The Visa Debit Card from St.George links to your banking account, allowing you to spend freely without incurring debt. A Visa Debit Card can be used anywhere that a Visa Credit Card is accepted, except it draws the funds directly out of your linked banking account. In this way, you are not going to be spending any more than you can afford to.
What are the features of the St.George Visa Debit Account?
The Visa Debit Card is not a credit card, and when comparing its features you should be looking at not only the card but the bank accounts it can be linked to. With the St.George Visa Debit Card you are going to get the following:
- Annual fee. St.George does not charge you an annual fee for the Visa Debit Card.
- Accessibility. With your Visa Debit Card you are able to shop online, over the phone, at retailers where Visa is normally accepted and overseas. The card can also be used to withdraw money from your linked banking account.
- ATM access. Money can be withdrawn from your account using the Visa Debit Card at any ATM that bears the Visa logo. Just press “CHEQUE” or “SAVINGS” depending on which account you are withdrawing from. You can also press “CREDIT” for your transactions and get added security on your purchases with chargeback protection as well as tracking your use to protect against unusual activity. You are also allowed to use the Visa Debit Card at any St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne or Westpac ATM.
- Security. A Visa Debit Card gives your money added protection with embedded chip technology for added security. You also get Fraud Money Back Guarantee which ensures that unauthorised transaction claims are reimbursed provided that you did not contribute to the loss and that you contact St.George promptly.
- Visa payWave. Visa payWave allows you to make point of sale purchases under $100 simply by waving your card at the terminal.
- Linked accounts. St.George allows you to link the Visa Debit Card to up to two of these accounts; Complete Freedom, Complete Freedom Student, Retirement Access Plus, or the Concession Account. You can compare the features of these accounts as well in order to help you determine if the St.George Visa Debit Card is your best choice in meeting your spending needs.
- Visa Preferred Services. Get discounts and special benefits when using your Visa Debit Card on sporting events, concerts, the cinema and more.
- Visa debit transaction fees. It is dependent on the account, but in most instances Visa debit transactions are free, but could count towards any monthly withdrawal allowance. The merchant may also charge an additional fee which should be made known to you at the time of withdrawal or purchase.
- $0 Account Fees
- No ATM Access fees
- Visa Debit card access
- No interest earnt on the account
How do I apply for the St.George Visa Debit Account?
In order to apply for the St.George Visa Debit Account you must already hold at least one of these accounts or apply for one and the debit card at the same time; Complete Freedom, Complete Freedom Student, Retirement Access Plus or Concession Account. Read our brief reviews of each of these St.George accounts.
Eligibility requirements for each of the accounts that can be linked to the Visa Debit Card will differ, but you will need to be an Australian resident with a residential address in order to qualify. In some cases you may also find that there is a separate age requirement for the Visa Debit Card, and you will instead be issued a standard access card for your account if you fall under that age requirement. Before making a final choice, make sure that you read the fine print and are comparing the account differences with other Australian Banks’ similar accounts.