BCU Access account
The BCU Access account is an everyday banking product with no account keeping fees.
The account is BCU's premium everyday banking product linked with Visa debit card and comes with cheque book and BPAY facilities. Customers have unlimited access to their funds via the linked Visa Debit card, Internet, mobile and in-branch banking.
Account keeping fee
ATM withdrawal fee
Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
Overseas transaction fee
of transaction value
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Alison Banney is the banking and investments editor at Finder. She has written about finance for over six years with her work featured on sites including Yahoo Finance, Money Magazine and Dynamic Business.
This account has no monthly account fees to worry about, and there are no ongoing deposit conditions to meet either. This could be suited to you if you like to make transactions in a branch, as you can make unlimited withdrawals or deposits in a BCU branch for free. Some other transaction accounts charge a fee for in branch transactions. If you don’t live near a BCU branch you can also make cash deposits at the post office using Bank@Post, but there will be a transaction fee.
Something to be aware of with this account is the international transaction fee of 3.65%. This is quite high compared to other transaction accounts, and some transaction accounts don’t charge this fee at all. So keep this in mind if you plan to use the account to make purchases overseas or online from international retailers.
No monthly account keeping fee
There's no monthly account keeping fee to pay with this account.
No minimum deposit
There is no minimum required to open an Access account.
Link it to other accounts
Account-holders can have their Access account linked to a credit card as well as savings accounts like the Saver and iSaver products. You can compare other bcu products and services here.
Access thousands of ATMs for free
No withdrawal fees are charged when you use BCU ATMs, or when you use Westpac, CBA, ANZ or NAB ATMs in Australia.
Online and over-the-counter access available
Account holders can manage their funds in person, via the internet and phone. There is also internet, mobile and telephone banking available.
Ability to add accounts
As an Access account-holder, you have the option to open a Saver or iSaver account to optimise interest earnings. You can also have an additional card and PIN issued for an authorised user.
You can have your account set up for direct debits and credits to other accounts, automatic cash transfers with the sweep facility and periodical payments.
Linked Visa debit card
This card comes with a linked Visa debit card so you can make purchases through EFTPOS and take your funds out of an ATM.
How to applyWhat you'll need to know before applyingCustomers can apply online by clicking on "Join us" on the top right of the BCU website landing page and then "Apply now".
If you prefer to open your account in person, you can visit a BCU branch. Here are a few things to be aware of when opening an Access account.
- Age. Australian residents over the age of 16 years can apply for the Access account.
- Proof of residence. Applicants must provide proof of an Australian residential address. If you have concerns about how your personal information will be treated, read the Privacy Information Statement for more details. If you change your name, address or contact details, you must inform BCU as soon as possible.
- Security. Online applicants will be asked to provide an ID password to ensure safety for transactions effected online.
- Deposit. No initial deposit is required to open an Access account.
- Verification. Your personal information will be sent to an external organisation for verification.
- Identification. Whether applying online or in person, make sure that you have some positive identification on hand. This can include an Australian passport, a driver's licence and/or a Medicare card.
- Contact details. You'll be asked to provide a phone number and an email address. This way BCU can inform you once your application has been approved and provide your account information.
- Tax file number. Whether or not you disclose your tax file number is up to you.However, if you don't claim an exemption, tax will be subtracted from your interest.
What happens after I submit my application?
Once your account is approved, BCU will contact you via phone or SMS with your new account details.