A transaction account that lets you access you money worldwide. You can access over 3,000 Westpac Group ATMs along with 50,000 global ATMs that are part of Westpac’s Global ATM alliance. Online banking and mobile banking available. Open one today in less than 3 minutes.
Don't pay any ATM fees when you withdraw money from an ATM that belongs to one of Westpac's Global partners (see below for the list). Be mindful that the foreign transaction fee still applies.
What are the features of the Westpac Choice transaction account?
When looking into a transaction account that helps you manage your money, consider the following features that the Westpac Choice has to offer you:
$0 Account keeping fee if you deposit $2,000 per month
If you are able to deposit at least $2,000 a month into your account, the $5 monthly service fee will not be charged to your account. In addition, the fee is waived for individuals under the age of 21, full-time tertiary students, and individuals who hold an Australian Pensioner Concession or Health Care Card. Expatriate and migrant customers will have the fee waived for the first year that the account is open.
Linked debit Mastercard or Handycard
A debit Mastercard is issued to all Choice account holders over the age of 16. With this card, purchases can be made in stores, online and over the phone, with the price being directly debited from your transaction account. Customers under the age of 16 can use a Handycard, which allows you to withdraw cash from Westpac ATMs, however does not allow for online purchases.
Free ATM withdrawals within the Westpac ATM network
You can make unlimited withdrawals using your debit Mastercard from any Westpac ATM in Australia.
No foreign ATM withdrawal fee when using a Global Alliance ATM
Westpac is a part of the Global ATM alliance which allows you to make cash withdrawals from certain banks overseas without being charged an ATM fee. If you do use an ATM that is not a part of the alliance, you will be charged $5 per transaction plus other fees and charges may be added to your account from the issuing bank.
Global ATM partners
|New Zealand||Westpac NZ|
|Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji||Westpac Pacific Banking|
|Italy, France||BNP Paribas|
|Poland, Spain, Germany||Deutsche Bank|
|Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Tanzania, Seychelles, Mauritius, Kenya, Ghana, Botswana||Barclays Bank|
|UK, Portugal and Gibraltar||Barclays Bank|
|USA||Bank of America|
|China||Bank of Nanjing|
|Canada, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Caribbean, Jamaica||Scotiabank|
Online, tablet and mobile banking available
You can also get cash from Westpac ATMs by using a cash code that is issued to you through mobile banking. This option limits you to withdrawals of up to $500 daily or $1,000 a week.
Mortgage interest offset available
If you are a home loan customer with a Westpac Rocket Repay home loan or Rocket Investment loan, the balance of your Choice account can offset the balance of your home loan. Interest is then applied to your mortgage payment based on the adjusted amount, lowering the amount due to Westpac.
Foreign currency conversion
If you make a transaction in a foreign currency and the merchant accepting the debit Mastercard is located outside of Australia, you will be charged 3.00% of the Australian dollar amount. If the merchant or bank is located inside of Australia, you are charged 2.2%.
Get cash without your debit card
Westpac's new feature, Cardless Cash lets you withdraw money without your debit card from Westpac-branded ATMs. All you need to do is generate a code from the Westpac Mobile Banking app.
Tap and Pay with your Android phone
Pay in-store with your compatible Samsung smartphone using Tap and Pay. Hold your phone to the EFTPOS reader to make purchases under $100 in a tap.
- No ATM fees when using St.George / Westpac / BankSA / Bank of Melbourne ATMs.
- No monthly service fee if you deposit a minimum of $2,000 per month
- Must deposit $2,000 to get no monthly service fee
Open a Westpac Choice account in less than 3 minutes
When after comparing the features of various transaction accounts you find that the Westpac Choice is the right choice for you, you can apply online by clicking ‘Go to Site’.
Eligibility to apply online
Before you begin to fill out the application make sure that you are able to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Your age. In order to be considered for this account, an applicant must be at least 12 years of age. Keep in mind that if you are under 16, you will not be issued a debit Mastercard. Instead, you will need to apply for the Handycard. This card will be able to provide you with access to your money.
- Residency. You must be an Australian resident currently living in Australia with a valid residential address.
- Mobile number. Westpac will send an account activation code to your mobile phone once they have opened your account.
Documents for your online application
If you are eligible to apply for the Choice account, continue on to the secure application page with the following documentation close by to refer to:
- Identification documents. Westpac will attempt to verify your identity electronically by using the information from one of the following documents; your passport, driver’s licence, Medicare card or birth certificate. If Westpac is unable to verify your identity, you may need to have this step finished at a local branch.
- Personal information. Some of your personal details will need to be provided, such as your full name, date of birth and your current Australian address.
- Account information. If you intend on using this account as a 100% offset for your home loan, have your customer or account number available.
What happens after I submit the application?
Once you have submitted your online application to Westpac, they will issue you an activation code so that you may begin making your deposits. The debit Mastercard will be sent by post to the address you provided and will be ready for use once you activate it.