Whether or not you’re an existing BCU customer, you have access to a zero-fee investment opportunity for a minimum initial amount of just $1,000. Select to lock your money away for a term that suits you, from just one month to three years, and enjoy the benefit of a fixed interest rate and guaranteed, predictable returns.
The interest rates displayed below are for deposits less than $5000. You'll be rewarded with a higher interest rate for bigger deposits.
What are the features of the BCU Term Deposit?
The BCU Personal Term Deposit is an easy way to generate guaranteed interest on an initial investment of as little as $1,000. Here are a few additional features of the BCU Term deposit account.
Available to non-BCU customers
The BCU Term Deposit is available to customers and non-customers.
$0 account keeping fees
You're charged zero account keeping fees, and there's no charges to setup the account.
Terms from one month to three years
Choose an investment term of between one and 36 months, and an original investment amount of up to $4,999. If you'd like to invest more than this amount, BCU offers more competitive interest rates for larger balances.
Fixed interest rate
The benefit of a term deposit is that your interest rate is fixed for the life of the term, meaning it won't change even if interest rates are reduced. This also enables you to calculate your exact interest earnings for the life of the term.
Protection of up to $250,000
This product offers the government deposit guarantee of up to $250,000.
Interest can be paid out monthly, annually or at maturity
You can choose to have interest paid out monthly, annually or at maturity (at which time interest can also be reinvested). For investments of more than six months, you can also opt for quarterly or bi-annual interest payments. Important to note that early interest withdrawals incur a penalty.
Mobile banking app available
BCU offers a mobile banking app which is free to download, so you can easily keep an eye on your account when you're on the go.
- Deposit as little as $1,000
- Terms from one month to three years
- No setup or account keeping fees
- Fixed rate of interest
- Flexible repayment and reinvestment solutions
- Interest rates are less competitive than some savings accounts
- You can't access your money for the duration of the term
What you’ll need to know before applying
You don’t need to be an BCU customer to be eligible for this product. Interested individuals and businesses can apply online.
Eligibility to apply online
Here’s some other information you’ll need when applying for BCU Investment.
- Minimum age. You have to be a minimum of 16 years old to apply for this product.
- Residency requirements. You must be an Australian resident with a valid residential address. BCU might still be able to assist you if you don’t live in Australia.
- Depository requirements. A minimum original investment of $1,000 is required (the maximum amount is $4,999).
Documentation to apply online
- Tax File Number. You can choose whether or not to disclose your tax file number. However, if you don’t quote this information or claim an exemption, tax will be subtracted from your interest.
- Identification. You will be asked to supply positive identification, which can include your Australian passport, driver’s licence and/or your Medicare card. Your personal information will be checked by an external verification company before your application is approved.
- Other info required. You’ll also be asked for contact details like email addresses and phone numbers. Supply a security password so that BCU can identify you when you contact them. Businesses have to fill in an enquiry form before submitting an application for this product.
- What happens after applying? If you’re a new customer, BCU will send along membership details and login information for online transactions. Both new and existing customers will receive information about the Investment plan once the application has been approved.