Get cover that works for your pet and your budget.
RACV Pet Insurance
Get up to 80% back on vet costs for your pet - as much as $12,000 a year.
RACV offers a single type of pet insurance, which covers up to 80% of vet costs for illness or injury to your cat or dog, up to a yearly maximum of $12,000. If you’re hospitalised, RACV will offer up to $1,000 of emergency boarding costs for your pet while you’re indisposed. In the sad event of your pet having to be put down, you’ll be covered for 80% of the cost. Going on a trip? RACV’s pet cover extends to pets taken abroad to New Zealand or Norfolk Island.
RACV pet insurance is not currently available via Finder. But don't fret! You can head to their website at www.racv.com.au for more information or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder.
What other cover options does RACV Pet Insurance offer?
For the keen pet owner who likes to take extra-special care of their pal, you can spring for the “Tender Loving Care” option, which will cover up to $100 on preventative treatments that keep your pet in tip-top shape.
What isn’t covered under my policy?
Not everything that happens to your pet will be reimbursed by your provider. Any costs relating to the following will not be covered:
- Any damage incurred while your animal is being used for commercial purposes, such as a guard dog.
- Breeding or obstetrics.
- Cat- or dog-specific infectious diseases, such as Feline Infectious Peritonitis or canine distemper.
- Cosmetic or elective procedures, like pet liposuction.
- Damage from deliberate acts directed towards your pets by you or others living with you.
- Emergency boarding costs if you’re in hospital for cosmetic surgery, or a condition you knew about before taking out the policy.
- Emergency boarding costs if someone you live with could reasonably take care of the animal.
- Euthanasia costs related to excluded illnesses and any burial costs.
- Injury or illness abroad unless it is specifically while on holiday to New Zealand or Norfolk Island.
- Injury or illness related to a behavioural disorder of your pet, like anxiety.
- Neglect or any injuries or illness arising from your failure to take care of your pet or take reasonable precautions for their health.
- Pre-existing or excluded conditions, such as any disease caused by a parasite other than a paralysis tick.
- Regular, routine treatments like dental care, or extras like grooming, accessories, or food supplements.
- Training programs for your pet.
- Unnecessary hospitalisation or emergency transport costs.
What do I do if I need to make a claim?
If something happens to your pet, RACV recommends you follow these steps:
- Contact RACV insurance. You can make a claim to RACV either via phone on 1800 31 94 98 or online at racv.com.au/petinsurance.
- Provide a treatment history. RACV requires a full history of your pet’s treatment from the current vet as well as from any previous vets.
- Provide invoices. You will need to provide the original itemised invoices and receipts from any treatment.
What are the benefits of choosing RACV Pet Insurance?
You have a choice of a $0, $100, or $200 excess, which means that you can choose to pay slightly more each month in premiums to not pay anything out of pocket if you need to make a claim. The ‘Tender Loving Care’ optional benefit can help ease the financial pressure of many of those small treatments that really make a difference for your pet.
You may also be able to waive a pre-existing condition your pet had before applying for insurance if you can prove the condition has been free of any signs or symptoms of it or related conditions for the last 18 months.
Whether your cherished companion is a little furball or a big bouncy floofer, they can get into a ton of trouble. Without insurance, vet bills for trivial-seeming things can easily spiral into the thousands. RACV Pet Insurance will help ensure that taking care of your animal friend doesn’t cost the world.
Read more on this topic
In defence of pet insurance The pet insurance industry has come under fire recently, but here are 5 reasons why pet owners should think twice before cancelling their policy.
Trupanion Pet Insurance Trupanion offers a one-of-a-kind pet insurance policy that has few rivals in terms of how much cover it offers.
National Seniors Pet Insurance National Seniors offers pet insurance to everyone, not just seniors. Here's what you need to know about their straightforward yet customisable policies.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats? We've crunched the numbers for 96 cat breeds.
Protecting your Staffordshire Bull Terrier Your guide to protecting your Staffie.
Kogan Pet Insurance Your guide to Kogan's Pet Insurance policies.
The most popular dog breeds around the world In Afghanistan, people search for the Afghan Hound more than any other dog. Use this interactive map to explore our findings for the rest of the world.
Cost of pets How much do pets actually cost? We’ve crunched the numbers.
Diabetes in dogs The ultimate guide to diabetes in dogs, including its causes, symptoms, treatment and prevention options.