The Bendigo Bank Student Account is an everyday transaction account for full time students, apprentices or trainees. This account provides easy access to your balance, and charges no account keeping fees, no ATM fees, and offers unlimited free EFTPOS transactions within Australia.
Enjoy no monthly account fees and earn 0.20% interest on balances over $5000.
What are the features of the Bendigo Bank Student Account?
Compare the following features of this account with similar products in the market before deciding if this account is right for you.
Designed for students
The Bendigo Bank Student Account is only available to full time students, apprentices or trainees aged 12 or older. Bendigo Bank does require that you provide proof of ongoing enrollment by the 14th of April each year in order to keep the account active.
No monthly account keeping fee
You will not be charged any monthly fees for this account, so each dollar you deposit is yours to keep.
Unlimited free transactions
With the Student Account you are able to make unlimited transactions online and over the phone, including BPAY and Pay Anyone, for free. You are also issued a debit card that allows you to make unlimited free ATM and branch withdrawals along with EFTPOS purchases and withdrawals.
Linked Debit Mastercard
This account comes with a free linked Debit Mastercard which you can use to access your money at ATMs or via EFTPOS for free. If you're under the age of 16, you'll receive an Easy Money Card which you can use to access your account balance.
Use your debit card overseas
You can use the linked Debit Mastercard overseas, however ATM withdrawals made overseas are not included in your free banking and will attract a fee. For overseas ATM withdrawals your account will be charged $5 per transaction.
Tiered interest rates
This account also lets you earn a small amount of interest on your balance with tiered rates that rise the bigger your balance is. Balances $1 and over will earn the maximum variable interest rate of 0.20%. The interest is applied to your daily balance and will be credited to your account once a month.
Make payments with your smartphone
This account offers a range of digital wallet solutions including Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay.
Mobile banking app
Check your balance on the go with Bendigo's free mobile banking app.
- Pay no account keeping fees or ATM fees in Australia
- Linked Debit Mastercard
- 24/7 access to funds via Internet and mobile banking
- Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay available
- Personalise your debit Mastercard with an image or colour of your choice
- Only available for students
- Overseas ATM fee applies
How do I apply for the Bendigo Bank Student Account?
You can apply online in less than 10 minutes.
- Minimum age. In order to apply for this account you must be at least 12 years old.
- Student status. You must be enrolled in school full time, or be an apprentice or trainee. The status of your ongoing studies will be checked annually to ensure that you still are eligible for this account.
- Residency requirements. You need to be an Australian resident with a residential address.
- Depository requirements. An opening deposit of at least one dollar will be required before the account can be activated.
Documents needed when applying
- Tax file number. Your tax file number (TFN) or exemption code is used to calculate the correct tax rate for your earned interest withholding tax. It is not mandatory that you provide your TFN but if you don’t, Bendigo Bank will withhold tax at the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. To verify your identity you will be asked for details from your Australian passport, driver’s licence and/or Medicare card.
What happens now?
After your application has been submitted to Bendigo Bank, it will confirm its receipt and if necessary ask you for further documentation or details. Once they have verified your identity and received your opening deposit the account will be activated and your chosen debit card sent to your mailing address.