Do you live in Perth and need travel insurance? Compare your options and get cover today
From lost luggage to flight delays, trip interruptions and even medical emergencies, when something goes wrong on a holiday, it can be frustrating, stressful and extremely expensive in some cases. This is where travel insurance comes in; it offers critical financial protection against a long list of travel risks, including everything from stolen luggage to overseas medical expenses and personal liability, allowing you to enjoy peace of mind while you’re out seeing the world.
Whether you live in Perth and you’re planning a holiday within Australia or abroad, or whether you’re a foreign visitor and you need travel insurance for your Perth holiday, you’ll need to shop around for a policy that offers the right type and level of cover. Start comparing travel insurance for Perth at finder.com.au today.
Compare travel insurance for Perth residents
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination
Are you an overseas visitor coming to Perth and looking to take out cover?
If you answered yes to this question, you may wish to investigate the option of taking out an overseas visitor travel insurance policy. This type of cover is designed for non-residents of Australia who have not taken out a policy in their home country. Whether you’re here for a relaxing break or even on a working holiday visa, you’ll be able to find an insurer willing to offer the cover you need.
It’s important to remember that you may have to satisfy common conditions in order to qualify for cover, such as taking out a policy either before you leave home or within a specified timeframe after arriving in Australia.
Although the benefits offered under these types of policies differ between insurers, examine the below list of benefits included in 1Cover’s Visitors To Australia Travel Insurance to get an idea of what you will generally be covered for:
- Unlimited emergency medical assistance within Australia
- Unlimited emergency medical and hospital expenses within Australia
- Emergency dental expenses
- Additional accommodation and travel expenses, including family emergency and emergency companion cover
- Hospital cash allowance
- Accidental death
- Lost, stolen and damaged luggage and personal effects
- Unlimited cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits
- $5 million personal liability cover
- Rental vehicle insurance excess cover
Are you currently living in Perth and looking to take out travel insurance?
If you’re a Perth resident and you need travel insurance for a trip within Australia or overseas, you’ve come to the right place. Finder.com.au has a wealth of information on travel insurance policies from trusted brands in the insurance industry. You can get quotes for:
- Single-trip policies
- Annual policies to cover all trips within a year
- Domestic policies for trips within Australia
- Cruise policies with additional cover for cruise trips in Australian waters or abroad
- Winter sports policies with cover for equipment or bad weather
We’ve worked hard to make finding travel insurance at finder.com.au as straightforward as possible. It’s quick and easy to compare several policies at once to see which one is right for you. Buying travel insurance online direct from an insurer is the cheapest way to get cover, so not only will you be able to find travel insurance that guarantees peace of mind, but you’ll also be able to save a lot of money compared to buying cover from a travel agent. To sweeten the deal, finder.com.au also has access to a range exclusive discount offers.
How to compare travel insurance policies and providers
- Know your cover needs. Think about where you’re going, how long you’re going for and what you’re planning on doing when you get there. Will you need extra cover for a pre-existing medical condition or for participating in adventure activities? Will you need a single policy or family cover?
- Consider the benefits. Compare the benefits that each policy offers and how they relate to your cover needs. For example, does the policy offer cover for rental vehicle insurance excess? Check whether you need to add any additional cover options, such as winter sports cover.
- Know the benefit limits. Check each insurer’s table of benefits to see how much cover is provided. For example, while one policy may offer unlimited cover for cancellation fees and lost deposits, another might only pay a maximum of $20,000. Also remember that sub-limits may apply, such as the maximum amount an insurer will pay for a lost, stolen or damaged valuable item.
- Check the list of exclusions. This is essential as it will help you understand exactly when your policy will not provide cover. Common exclusions include claims that arise because you were under the influence of alcohol and claims for stolen belongings if you leave them unattended in a public place.
- Check for flexibility. Does your insurer allow you to extend cover if you decide to extend your trip?
- Study the claims process. What do you need to do to make a claim? What sort of supporting documentation do you need to provide? How long does the claims process take and does the insurer have a good reputation for paying claims efficiently?
- Look for reviews and recommendations. Hunt around online for reviews from fellow travellers and see if trusted friends or relatives have had any personal experiences (good or bad) with an insurer.
- Compare quotes. Obtain a number of quotes from insurers and weigh them up against each other to determine how much cover costs with each one. Consider the cost of premiums in relation to the features of cover to find a policy that provides value for money.
I’m living in Perth and taking a trip within Australia. Should I get travel insurance?
Travel insurance is essential for trips within Australia as well as overseas. After all, travel disasters can happen anywhere in the world. While domestic travel insurance policies don’t cover overseas medical expenses, they do offer a wide range of useful benefits, including cover for:
- Cancellation fees and lost deposits
- Additional expenses following a medical emergency or the death of a relative
- Accidental death
- Travel delay expenses
- Lost, stolen or damaged luggage and personal effects
- Delayed luggage and personal effects
- Theft of cash
- Rental vehicle insurance excess
- Personal liability
Even with all these benefits, domestic travel insurance is generally quite affordable and also offers more comprehensive cover than the limited travel insurance cover offered by some airlines. Get a quote today to see how little it will cost.
Finally, if you’re planning on taking a cruise holiday in Australian waters, it’s worth pointing out that you won’t be covered by Medicare for any of your medical or hospital expenses. Therefore, it’s essential to take out a domestic cruise travel insurance policy that covers your medical costs (including ship to shore evacuation).
I need travel insurance from Perth to Bali. What policy should I get?
It’s no secret that Bali has long been a popular destination for Perth residents. Cheap, quick flights have made it a popular destination for fly-in, fly-out workers and other residents alike. Unfortunately, we can’t recommend a specific policy for your trip; you’ll will have to consider your own situation and cover. What we can do is explain why getting cover is important and the travel risks to watch out for. Read our complete guide to Bali travel insurance here.
How much does travel insurance cost?
What travel insurance companies operate out of Perth?
The Royal Automobile Club of WA was established in 1905 to look after the needs of motorists in Western Australia. Today, it has more than 800,000 members and aims to provide an independent voice for road users in WA. It also offers roadside assistance, motoring services and advice, driver training and a range of insurance options, along with a range of holiday booking options.
RAC Travel Insurance, which is underwritten by Great Lakes Australia, aims to provide cover for you, your loved ones and your possessions when you travel. RAC offers the following travel insurance options:
- International Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- International Essentials Travel Insurance
- Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance
- Domestic Travel Insurance
- Rental Car Excess Travel Insurance
SGIO Insurance can trace its history back to the WA Goldfields in 1926 and aims to offer insurance policies designed to meet the unique cover needs of Western Australians. SGIO has branches in Perth, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Bunbury, Busselton and Mandurah, and it focuses on providing insurance that is easy to understand. It offers car, motorcycle, home, boat, business, caravan and travel insurance. Its travel insurance offerings are issued by Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK) and include:
- International Comprehensive Single Trip Plan
- International Comprehensive Annual Multi Trip Plan
- International Essentials Single Trip Plan
- Domestic Comprehensive Single Trip Plan
- Domestic Comprehensive Annual Multi Trip Plan
- Domestic Cancellation Plan
HIF is a not-for-profit private health fund that was founded in 1954. It offers member-focused health cover to customers throughout Australia, ensuring that members can afford the medical treatment and hospital care they need.
HIF also offers travel insurance policies issued by CGU Insurance Ltd. There are basic and comprehensive policies available for international travel, cover for domestic trips and annual multi-trip travel insurance.