.
Online banking (NetBank)
With CommBank’s NetBank you can view the progress of your term deposit online and let the bank know what you would like to do once the account has reached the end of its terms.
Alert options and services
You will be alerted for free with an SMS text, email or NetBank notification when your term deposit hits maturity.
- $0 Account keeping fees
- Wide ranges of terms from from 1 month to 5 years
- 31 days advance notice required in case of withdrawing funds before maturity
- Minimum investment of $5,000
How do I apply for the Commonwealth Bank Term Deposit online?
If the terms of Commonwealth Bank’s term deposit suit your financial needs you can begin your application online.
Eligibility to apply online
There are some eligibility requirements you will need to meet before the bank will consider an online application:
- Minimum age. If applying online you must be at least 18 years old. Younger individuals who wish to open a term deposit will need to visit a Commonwealth Bank branch.
- Residency requirements. You will need to be able to provide proof that you are currently residing in Australia.
- Depository requirements. A minimum deposit of $5,000 is required to open a term deposit account.
Documentation for your online application
In addition, the application will require information from the following documentation before it can be opened:
- Tax file number. Your tax file number (TFN) or TFN exemption is not compulsory, but if you do not provide it, CommBank is obligated to deduct tax from the interest earned at the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. If the bank is unable to confirm your identity online using your passport, driver’s licence or Medicare card you will have to complete the identity verification in person at a branch.
- Account number. When applying online you will need to be able to provide an existing CommBank account number or other personal banking account. This account will be used to transfer the deposit needed to open the account as well as receive interest payments if you choose to have those paid out.
What happens after I've submitted my application online?
After submitting your application CommBank will make the necessary withdrawal from your nominated account into your new term deposit, where those funds will begin earning interest.