Australians who have been issued a Commonwealth Government Health Concession card or Senior’s card can make their banking requirements simpler with the Bank of Melbourne Concession Transaction Bank Account. This account has been specially designed with no account keeping fees, low transaction fees and easy accessibility in order to help manage your money easily.
Bank of Melbourne Concession Transaction Account
- Account keeping fee
- ATM withdrawal fee
- Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
- Overseas transaction fee of transaction value
This is an everyday bank account for concession card holders with no monthly account keeping fees and no deposit conditions to meet. To be eligible for this account you need to have a Commonwealth Government Health Concession Card or a Senior's Card.
You’ll pay no ATM withdrawals fees at all Westpac Group ATMs (including Bank of Melbourne, BankSA and St.George) as well as ANZ, NAB and CommBank ATMs in Australia. You can also access 50,000+ ATMs overseas for free through the Global ATM Alliance. However, ATMs outside of the network will attract a withdrawal fee, so check the ATM screen before going through with the withdrawal to see if a fee will be charged.
If you’re not a concession card holder, you can take a look at the Bank of Melbourne Complete Freedom Transaction Account instead. It’s got most of the same benefits and features as this account, although there is a monthly deposit condition to meet in order to avoid the monthly fee.
Unlimited free staff-assisted transactions
$0 monthly account service fee
Access ATMs around the world for free within the Westpac Global ATM Alliance
There is a 3.0% foreign currency conversion fee
There is a $5 overseas cash withdrawal fee
Strict eligibility criteria applies for this account
|Product Name||Bank of Melbourne Concession|
|Monthly account fee||$0|
|Own network ATM fee||$0|
|International ATM Fee||$5 + 3%|
|International transaction fee||3%|
|Monthly deposit required to waive account fee||N/A|
|Contactless Payments||Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay|
|Joint account availability||Yes|
|Minimum opening deposit||$1|
No monthly fees
There are no monthly account service fees for this account.
You are able to access your account online, over the phone and through an ATM network.
Linked Visa debit card
When you open a Concession Transaction Bank Account you will be issued a Visa debit card which can be used online or in-store, wherever Visa is accepted. Be advised that there is an $8,000 daily spending limit for the card.
Access ATMs for free in Australia and overseas
Free cash withdrawals of up to $1,000 daily can be made at any Bank of Melbourne, BankSA, Westpac, or St.George ATM . That totals over 3,000 ATMs around Australia, plus up to 50,000 globally through the Westpac ATM Alliance. If you use an ATM overseas outside of the network, a $5 fee applies, plus any additional fees charged by the issuing financial institution.
Free staff-assisted transactions
You are allowed an unlimited number of free staff-assisted transactions at any Bank of Melbourne branch, or over the phone.
Mobile banking available
Bank of Melbourne has an app that can be downloaded for free onto iPhone or Android devices. This gives you the same access to your account that online banking does, along with the ability of making ATM withdrawals without the use of your debit card.
No minimum balance requirements
You are not required to maintain any minimum balance to keep your account open.
Foreign currency conversion fee of 3%
Any transaction that requires Bank of Melbourne to convert currency to the Australian dollar will incur a charge of 3% of the Australian dollar amount.
Must be a concession card holder
You must either have a Commonwealth Government Health Concession Card or Senior's card to qualify for this account.
How to apply
If this account sounds like an ideal way for you to manage your money, you will need to apply either over the phone or at your local Bank of Melbourne branch. Before making that call or trip however, you should check to make sure that you are eligible for the account:
- Minimum age. While there is no age requirement, you do need to hold a Commonwealth Government Health Concession card or Senior's card to qualify.
- Residency requirements. Applicants must be permanent residents of Australia with a residential address.
- Depository requirements. You will be required to make a deposit of at least $1 to open the account.
- Identification. The Bank of Melbourne will need to verify your identity using a photo ID. This could be with your passport or an Australian driver's licence.
- Other identification. You will also have to have available your Commonwealth Government Health Concession or Senior's card.
- Contact details. Your full name, date of birth, physical address and email address will all be asked for when applying.
What happens after I submit my application?
An account specialist will assist you in preparing the application and setting up your account once your eligibility and identity have been confirmed. Once your account has been opened, you will be issued a welcome pack along with your Visa debit card in order to be able to access your money when you need it.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked