You’re never far from cash with a student transaction account that gives you free access to one of Australia’s largest ATM networks. Linked with a debit Mastercard, the Westpac Choice Student everyday account makes it easy to make your day-to-day purchases and withdrawals without having to worry about fees. If you are enrolled in tertiary school full-time, than this is a banking account that can help see you through to graduation.
What are the features of the Westpac Choice Student transaction account?
For full-time students, time and money is very valuable and with the Choice Student Account Westpac takes both of those into consideration. See how it compares to other accounts structured for students by looking at the following features:
Monthly service fee
The normal $5 monthly fee is waived for full-time tertiary students.
If you open a new Westpac Choice Student account, you receive a one-year International Student Identity Card (ISIC) or a International Youth Travel Card (IYTC). Note: the ISIC is available for full time students while the IYTC is available for applicants under 31 years old. Both cards give you access to discounts on travel, restaurants and more.
Click on "Go to site" to find out more.
You have around the clock electronic access to the account using Westpac online banking and mobile banking.
Account holders can withdraw cash for free at over 50,000 ATMs around the world using the linked debit card. The Westpac Global Alliance includes such banking partners as Scotiabank, Bank of America and Deutsche Bank. Other fees, such as currency conversion fees may still apply.
The account is linked to a debit Mastercard which further enhances your access to your money by allowing you to make purchases like cash wherever Mastercard is accepted. Applicants under the age of 16 will need to apply for a Handycard to gain ATM access to the account.
Global ATM alliance
Westpac has a global ATM alliance so you can save on overseas ATM fees when you travel.
When you make a foreign transaction or withdrawal a 3.00% foreign transaction fee will be charged to your account. If you make a withdrawal while overseas from an ATM that is not a part of the Global Alliance you will also be charged a $5 fee.
The Westpac mobile app is available for Windows Phone, iPhone and android supported mobile devices. With the app downloaded onto your mobile phone you can take advantage of Get Cash, a feature that allows you to make cash withdrawals of up to $300 daily or a $1,000 a week even when you leave your debit card at home. The app on your mobile phone also allows you to view your balance and recent transactions, transfer money and pay bills.
You must be registered as a full-time student in an Australian tertiary institution in order to be eligible for this account.
- $0 monthly fee.
- Online and phone banking is allowed.
- No interest paid for your money.
- Overseas ATM fee applies.
How do I apply for the Westpac Choice Student account?
If the Choice Student account has all you need to make it through your university years, you can open an account in five minutes by applying online. Westpac does have some eligibility requirements that you must first meet before your application will be considered:
- Minimum age. This account is structured to meet the needs of Australian students of any age who are currently enrolled full-time in a tertiary school.
- Residency requirements. You must currently be in Australia and possess an Australian residential address. If you are overseas, there is a separate application process to follow.
- Depository requirements. Westpac does not set a deposit requirement in order to open this account.
Additionally, you are going to be asked to provide information from certain documentation as you proceed with the application including:
- Tax file number. You are not obligated to provide Westpac with your tax file number (TFN) or exemption code. This is used primarily for interest earning accounts in order to make sure that any withholding tax on interest earnings is at the appropriate rate for your circumstance.
- Identification. Westpac is obligated to verify your identity and will ask for your passport, Medicare card or driver’s licence. Also, in order to prove your full-time student status you will also be asked to present your student id.
If Westpac is able to verify your identity online, your new transaction account will be activated in minutes and your debit Mastercard mailed to the address you provided. If not, you may be asked to visit a local branch in order to complete verifying your identity.