Compare BYOjet travel insurance policies to find the right cover for your next trip.
If you’re planning an international or domestic holiday and are looking for travel insurance cover, BYOjet offers a range of policies to suit. Administered by Cover-More Insurance Services and issued by Zurich Australian Insurance Limited, BYOjet travel insurance is backed by 24/7 emergency assistance, a simple claims process and your choice of excess levels.
What travel insurance policies does BYOjet offer?
BYOjet offers five insurance plans designed to suit the cover needs of a range of travellers:
- International Single Trip. This plan provides comprehensive travel insurance cover for overseas trips. As well as unlimited cover for overseas emergency medical and dental expenses and 24/7 emergency assistance, other benefits include cover for amendment and cancellation costs, lost or stolen luggage and travel documents, delayed luggage, travel delay, rental car insurance excess and personal liability.
- International Annual Multi Trip. If you’re planning on travelling overseas more than once in the next year, this policy can cover all the international trips you take during a 12-month period. It offers all the same benefits as the International Single Trip policy but is cheaper than taking out an individual policy for each separate trip. You can select a maximum journey duration to suit your needs (from the options available) for trips more than 250km from home.
- International Medical Only. If you’re looking for budget-friendly international travel insurance for your overseas holiday, the Medical Only plan offers the same unlimited overseas medical and dental expense coverage as a comprehensive policy but without the added expense of a full range of benefits. It also includes cover for additional accommodation and transport costs you incur due to a medical emergency, as well as lump sum benefits for permanent disability and accidental death.
- Domestic Single Trip. If you’re staying within Australia, BYOjet Domestic Single Trip insurance provides cover for amendment and cancellation costs; lost, stolen or damaged luggage and travel documents; rental car insurance excess; travel delays and personal liability. Lump sum benefits for accidental death and permanent disability are also included.
- Domestic Annual Multi Trip. Designed for frequent travellers, this plan provides all the same benefits as the Domestic Single Trip policy but it provides cover for an unlimited number of trips within Australia in a 12-month period.
How can I make a claim?
If you need to submit a claim on your BYOjet travel insurance policy, there are two options available:
- Submit your claim online. You can lodge your claim online using Cover-More’s online claims tool. This allows you to make a claim 24 hours a day by providing the full details of what happened and any supporting documentation (such as receipts, medical reports, police reports etc.) required.
- Submit your claim by post. The second option is to download a claim form, complete it, and then mail it and your supporting documentation to Cover-More Travel Insurance, Claims Dept, Private Bag 913, North Sydney NSW 2059.
You will need to notify the insurer of your claim (or any event that may lead to a claim) as soon as possible and within 60 days of the return date shown on your certificate of insurance. The insurer will then respond to or settle your claim within 10 working days of it being received.
Why should I consider BYOjet travel insurance?
There are several reasons that BYOjet travel insurance is worth considering, including:
- 15-day money-back guarantee. If you change your mind about cover within the first 15 days after purchasing a policy, you can cancel the policy and receive a full refund.
- Cover for adventure activities. BYOjet travel insurance automatically includes cover for a number of adventure activities, including abseiling, ballooning, bungee jumping, horseriding, jetskiing, paragliding, parasailing, skydiving, snorkelling and surfing.
- 24/7 emergency assistance. All BYOjet policyholders have access to 24-hour emergency assistance to provide the help you need anywhere in the world, whether you need assistance to replace a lost passport, track down an English-speaking doctor or deal with any other emergency. This ensures that no matter where you are, you never travel alone.
- 24-hour online claims. You can lodge your BYOjet travel insurance claim at any time using Cover-More’s handy online claims tool.
- Cover options. Whether you want budget cover, comprehensive cover, or single or multi-trip cover, BYOjet offers a policy to suit.
- Your choice of excess. When travelling internationally, you get to choose the excess payable on your policy when you make a claim. The higher the excess you choose, the lower your premium. A $50 excess applies to the Domestic Plan.
What does BYOjet travel insurance not cover?
Like all travel insurance, exclusions apply. Some of the situations BYOjet will not pay for include:
- Losses resulting from a failure to take reasonable care. You are required to take sensible precautions, like locking your hotel room when you leave.
- Claims involving air travel except as a passenger on a licensed airline or charter flight operator. You aren't covered for hang-gliding, hot air ballooning, wing-suiting, flying your own plane or anything else in the air.
- Claims arising as a result of war, invasion or hostilities, rebellion, revolution or usurped power. BYOjet won't cover losses resulting from being caught in a civil war, rebellion, coup or other hostilities.
- Claims arising from your unlawful acts. BYOjet may deny claims resulting from your breaking the law, or not being honest with authorities and the insurer as required.
- Loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation of destruction by authorities. You cannot claim for items confiscated by customs officials, or others.
- Certain claims arising from circumstances that should have reasonably caused you to cancel your trip. For example, going overseas when a relative is extremely ill, and then trying to claim an emergency trip home because they pass away during your trip.
- Claims arising from travel operator insolvency. You will not be reimbursed for the insolvency or bankruptcy of travel providers.
- Claims involving your travel on a private sailing vessel. You aren't covered on private sailing vessels. You may still be covered as a paying passenger on commercially operated ships.
- Claims involving your participation in high risk sports. For example, BMW riding, running with the bulls, rodeo riding, BASE jumping, moto cross, mountaineering or racing other than on foot.
- Certain motorcycle claims. You are not covered for driving or riding motorcycles with over 200cc engine capacity, or when the driver doesn't hold a motorcycle license for the country you're in.
I have some questions about BYOjet travel insurance
When does cover start under my BYOjet policy?
Trip cancellation cover begins as soon as your policy is issued. All other benefits begin on the date of departure specified on your policy.
Is there a cooling-off period?
Yes. You can cancel your policy within 15 days of it being issued and receive a full refund of your premium.
Does BYOjet cover pregnancy?
You will only be covered for serious, unexpected pregnancy complications that occur up until the 24th week of pregnancy.
Does BYOjet cover skiing and snowboarding?
No. These activities are specifically excluded from the policy, but you may be able to get cover for these snow sports by paying an extra premium.
Can I extend cover once my journey has begun?
No. If you wish to be covered for a longer period, you’ll need to purchase a new policy from BYOjet before your current policy expires.
Is cancellation cover automatically included in the BYOjet International Plan?
No. Cancellation cover is not automatically included but you have the freedom to choose the level of cancellation cover that suits your needs. Simply select the amount you want from the options presented to you when applying for cover.