The Bendigo Bank Student Account is a customised transaction account designed to suit students' various needs. With it, you get the convenience of complete access to your money around the clock, without the worry of having to pay fees. This is an account worth considering if your daily spending limits are already stretched thin.
What are the features of the Bendigo Bank Student Account?
Australian students often can’t afford to have their limited income being eaten away at by bank fees. In order to ensure that each dollar you earn is giving you its full benefit, compare the features of various student accounts versus the one that Bendigo Bank offers their customers:
- Eligibility. The Student Account is only available to full time students, apprentices or trainees aged 12 or older. Bendigo Bank does require that you provide proof of ongoing enrolment by the 14th of April each year in order to keep the account active.
- Monthly account service fee. You will not be charged any monthly fees for this account.
- Available transactions. With the Student Account you are able to make online and over the phone transactions, including BPAY and Pay Anyone. You are also issued a debit card that allows you to make unlimited free ATM and branch withdrawals along with EFTPOS purchases and withdrawals.
- Transaction fees. There are no charges to your account for using any of the above mentioned transaction methods.
- Debit card. Depending on your age you are given the option of having the account linked to a Bendigo Blue Debit Mastercard or an Easy Money ATM card.
- Bendigo Blue Debit Mastercard. This option is only available to account holders aged 16 or older who are permanent residents or citizens of Australia. With it you are able to access your money at Bendigo Bank ATMs across Australia and make purchases at EFTPOS terminals, online and over the phone.
- Overseas ATM transactions. ATM withdrawals and enquiries made overseas with your debit Mastercard are not included in your free banking. For withdrawals your account will be charged $5 per transaction and $1.50 for balance enquiries.
- Interest rates. This account also lets you earn a modest interest income with tiered rates that rise when your balance reaches $250, then $2,000 and one more time if you exceed a balance of $5,000.
- Interest payments. The interest is applied to your daily balance and will be credited to your account once a month.
- Access to ATMs and hundreds of branches in Australia
- Linked Bendigo Blue Debit Mastercard
- 24/7 access to funds via Internet banking
- Only available for students
How do I apply for the Bendigo Bank Student Account?
If the Student Account is able to help you manage your money while you finish your studies, take 10 minutes and apply online. There are eligibility requirements other than those already mentioned above that you should be aware of before getting started:
- Minimum age. In order to apply for this account you must be at least 12 years old and enrolled in school full time, or be an apprentice or trainee. The status of your ongoing studies will be checked annually to ensure that you still are eligible for this account.
- Residency requirements. You need to be an Australian resident with a residential address in order to be eligible for this account.
- Depository requirements. An opening deposit of at least one dollar will be required before the account can be activated.
Have the following documentation ready to make filling in the application easier:
- Tax file number. Your tax file number (TFN) or exemption code is used to calculate the correct tax rate for your earned interest withholding tax. It is not mandatory that you provide your TFN but if you don’t, Bendigo Bank will withhold tax at the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. To verify your identity you will be asked for details from your Australian passport, driver’s licence or Medicare card.
After your application has been submitted to Bendigo Bank, they will confirm its receipt and if necessary ask you for further documentation or details. Once they have verified your identity and received your opening deposit the account will be activated and your chosen debit card sent to your mailing address.