With the Commonwealth Bank’s Smart Access everyday you can withdraw money through one of the most extensive ATM networks in Australia. It comes with a linked debit Mastercard giving you the convenience of shopping in-store, online and over the phone.
You can use Tap & Pay to make contactless purchases with your compatible Android phone or purchase the PayTag for your Apple phone.
What are the features of the Commonwealth Bank Smart Access account?
The Commonwealth Bank Smart Access transaction account gives you a number of features to consider when comparing this account against other everyday accounts offered by Australian banks:
$0 Monthly fees when you deposit $2000 per month (other eligibility criteria can also apply)
You are charged a $4 monthly maintenance fee with this account. That fee is waived each month you are able to make a total of $2000 in deposits. For individuals aged 21 to 24, you only need to deposit $1,000 to have the fee waived. For those under 21 or on Student Options that fee is also waived.
Linked Debit Mastercard
The account is linked to a debit Mastercard which can be used to make withdrawals and purchases using the balance in your account.
Access to Australia's largest ATM network
Make withdrawals from over 4,000 CommBank or Bankwest ATMs across Australia without incurring any fees. Commbank has 950 branches across Australia.
No card? No worries
Commonwealth Bank’s app features Cardless Cash which allows you to make withdrawals from an ATM without having to use your debit Mastercard. There is a daily limit of $200 when you use this feature.
Withdrawing money overseas
Withdrawals made overseas at a Cirrus or Mastercard ATM will incur a $5 charge per transaction plus 3.00% of the transaction value.
Note that the owner of the ATM may also charge an additional fee.
Using your debit card
You can make EFTPOS purchases with the debit Mastercard or use it to pay for items online or over the phone.
Contactless payments using Tap and Pay
Tap and Pay allows you to make purchases of $100 or less at a Mastercard PayPass terminal without having to swipe your card or sign the receipt. You will need to have the CommBank app downloaded onto your iPhone or Android mobile device in order to take advantage of this feature.
You will also need to purchase a PayTag to place on your iPhone.
Pay friends and bills
The CommBank app also allows you to send money to friends and family using their mobile number, email, Facebook or bank account number. You can use online banking to make payments through BPAY.
International money transfers
You are allowed to use this account to make overseas money transfers. Click on this link to find out more.
Only available for personal accounts
The Smart Access is available for individual use only and cannot be opened for a company, business or trust.
Online banking through NetBank
Take advantage of one of the most advanced online banking platforms in Australia. NetBank lets you do all your banking online including playing bills, transferring money to friends and seeing the latest offers that apply to you.
Unlimited electronic transactions
You can electronically transfer money to loved ones and pay bills using BPAY.
$0 Optional personal overdraft
There is a $0 overdraft establishment fee if you choose to attach an overdraft to your account. You can also compare other CommBank products here.
- Unlimited transactions online
- Account keeping fee can be waived if $2000 is deposited in this account monthly
- Access to 4,000+ ATMs and 950 branches
- Access to CommBank app and NetBank
- Withdraw cash without your debit card with Cardless Cash
- Tap and Pay on Android and iPhone (with PayTag)
- Overseas ATM fees may apply
- There is a 3% foreign currency transaction fee
How do I apply for the Commonwealth Bank Smart Access account online?
If you find that the features of the Smart Access account provide you with all that you need to conduct your daily financial transactions, you can apply online.
Eligibility to apply online
Before proceeding, check that you are able to meet the eligibility requirements for this account:
- Minimum age. This account is available for individuals aged 21 and over.
- Residency requirements. You must have a valid Australian residential address. If you are moving to Australia or just recently arrived you can contact Commonwealth Bank to begin your application.
- Depository requirements. You are not asked to make an initial deposit, but in order to avoid the monthly fee you will need to meet the monthly deposit requirements.
Documentation for your online application
Once you have confirmed that you are eligible for this account, gather the following documentation before beginning to fill out your application to help ensure that all of the information you provide is accurate:
- Tax file number. Providing your tax file number (TFN) or applicable exemption code is not mandatory, but it does assist in ensuring that the correct withholding tax is applied on interest earning accounts.
- Identification. If you are new to CommBank, they will attempt to verify your identity online using your driver’s licence or passport. If not, you will need to visit a branch in order to have your identity verified before the account can be activated.
What happens after I've submitted the application online?
For existing CommBank customers who have access to their accounts online, the account will be opened instantly. If you are not already a customer, your details will first be confirmed before the information about your account is sent to you. At that time your debit Mastercard will be sent to the address you provided via Australian post.