The account is BCU's premium everyday banking product linked with Visa debit card and comes with cheque book and BPAY facilities. Customers have unlimited access to their funds and earn interest on a balance of $500 and more. Features include free transactions at BCU ATMs and access to internet, phone and telephone banking.
What features come with the BCU Access savings account?
Besides incentives to earn interest and a low monthly fee, the Access account offers customers several additional features.
Waived monthly fee if you're a student
The monthly fee of $5 is waived for students.
No minimum deposit
There is no minimum required to open an Access account.
Link it to other accounts
Account-holders can have their Access account linked to a credit card as well as savings accounts like the Saver and iSaver products. You can compare other bcu products and services here.
Zero withdrawal fees
No withdrawal fees are charged for transactions at BCU or St.George ATMs.
Online and over-the-counter access available
Account holders can manage their funds in person, via the internet and phone. There is also internet, mobile and telephone banking available.
Ability to add accounts
As an Access account-holder, you have the option to open a Saver or iSaver account to optimise interest earnings. You can also have an additional card and PIN issued for an authorised user.
You can have your account set up for direct debits and credits to other accounts, automatic cash transfers with the sweep facility and periodical payments.
Linked Visa debit card
This card comes with a linked Visa debit card so you can make purchases through EFTPOS and take your funds out of an ATM.
Earn interest on the whole balance over $500
Interest is paid out every six months at a rate of 0.05% for amounts between $500 and $19,999, and for $20,000 and over.
- No minimum deposit required.
- $0 withdrawal fees at any BCU ATM.
- Flexibility to link your to a credit card as well as savings accounts.
- $5 monthly account fee.
What you’ll need to know before applying
Customers can apply online by clicking on “Join us” on the top right of the BCU website landing page and then “Apply now”.
If you prefer to open your account in person, you can visit a BCU branch. Here are a few things to be aware of when opening an Access account.
Eligibility to apply online
- Age. Australian residents over the age of 16 years can apply for the Access account.
- Proof of residence. Applicants must provide proof of an Australian residential address. If you have concerns about how your personal information will be treated, read the Privacy Information Statement for more details. If you change your name, address or contact details, you must inform BCU as soon as possible.
- Security. Online applicants will be asked to provide an ID password to ensure safety for transactions effected online.
- Deposit. No initial deposit is required to open an Access account.
- Verification. Your personal information will be sent to an external organisation for verification.
Documentation for your application
- Identification. Whether applying online or in person, make sure that you have some positive identification on hand. This can include an Australian passport, a driver’s licence and/or a Medicare card.
- Contact details. You’ll be asked to provide a phone number and an email address. This way BCU can inform you once your application has been approved and provide your account information.
- Tax file number. Whether or not you disclose your tax file number is up to you.However, if you don’t claim an exemption, tax will be subtracted from your interest.
What happens after I submit the application?
Once your account is approved, BCU will contact you via phone or SMS with your new account details.