Up Everyday Account Review
Up's everyday account has no account keeping fees or foreign transaction fees and gives you detailed insights into your spending.
Up offers an everyday account for your daily spending and a bonus savings account that pays you a competitive interest rate. The everyday account is completely managed via the app, and offers a bunch of handy digital tools and features to help you manage your money.
Exclusive offer: Earn a $5 cash bonus when you click through from Finder and create an Up account with the code: FINDER5. This offer is exclusive to Finder and is for new Up customers only.
Account keeping fee
ATM withdrawal fee
Overseas ATM withdrawal fee
You can sign up for an Up transaction account in a couple of minutes and it's compatible with both Android and iOS. You'll be able to get a PayID on application to make instant payments to other bank accounts and you'll receive your Up card in 5-10 days. While you're waiting for your card to arrive, you can set up Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay and start making contactless purchases with your smartphone instantly.
When you use the card, your transactions are automatically categorised and you'll receive real-time reports. You'll also have more visibility into your spending with details such as merchant IDs, the time of day you made the purchase and the location being available. Up also automatically detects your regular bills and predicts when they will next occur.
Features on offer with Up
Up offers a number of features with its products which include the following:
- More detailed spending history. Up's "Naked Truth" feature aims to give you more clarity on your spending habits. Your transactions will display the amount you spent as well as the merchant, the time of day you made the purchase and the location.
- Spending insights. Aside from telling you how much you've spent and where you've spent it, Up will share how often you're buying. For example, you'll be able to see your total expenditures at a chain of stores across the country along with your average purchase amount. You will also see a weekly total and be able to check your balance without needing to log in.
- Payment splitting. Up offers a "conversational payments" feature in its app whereby you can make payments in real time to people and businesses. Your payment history with a particular person will be shown in a message format, similar to WhatsApp. You'll have the option to pay using people's PayID or BSB and account number.
- Automated categorisation. Your transactions will automatically be categorised to get real-time reports into your spending.
- Bills are automatically detected. Up will be able to detect regular charges and bills and help you budget for them. For example, it tracks when your subscriptions are direct debited and reminds you when they're coming up.
- Payment options. You can use a range of payment options with Up including Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay.
- Savings roundups. You're able to nominate roundups, which means your transactions will be automatically rounded up and contributed to your linked savings account.
- Link to Afterpay. Up has an innovative way of displaying purchases made using Afterpay. If you make an Afterpay purchase you will be able to see the details of the products you purchase as well as when the instalments are due to be debited out of your account.
- Multiple savings accounts. Set up multiple savings accounts within the Up app and have them linked to an individual savings goal. You can earn bonus interest across these accounts up to a combined balance of $50,000.
- Low fees. You won't be charged for your transaction account, ATM withdrawals, international transaction fees or your savings accounts. Fees will apply when your account is overdrawn.
- Access ATMs for free. You can make free ATM withdrawals at most major bank-owned ATMs in Australia and overseas. However, some smaller ATM operators will charge a fee, so make sure you check on the ATM screen when you're making your withdrawal.
How to apply
Up transaction and savings accounts are available to individuals over the age of 16. You just need $1 in the account to get started.
To open an account, download the Up app on your Android or iOS device and provide the necessary information and documentation, such as your home address and driver's licence. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Once verified, your card will arrive 5-10 days later.